Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 13:55

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 282/276/170 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default Looking for Christian buddy

First, I hope that no one takes offense to my request. I'm a Christian and that affects every area of my life. I like to share and interject my Christianity in my WOE, too. And that can be a bit too much for some.

So, I'm 45 yrs old, a grandma (my kids are all grown and gone), I live in NC, I'm unemployed - currently job seeking. My DH and I moved to NC last August. We're still not connected to a church and don't have any close friends.

I was on Atkins close to a year ago for about a year. I'd gotten under 200 lbs and felt super. Felt so good that I went back to my old habits. Like an alcoholic, I completely feel off the wagon and have had no urge to get back on it until now. I realize that I must make long-term WOL changes or I'm always going to be unhappy and probably die young.

I'd love some Atkins friends to check in with. I think accountability will really help all of us.

Hope to hear from you soon. God bless,
Randi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 14:16
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/152/115 Female 4 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi Randi, I am also a Christian. I am 44 yrs old and live in Austin, Texas. I have 6 children, 3 of whom are still at home. I am a homeschool mom. My 17 yr old goes to public school and the 12 yr old and 10 yr old stay here with me. I hope you find a good church soon. Maybe we could be buddies.
Carolyn
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:59

BF:

Hi HappyHat,
Glad to hear from you. How old are your older kids? Are they out of the house yet?

I'm 45, married, and kidless. Our kids are all grown. They are my son, 25; my daughter, 22; dh's son, 20, and dh's son, 18. Plus my son has given us a granddaughter.

We move to North Carolina last August. The kids and most of my family are back in WI and MN. I miss them all terribly.

About me: 246 lbs. Started ATkins today, although was on it for around a year, about one year ago. I'm looking forward to feeling good and getting all this weight off.

I used to live in Killeen TX in the mid 80s with my first husband. We were Army at Ft. Hood. I never wanted to go to TX due to all the spiders and snakes I heard about. But I loved TX, just like I loved all the placed I have ever lived.

How long have you been LCing. Which plan are you on? Atkins also?

God's blessings to you,
Randi
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 20:18

Stats: 137/133/125 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi,

I'm a stay at home mom and a christian. I'm 36 with two small girls. I'm also looking for support.

Angie
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 09:36

BF:

Hi Angie,

Glad to hear from you. Milwaukee, huh....I just moved from Eau Claire. Do you know where that is? I really liked Wisconsin a lot. Beautiful state....

How long have you been LCing? Will you still on it once you get down to your goal weight (which I see isn't far off)?

God bless and have a God-filled day.
RAndi
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:09

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hi Randisue, I am so glad you are here. I too am a Christian for 5 yrs. My youngest daughter of 15 and I came to the Lord at the same time. That was really nice too. I am 55 and care for my mom who lives here with the family. I have 2 older children, girl 34 and boy 30. I also am a grandmother of 9 grandchildren. I stay at home most of the time to care for mom so I have no one to talk to. Mom doesn't talk much. Love to be your buddy.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:18

BF:

Welcome Fat,

I guess we will just have to keep this thread going.

So how did you and your daughter ever come to know the Lord? How exciting to get saved at the same time.

I'm currently unemployed, so I have more time to be on the board. However there will come a day that I'll have to be back at work. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I guess.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:21

Plan: Modified VLCD
Stats: 456/431.2/185 Male 70"
BF:49%/??/11%
Progress: 9%

I am a Chrisitan and have been for 15 years (since I was 18). I am married to a lovely woman and we live in TN. I would happy to be your buddy
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 17:34

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Count me in, too! God has brought so many awesome buddies my way since beginning in April. I started a buddies thread just like you and have ended up with about 4 or 5 great buddies. I made it clear from the beginning that He is the wind beneath my wings, and others have joined in on it too. The buddies are so awesome, btw, that they've given me their addys to mail postcards from Europe on Friday!

NC, eh? My girlfriend from church just got back and brought me 2 bottles of Texas Pete! Woohoo! Woo-hot !

You don't ever have to worry about offending someone. God isn't offensive. He's always in our corner and always believes in us. No one can take offense to that, for sure!

I am very happily married, almost 22 years. We have 3 kids, and our oldest is making me a grandma. I'm 43 and can't wait to love that little girl due in early November! (I'm buying her a cute little Drindl, traditional folk German dress (Germany is one of our stops), to fit her when she's about 5 or 6. She and grandma already have a date to see the Nutcracker!

Ask any LC questions you have here and you'll get great responses. Randi you're gonna love the people here, they are precious.
Blessings and hugs, Annie-Pie
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:03

BF:

Hi Rick and Annie-Pie,

I'm so glad to know who all the Christian are. It will be nice to have "family" to lean on.

Rick: TN - that's just a stone's throw from here. How far are you from the NC border? We've been up to Asheville a couple of times. Sure if beautiful.

Annie: I'm confused by you mssg. Are you going to Europe on Friday? If so, first time? How long will you be gone.

