Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#151   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:04

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 163/121/135 Female 5ft. 7 inches
BF:Just perfect:)
Progress: 150%

Margot,

I have been lurking at the zeroing in health for the past month. I saw your pics, you too look amazing. You are actually my motivation to start zero carb & I cannot thank you enough. I guess at times there are people that you can relate to that truly are an inspiration and I cannot thank you enough for being my true inspiration
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:28

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
Re: Dr Mike and the question on bone health. I asked him this-

His answer:

Re: people asking questions.

I hope no one feels they can't ask a question here. There are folks that are new to this coming in all the time, and they have questions. Not a damn thing wrong with that, or in having those questions answered.

Is ZC the best way to eat? I believe so.

Is ZC a cure-all? No, no such thing exists. But the best thing to do, is give it an honest try. Realize that there will be bumps in the road. Realize that you may see things that will cause you to question its validity, but that others have seen the same things, and rode out the rough patch, and seen ZC overcome their issues and doubts.

Just give it a chance.

Thank you so much, Daryl.

The question of eating fruits and vegetables is largely academic for me, since I was never able to stick to a lowcarb diet that included them. I would continue ZC, but use supplements if I really thought it was necessary for complete health. I guess the jury's still out on that (for me) but I wouldn't think of stopping ZC.
  #153   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:36

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

You're welcome, Happy. Some use supplements, most seem to not do so. I do take magnesium on occasion, and D3.
  #154   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:51

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

That's what I'm looking forward to ... not taking supplements. I've been taking a number of things, including magnesium, potassium, D3, krill oil, Omega 3, Iodoral, and a few other things I can't think of at the moment. The krill oil and Omega 3 are for arthritis. I have very little cartilege left in my medial right knee, and will likely need a partial knee replacement next year. I've been putting it off, thinking I can get relief through what I eat (meaning meat, not wheat). It's getting so bad, though, that I don't think even going totally completely ZC will help.

The magnesium, potassium, and D3 will likely stay, but the others probably won't be renewed. But, if I feel as good as all you promise I'll feel, maybe I don't need the magnesium or potassium (for leg cramps) either. D3 is here to stay, though.
  #155   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:52
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Yes, all that is true, but I have no idea of the minutiae of their diet. Sin88 posted information about certain Inuit who ate bones, others who did not and that is helpful. Did they eat fish? Fish bones?
I'm not sure how bones come into play here. I was responding to the concern that you need carbs in your diet to prevent meat from leaching calcium from your bones. As to whether extra calcium beyond muscle meat is needed, that's another can of worms imo.

joe
  #156   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 09:21
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl
And on bone health and ZC: Lex Rooker, ZC for 5 or 6 years now, just had tests done on his bones, and they were very healthy, in the upper statistical limits.
Daryl, I don't think Lex's results are in the upper range; they're fairly close to average. Lex's bone scan results are analyzed here:
http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/...assessment.html

Lex's results are that he has about 93% of the bone density of a 30-year old, and has about 1% more bone density than the average person his age (58). That puts him just over the 50th percentile (can't tell exactly where due to rounding, but it's less than the 52nd percentile). So his bones are in average condition for someone his age.

It's hard to conclude much since he was vegan for 20 years before switching to ZC. Vegans would say their diet is so awesome that even after eating an insane diet for 5 years he was still in good shape. ZCers can be proud that just 5 years of ZC undoes 20 years of veganism. Even worse, without baseline data from when he was younger, it's hard to conclude even that much. Perhaps at age 30 (before his vegan and ZC adventures) his bone density was 150% due to good genes and some accidental good diet choices, and he's been hurting his bones ever since with two substandard diets. Or, his density at age 30 could have been 80%, and two good diets since then have helped him. (I think veganism is not a good thing for bone density, but am trying to be thorough in thinking of causes for his Dexa results

About the only take away I see is that 5 years of ZC probably doesn't do anything catastrophic to your bones.

I haven't followed Lex closely, but knows he does raw food and think he uses grass fed meat. Did he spend most of his ZC time eating that way?

