Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 22:15
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 143/136/121 Female 5' 3''
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default Cheaters?

Today was day 14 of PI and I cheated! I was doing so well with only eating legal foods. I have been reading the forum for a long time now. You all are very encouraging and that helped me to stick with the porgram. It was really hard for me to go without fruit and sugar. I love starch too, but somehow avoided it. I still want to begin Phase 2 tomorrow because I'm really looking forward to the fruit! But I feel bad about the carrot cake I ate! (not just three bites either) Any other cheating confessions out there?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 22:20

Plan: Low carb/healthy
Stats: 154.4/119.0/125 Female 5ft4 and 3/4ths
BF:don't ask...
Progress: 120%

I am proud to say that I didn't cheat at all during my phase 1..the days seemed to go so fast. Needless to say, after being on the diet for some time..I had a "binge" night..Guess I went w/o for so long..Everyone has cheats..that is just normal..As long as you dont stay on that cheat for a "long" time..blow it off and go back to lcing..you should be ok..dont be so hard on yourself..
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 22:51
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 219/211/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

*raises hand* I've cheated. More than once. I did so well in phase one, but as soon as the last hour of that day was up I had 3 cookies. I went ahead and started phase 2 the next day when I got up. Today I had a cookie too, but just one, and went ahead and had nice healthy stuff for the rest of my meals. I don't know that my quarters of a hershey's special dark bar count as cheating since chocolate is allowed every now and then in phase 2.

It's weird, I really don't miss the bread or pasta so much. The fruit isn't a big deal to me either, because there are so few fruits that I like anyway (cantaloupe, strawberries, granny smith apples, asian pears, and unripe bananas being the only ones I can think of at the moment...) I really do miss sweet tea though... what can I say, I'm a southern girl.

But back on topic -- as long as you feel okay with it, I'd say you can probably go ahead and start phase 2.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 23:15

Plan: general leaning toward Sb
Stats: 336/196/150 Female 5'4"
BF:gettin/down/there
Progress: 75%

Try not to beat yourself up. Just go back on your plan with the next meal. We all have a rough time now and then. I just got off a whole month of "rough time". It does get alot easier once you get to phase two.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 02:59
Registered Member

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 400/343.4/205 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 29%

I haven't cheated on anything not legal so far in P1. I will admit to eating more then the allowed nuts on more then one day though
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 08:27

Plan: IF & Paleo
Stats: 270/254/150 Female 68 inches
BF:--- too much!
Progress: 13%

I've eaten off-plan on all phases of the Beach. It's only ever hindered me if I've binged and then thrown the entire week away. Just dust yourself off and move on.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 08:28

Plan: SBD / BFL
Stats: 304.5/285.5/235 Male 6'1"
BF:40%/38%/15%
Progress: 27%

Nevis:

It happens, the key is to acknowledge the cheat and just get back on track after it. For instance I had a cheat last night, I knew it was a cheat, heck I planned it as a cheat, but it was something I wanted to do, and now that it's past I am back on plan today. If a cheat slows you down from hitting goal for an extra week, no harm done. SBD is a WOE not a diet, and once you hit goal you will continue to eat as you do in Phase III, so not to worry.

Now I personally am going to do Phase I for another week, but that's a personal choice so I can work the carbs from 4 pieces of thin crust pepperoni pizza out of my system.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 10:20

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

I've cheated ...not a lot...and almost always the cheat was planned...for a special occaission, a hockey game, or a night out partying. As others have said....the key is to get back on track ASAP...don't use the cheat as a starting point to go way off track. I really believe that this WOE is designed to allow us to live and enjoy life...can I eat badly once or twice a month? Yes. Can I eat badly everyday? Only if I want to end up in the same shape I was in a year ago.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 11:19

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 166/160/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default upcoming cheat...

Well, I am only on day 3 of ph1, but I have to go out to dinner at a friends home next Friday and I know I will cheat. I have decided not to say anything to anyone that I am on this diet in case I fail and I also hate when friends and family ask how I'm doing, how much weight have I lost, or look at me sizing me up. I would rather just go about it quietly until I gain some confidence.

So, knowing that I have to eat what is served, I will bring a salad as part of my contribution and ignore the bread, and hopefully only eat the roast beef and veggies without bringing attention to myself. There will be desert and drinks...and I do love to drink either wine or beer so I will have to nurse a red wine or beer and hopefully no one will notice.

I probably sound silly, but it is worrying me and having people know I'm on the diet (except for my husband and kids) would stress me out!!

