Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Nov-22-10, 14:23

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 228/156/140 Female 66 inches
BF:22%
Progress: 82%
Default Candice's Low Carb Soft Ginger Cookies

Candice's Low Carb Soft Ginger Cookies

http://candiceslowcarbrecipes.typep...er-cookies.html

makes 20 cookies

Ingredients:

1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 Tablespoon shortening
1 cup granulated splenda
3 large eggs
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 teaspoons fresh ginger, finely chopped or grated *
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves

Instructions:

In a small bowl mix coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves and salt. Set aside.

In mixer with paddle attachment cream butter, shortening and splenda until light and fluffy. Add eggs 1 at a time. Scrape down sides of bowl.
Add the coconut flour mixture & fresh ginger, mix on low speed till combined. Turn mixer up to Med/High speed till mixture comes together and is smooth.

*OPTIONAL, can be used right away* Put cookie dough in to an air tight container and place in refrigerator till dough is firm and easy to work with(at least 1 hour)

Preheat oven to 350F

Line cookie sheet with parchment paper
Scoop with a 1 Tablespoon cookie scoop(#60), if you don’t have one, scoop 1 Tablespoon then roll in your hand to make ball.
Press down cookie with palm of your hand, just enough to flatten slightly.

Bake ~ 350F for 10-15 mins (10 mins for softer cookie,15 mins for a little harder cookie)

*I like fresh ginger in my cookies but if you don't or just don't have any on hand, use 1 Tablespoon ground ginger total in recipe instead.

**Unlike a tradition ginger snap, these are light in color and flavor is not as rich. What gives a tradition gingersnap it’s dark color & rich taste is Molasses. It really is up to you if you feel that color is necessary. But to me it’s not..definitely not with how many carbs/sugar molasses has. If you want that dark color add a few teaspoons to 2 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses. Traditionally I would add 2 Tablespoons to a recipe this size when not concerned about carbs/sugar.

Nutritional information for 1 cookie:

Energy 44 kcal
Carbohydrate, TOTAL 2.29 g
Sugars, total 0.17 g
Fiber, total dietary 0.63 g
Protein 1.28 g
Total lipid (fat) 3.83 g

Last edited by Candiflip : Mon, Nov-22-10 at 22:21.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 20:38

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

WOO HOO!

Of all the things that come to mind, things I really truly miss since low carbing...Ginger Snaps are right at the very top of the list! Well, not anymore and at about 2 carbs per cookie....weeeeeeeee!

#3   ^
Old Tue, Nov-23-10, 21:16

Hope you enjoy
And forgot to put in recipe.. need to edit it in.. always make sure your powdered ginger is fresh.. it loses it punch after a while
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 18:51

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Hmmm ... I made a pan of these cookies today - had 19 cookies when I put the pan in the oven, had one big greasy cookie when I took it out! I can cut the big cookie into cookie size squares, but they'll still be too greasy to handle. I wonder what I did wrong? It seems like either too much butter, or not enough coconut flour, but I measured carefully. Any ideas?
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 19:07

I have no idea Glenda. I'm so sorry. I measure and even weight almost all my ingredients to ensure I post accurate recipes. I really have no idea what could of happen. Did you cream your butter, not melt it?
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 19:23

BF:

Yes, definitely creamed it ... a zillion years ago, when I first started to learn to cook, my mom made darn sure I knew what was a fluffy creamed butter! Back then, it was a hand-operated egg-beater and very strong arm!

The only difference from your recipe was that I used a combination of 3 different sweeteners but I can't see how that would make a difference.

ETA: I do have it right don't I ... 1/2 cup =1/4 pound of butter?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-26-10, 19:58

Yup that right, 4oz. Humm I'm not sure. I have never used anything other then splenda. I think Rox made them as well.. wonder how hers turned out? And what sweeteners she used?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 15:50

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

Glenda, what sweeteners did you use? The sweetener is part of the bulk- if you were using a liquid, or something with less volume, you'd usually have to cut back on the butter amount...
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Dec-01-10, 17:31

BF:

Thanks Requin, no liquid sweeteners -- I used 1/4 C. of granulated Splenda, 1/4 C. of brown Sugar Twin, and 1/4 C. of xylitol. When I cut the resultant mess into cookie size pieces, I also noticed that the batter had separated making a top layer of wonderfully flavoured ginger cookie and a bottom layer of a kind of eggy-flavoured, lighter coloured stuff.

I haven't made a second attempt yet, but I think I may just cut back a tad on either the butter or the eggs, or add more coconut flour. I looked up my old "Joy of Cooking" recipe and saw that her ginger cookies didn't have any eggs at all!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 14:46

Plan: General
Stats: 162.8/153.4/125 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

I had the same "giant cookie" problem as Glenda today. The dough was not at all as thick as a regular cookie dough when I scooped it out, and turned into a very thin mass in the oven. I've looked at another low carb cookie recipe that uses a similar amount of coconut flour and other ingredients--but includes an extra cup of almond flour, which I think would definitely help. I'll give it another go, either adding the almond flour or more coconut flour until it feels like the right thickness.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 14:53

wow so odd. I really have no idea. for me it's PLENTY of coconut flour. I never had any issues. I bake with it all the time and always get great results. A little really goes a long way. Coconut flour is mostly all fiber and SOAKS up the liquid like crazy. And yes the dough should be soft.. it's a little softer then a normal cookie dough, but I never had the issue like you and glenda are having. For me I would never add any more coconut flour nor a cup of almond flour to the recipes I have posted when I make. They just would not turn out. I'm so sorry you are having this problem with the recipe..
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 16:34

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candiflip
Yup that right, 4oz. Humm I'm not sure. I have never used anything other then splenda. I think Rox made them as well.. wonder how hers turned out? And what sweeteners she used?

Sorry that you are having difficulties with these as well. I used a mix of powder splenda, Ideal and EzSweetz and they turned out fine, they were softer and a little more cakey than I like, I think that I will bake a little longer next time. I will also decrease my sweetner a tad too.
Rox
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 18:23

BF:

I suspect that my problem might have been caused by using Sugar Twin in the sweetener mix. I see on the package that Sugar Twin has only 1/11th the bulk of sugar -- when I try again by this weekend, I'll use just Splenda and xylitol. Will let you know the result.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 18:30

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlendaRC
I suspect that my problem might have been caused by using Sugar Twin in the sweetener mix. I see on the package that Sugar Twin has only 1/11th the bulk of sugar -- when I try again by this weekend, I'll use just Splenda and xylitol. Will let you know the result.

They are really good, glad that you are going to try again.
DD
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Dec-15-10, 21:02
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

I wonder if another issue could be the coconut flour. I buy it in bulk, and there's no nutrition information with it at the store. So I went hunting around on the 'net. I was disappointed to find three completely different sets of nutrition facts. It could be some kind of labeling or calculation error, but it could also be that different brands are vastly different products. One seemed to be relatively high in fiber, low in calories. Another seemed to be much fattier, and higher in calories. I would imagine this would give the different coconut flours different baking properties.