Like Lex, I'm a bit concerned about my bone density. Not from ZC: I had clinically low levels of vitamin D (19) and a bunch of cavities--all from before ZC. However, I'm not sure it's worth the radiation exposure from the x-rays to do the measurement since I'm not sure what I'd do differently.

joe
  #157   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 09:21

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2
I'm not sure how bones come into play here. I was responding to the concern that you need carbs in your diet to prevent meat from leaching calcium from your bones. As to whether extra calcium beyond muscle meat is needed, that's another can of worms imo.

joe

I see those as two sides of the same coin re: bone health. Do fruit and veg prevent bone loss, and did the Inuit do fine without them because of something in their diet that we might not get with muscle meat alone? (Not looking for an answer from you, personally, just clarifying how those two facets of the discussion are related for me. )
  #158   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 09:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2
...I'm a bit concerned about my bone density....
joe

So am I. I'm a 52 year old, small-boned, white woman, whose mother has osteoporosis (terrible "dowager's hump".) I think that about covers all the main risk factors! Hence my interest in this subject. If there's anything I can do to improve my chances of avoiding this disease, I want to know.
  #159   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 10:41

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Good points, Joe, regarding Lex; I think it was his slight "above average" for his age that was making me think he had a higher rating. Still, the fact that his bones aren't cracking is a good sign

And I do think he's been raw almost all, if not all, of his ZC time. Some will say that makes the difference; I hope they're wrong, because I have zero interest in raw meat.
  #160   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 14:50

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea
NO! I was very happy with my weight and had no desire to lose more. I dropped eggs cause I met Charles and he did not eat eggs, so I tried life without them and did not miss them. No other reason.
Salt. I had to drop the salt due to sudden leg cramps. I LOVED salt. That was a rough one. But, the leg cramps went away when I dropped salt. I just lost my taste for other spices as well, but that happened naturally.
Coffee. I worked hard to reduce myself to one cup a day, but wa sin no hurry to lose my last cup. I woke up one morning and decided to not have coffee. I had tried to eliminate coffee two times in the past, but failed. This last time my body was ready I guess.

Ah OK, thanks! I find this very encouraging for some reason.
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:09

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Ah OK, thanks! I find this very encouraging for some reason.

Ok, So I have a warped sense of humour...
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:40

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Because is was easy. I never forced myself to drop anything, but the salt. And I had a very good reason for the salt. I always tell people to take their time, it will all happen naturally. Also, take your own path. I never did something cause Charles had success with it. Just because he ate ground beef, did not mean I had to eat ground beef. Too many people think they have to eat exactly like a successful zc'er in order to have their own success. Not true.
I eat much differently today than when I was losing. I went through periods of eating raw meat, now I eat well done. I do what works for me.
And, I am honest. I do not lie to myself. If you are 200 pounds and not losing, something is wrong.
I am a bit heavier than usual right now. Why? I am over eating. That simple.
  #163   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 15:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea
Why? I am over eating. That simple.

Any idea why you're overeating?
  #164   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 16:36

Plan: My Way.
Stats: 178/173/140 Female 63 inches.
BF:
Progress: 13%

I think Suzanne has hit the nail on the head. ZC to me is a bit of a maze, I for one, thought others could lead me through. I think now, that others can assist by pointing out their direction but in the end I must find my own way. Salt for instance, I dumped without a backward glance but coffee & double cream, no way!!
I think ZC will be right for me - in the long run ...

Last edited by Nuttygran : Mon, Dec-07-09 at 04:54.
  #165   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 17:08

Plan: carnivore
Stats: 315/197/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 79%

had a bowl of ground beef for breakfast, and 2 small plates of turkey with fat & juices for "lupper". And drank a litre of water. Couldn't possibly think of eating again tonight. SO not hungry. Went to the gym and did mostly upper body and abdominal weight training, finishing with a 20 minute walk. I've got the membership, so I might as well use it and try to build some muscle so I don't keep hurting myself. My job consists of lifting a lot of heavy boxes nearly every day as I load and unload my truck. Think I'm going to have a cup of chai and take a nice long bath.
Closed Thread