So, in my long winded reply, my point is...don't beat yourself up. As someone else mentioned, it is a way of life, one day only, just keep going. I plan to cheat once I get thru this period. I don't plan to live my life without a cookie or slice of cake on occassion.

I just need to learn how to live within a new comfort zone. I don't like the old feeling of always craving food. I quite like this new feeling of contentment. Though, I feel strange and out of sorts because my routine is on its head! So, if your going to cheat at least enjoy it and move on!!

time4me
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 14:33

Plan: southbeach
Stats: 267/259/140 Female 5ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Reality

Isn't the whole idea to stay with a lifesyle you can live with? Don't we all need to indulge now and then so that life can be exciting? I feel it's important to indulge say twice a month, so that It's rewarding to stay on the straight and narrow the rest of the time. I have already incorporated this idea into my plan, becauseI think it's all so mental! In order for me to suceed, I know I have to get real in order to have willpower 90% of the time. I have lost 7 pounds in 7 days. I just started. I will go to the movies on January 29 and have popcorn- exactly like I like it- no alterations! That is reality. I will deserve it. I will feel great about getting right back on track my next meal.( my husbands birthday is the 29th. He wants to see hide and seek with robert denerio)

Last edited by faithcrow : Wed, Jan-19-05 at 14:36. Reason: bad spelling
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 18:16

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 303/282/230 Male 71 inches
BF:40
Progress: 29%

Time4me, people will usually only take notice if you totally don't eat, make an announcement or put 1-2 small items on a plate. Take the meat and then load up on the salad you will bring. The plate will be full (no room to set the bread on it) and you will be satisfied as well. Everything else is a decision. I would not make the decision to cheat until you hit phase 2 and let phase 1 do as much good as it can and get rid of those cravings.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 05:44
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 143/136/121 Female 5' 3''
BF:
Progress: 32%

I am back on track again. I enjoyed reading about your views on cheating though. I used to live for dessert. I know there are desserts you can make that aren't as bad, but I will probably have a planned cheat at an event sometime if I keep myself on track the other times.

I know what you mean about people noticing you are eating differently. I went to a party during phase I and there was nothing I could eat. I did eat some veggie lasgna and avoided the noodles. I'm sure that looked strange. It is frustrating to tell people about the new way you are eating because so many people I know will say it is a fad, and won't listen to the science of it. Or that I don't ned to lose any weight. My goal is to fit into jeans I wore last summer. Thanks for all of your responses!
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 09:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Here's how is see this issue: Phase I is not a place to cheat. I think it is very important to do the 2 weeks as they are intended. My phase I took me 4 weeks as my first 2 weeks were filled with booboos. I would not allow myself to begin phase II until I had done 2 perfect weeks in phase I.

Phase II is more about how to do this and live with it as way of life. I have little cheats all the time. BUT they are little cheats and within the boundaries of this plan. At a party they had a very special cheesecake a few months back. I had 1 bite!! It worked for me!!

The thing that scares me about cheating at the beginning is that it sets up our mind to go back to the way we ate before this plan. I am very cautious because of this.

SBD asks for us to eat whole wheat pasta. I hate whole wheat pasta and will not eat it! I found Dreamfields pasta which is made a semolina flour infused with fiber to bring the carb count down. It works for me and I do consider this a cheat....a planned cheat as I have this about every 2-3 weeks, not every day like I used to do!!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-20-05, 09:12

Plan: South Beach(Phase III)
Stats: 235/187/190 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevis
It is frustrating to tell people about the new way you are eating because so many people I know will say it is a fad, and won't listen to the science of it.
I really don't mention South Beach or LC to anyone other than VERY close friends and family. If someone comments or asks, I just say that over the last year I began exercising and I started eating only whole unprocessed foods that contain no transfats and that I avoid sugar and saturated fats. In reading what the new fed dietary guidelines are going to look like, it sounds a lot like SB to me.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jan-21-05, 13:03

Plan: south beach diet
Stats: 231/202/154 Female 5ft 4inches
BF:37%/34.1%/25%
Progress: 38%

The scales was up today and was'nt sure why, and did not stick around to think about it, I went home with a bar of chocolate yes and I ate it, I did'nt even enjoy it but some hours later realised the scales tipping the other way was due to woman things! so at the moment im on a guilt trip, plus there is a family gathering tomorrow and I will have to drink, with my family there is no other way, so lads and ladies I will be back to repeat my phase 1