Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#136   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 13:37

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot
I am not Suzanne, but she no longer exercises either. I believe she dropped 7-10 in about a week when she quit going to the gym last summer, isn't that right Suz??

I don't either- but only because I am lazy. Maybe after I lose more weight. I am down 35# in a bit less than 3 months. I am quite heavy tho, and could probably not make the same claim if I was closer to goal. We will see when we get there.
Sponsored Links
  #137   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 13:46

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I sat on my butt for my entire weight loss of 85lbs in 18 months.

First 43 on VLC/HF in 5.5 months

The last 42 on ZC in 6 months

My hubby does not work out either and everyone wants to know how he got so buff without going to the gym or doing anything physical.
  #138   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 13:46

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Thanks, SLN, for posting that research. It's very interesting. I studied human paleontology in grad school, and fully understood the negative impact that agriculture brought to the human body.

I guess the carbs were fogging my brain back then, because I didn't put 2 and 2 together. It took reading Protein Power before the light bulb came on and I finally understood why the low-fat, low-protein, high-pasta diet I had been on was only making me gain more and more weight.
  #139   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 13:54

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

I did not exercise when I was losing either, I went back to the gym when Andrew was 3 1/2 cause I wanted something to do when he was at pre-school. But, stopped all workouts this summer. A very good move.
  #140   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 17:28
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMiller26
Drank 1.5 litres of carbonated mineral water yesterday. Figured it would flush me out. Instead, in the middle of the night I had the worst cotton mouth, as if I'd been drinking vodka all night, and I seem to have gained 1.5 lbs this morning. Probably salt related, but that's what the water was for. Frustrating. Then I compounded the issue this morning by eating way too much bacon. So I'll probably be up again tomorrow. Darn it. I'm not losing as quickly as I was in the beginning, and this last week I'm fighting for tenths of a pound. Wonder what's going on and what I need to adjust.
I'd suggest not thinking about day to day weight loss. An overnight "gain" of 1.5 lbs is some combination of the following:
1. Muscle growth
2. Fat gain
3. Water retention
4. Measurement error--your scale will give you varying readings (at least mine does).

Realistically, it's mostly #3 and #4. Don't worry about how much water you'll have to drink and how it will make the scale will go up two days in a row. Gain from water retention is unimportant, and does not change fat loss (to the best of my knowledge)--that part you really care about.

If you start focusing on day to day scale changes as a progress monitor, you can start doing things like not drinking enough water since you know it will make you weigh more. Been there, done that. Bleah.

joe
  #141   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 17:36
Registered Member

Plan: Pure Carnivore (+salt :-)
Stats: 289/240/00 Male 5'9"
BF:35?%/?%/10%?
Progress: 17%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
I don't understand that response. BawdyWench raised an interesting, health-related question, and we're all here for our health...I know I am. I'm definitely interested in knowing if there's a possibility that an all-meat diet is lacking in any way or might be harmful down the road.
Well, I'd think of it this way: let's look for ways to test the theory and its implications. Consider the Intuit, who due to lack of carbs would be predicted to be a frail people ill-adapted to arctic life. Then Europeans came and introduced trading posts. Invigorated by the new carbs in their diet the Inuit became strong of stature. History already tested that hypothesis and found it wanting.

The idea just sounds odd, and if humans had that drawback in the past it seems like something that would have been bred out during the ice age.

In terms of Osteoporosis, there are modern hunter-gatherers who have been "discovered" at various points in (well-recorded) history. If frail bones were an issue, it would have been noticed.

joe
  #142   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 19:21

Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I agree. That's why I'm so curious as to why Dr. Mike would have posted it.
  #143   ^
Old Sat, Dec-05-09, 20:15

Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanneyea
I have been zero carb for about 6 years now. But when I first started I ate eggs, cheese, mayo, and coffee with cream. I gradually eliminated those things from my diet, as I wanted.

Suzanne, if I may ask, why did you eliminate these? Was it necessary for continued weight loss?
Thanks.
  #144   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 05:14

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 168/110/115 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fauve
Suzanne, if I may ask, why did you eliminate these? Was it necessary for continued weight loss?
Thanks.

NO! I was very happy with my weight and had no desire to lose more. I dropped eggs cause I met Charles and he did not eat eggs, so I tried life without them and did not miss them. No other reason.
Salt. I had to drop the salt due to sudden leg cramps. I LOVED salt. That was a rough one. But, the leg cramps went away when I dropped salt. I just lost my taste for other spices as well, but that happened naturally.
Coffee. I worked hard to reduce myself to one cup a day, but wa sin no hurry to lose my last cup. I woke up one morning and decided to not have coffee. I had tried to eliminate coffee two times in the past, but failed. This last time my body was ready I guess.
  #145   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 06:14
Registered Member

Plan: VLC/ZC
Stats: 147/135.2/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 44%

Can i ask you guys a question:

i'm having a really hard time with nausea.

first it was with steak. i moved to ground beef 80/20 for a couple days and its really bad.

it happens about an hour or two after i eat. but the thought of eating for the rest of the day is terrible. even after i haven't eaten for 8-10 hours

lately i've been eating at 8-9 am (i wake at 5-6am) and then feel like i really need to eat by 4-5pm but the nausea is just terrible

should i try chicken(less fat) for a couple days?

is my body detoxing? is this normal?
  #146   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 06:33

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sln88
He noted Eskimos who lived their entire lives exclusively on seal and there was no indication that they were no less healthy than the caribou eaters nor do their skeletons show any lack of calcium. The calcium deficiency was as absent from those meat-eaters who never ate bones as it was from those who ate them nearly every day of their lives.

Thank you so much. That is exactly the kind of thing I was concerned about.
  #147   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 06:36

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Yes, I'd try less fat for a day or two, lovebeing. You kinda sorta have to go from one side to the other (more fat, less fat), to see what your body needs.
  #148   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 06:41

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB2
Well, I'd think of it this way: let's look for ways to test the theory and its implications. Consider the Intuit, who due to lack of carbs would be predicted to be a frail people ill-adapted to arctic life. Then Europeans came and introduced trading posts. Invigorated by the new carbs in their diet the Inuit became strong of stature. History already tested that hypothesis and found it wanting.

The idea just sounds odd, and if humans had that drawback in the past it seems like something that would have been bred out during the ice age.

In terms of Osteoporosis, there are modern hunter-gatherers who have been "discovered" at various points in (well-recorded) history. If frail bones were an issue, it would have been noticed.

joe

Yes, all that is true, but I have no idea of the minutiae of their diet. Sin88 posted information about certain Inuit who ate bones, others who did not and that is helpful. Did they eat fish? Fish bones? I'm starting to believe (hoping!) that it's not a cause for concern but you must admit this is rather uncharted dietary territory for modern people.

LOL at the bolded part of your quote - that's my dream!

ETA: That should say "chewed bones", not ate them!

Last edited by HappyLC : Sun, Dec-06-09 at 08:13.
  #149   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 06:48

Re: Dr Mike and the question on bone health. I asked him this-

Quote:
From what I read in the rebuttal (well done, by the way!), I would say that you do believe there is some potential for bone health issues, if one eats a zero carb diet. Is the evidence for that strong, and do you indeed feel that to be the case? Thanks in advance.

His answer:

Quote:
The evidence comes mainly from observational studies, which are pretty much worthless for determining causality. But just to be on the safe side, I like to add some green and colorful vegetables and berries, which counter the acidic effects of the protein.

Re: people asking questions.

I hope no one feels they can't ask a question here. There are folks that are new to this coming in all the time, and they have questions. Not a damn thing wrong with that, or in having those questions answered.

Is ZC the best way to eat? I believe so.

Is ZC a cure-all? No, no such thing exists. But the best thing to do, is give it an honest try. Realize that there will be bumps in the road. Realize that you may see things that will cause you to question its validity, but that others have seen the same things, and rode out the rough patch, and seen ZC overcome their issues and doubts.

Just give it a chance.
  #150   ^
Old Sun, Dec-06-09, 08:00

And on bone health and ZC: Lex Rooker, ZC for 5 or 6 years now, just had tests done on his bones, and they were very healthy, in the upper statistical limits.
Closed Thread