I lived in Europe for 5 years (Army) with my first hubbie. It was a wondeful time I will never forget. I actually wanted to go back. I'd have been happy living in Italy.

Thanks everyone for coming forward and answering my call for buddies. I will say a prayer for all of you tonight.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 18:21

Stats: 140/123/120 Female 67 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 85%

Count me in I love the Lord!!! God is my base/foundation and all that I am!!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 20:24

Plan: General lo-carb
Stats: 212/212/120 Female 5 ft. 2 in.
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Jesus freak

I am so excited about this thread. I too love the Lord. He is there for me no matter what.

Amy
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:05

Plan: low carb
Stats: 174/110/110 Female 5' 1"
BF:20.8
Progress: 100%

Hello again Randisue, and everyone else. Hey this is really great. I love this. In answer to your question, my son got saved, and he & his wife were sharing the Lord Jesus to me. In turn I shared with my daughter one night and asked her if she would like to accept Christ as her savior and live forever with him. She said yes, so as I was leading her in prayer I also asked Jesus to forgive me also and be my savior too. The next day I told my son and his wife, and my husband got saved shortly after that. I have been asking Jehovah God for a long time for a way out of this fat body, and one day on the net I read how Dr. Atkins passed away. After reading about him, I decided to see what his diet was all about and here I am. Lost 28 lbs in 89 days and I never thought a diet could be so much fun. I know people who need the same help, and I do try to tell them about this diet, but they just do no show any interest in it, do you have that prob?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jul-15-03, 22:14
Registered Member

Stats: 190/152/115 Female 4 ft 11 in
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by randisue
Hi HappyHat,
Glad to hear from you. How old are your older kids? Are they out of the house yet?

I'm 45, married, and kidless. Our kids are all grown. They are my son, 25; my daughter, 22; dh's son, 20, and dh's son, 18. Plus my son has given us a granddaughter.

We move to North Carolina last August. The kids and most of my family are back in WI and MN. I miss them all terribly.

About me: 246 lbs. Started ATkins today, although was on it for around a year, about one year ago. I'm looking forward to feeling good and getting all this weight off.

I used to live in Killeen TX in the mid 80s with my first husband. We were Army at Ft. Hood. I never wanted to go to TX due to all the spiders and snakes I heard about. But I loved TX, just like I loved all the placed I have ever lived.

How long have you been LCing. Which plan are you on? Atkins also?

God's blessings to you,
Randi

My oldest is a son who is 28 and my next oldest is a daughter who will be 26 in October. BTW her father and I lived in Killeen and Temple while he was stationed at Fort Hood during the late 70's. Then we were in Germany for about a year and a half. They both live near by. They have their own homes. My daughter blessed us with a sweet grand daughter who unfortunately lived only 6 days. She had turners syndrone and needed a heart transplant. I don't have any other grand children yet. I am looking forward to that someday. My 16 year old son lives near Dallas with his uncle.
My sisters lived in Zebulon NC near Raleigh for many years. I have been to NC a few times. It's beautiful there. But Texas has a hold on me!
I started Atkins on May 23rd this year. I had done a low carb plan twenty years ago and really lost alot of weight. But I haven't dieted since then and really packed the pounds on. This will be a way of life for me now. I want to be healthier and feel better. I already can feel the difference. I hope to feel good enough to become as active as I used to be but I have a back problem and I am not sure if it will be physically possible. I am hoping losing the weight will be enough to allow more activity. I am being very cautious about that though because I don't want to injure myself. . It's good to see all the Christians on this board. What a joy!
God Bless,
Carolyn
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jul-16-03, 08:50

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 224/217/159 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Nice to meet you, Randi Sue. You've got a great response here from a wide variety of good friends! I can't put a price on the support I've found here. I think Rick would say the same thing. He is an all-around fun guy and his wife is awesome as well!

Yes we are planning on leaving on Friday. We are visiting our host son who lived with us last year from YoungLife's Amicus ministry. (I'm a YL leader).

We're headed to Munich to stay with he and his loving family.Grandparents have a house in the black forest, and they plan on taking us to Venice, Italy (A 6 hour drive) and Salzburg Austria. I love music, and classical is a hit with me. It woudl thrill me to see Mozart's house. Did you? Yes I do plan on buying many Mozart chocs.

Our oldest daughter gets to attend high school for a day. After hosting 20 foreign students, now she'll get a taste of what they go through here!My dream is to visit Royal Castle Newschwanstein, which you know as the castle that Disney modeled his Sleeping Beauty castle from. I read on their website yesterday that there are 165 steps to climb up in the caslte, and 181 down. Oh my! Glad I lost my weight!

I'd like the girls to see Dauchau. The youngest wonders why, and I tell her "because we cannot forget"

If you have tips for Germany, let me know. We'll be on our own for 10 days while school is in session. Also meeting a YL girl who just returned from North Carolina. Her host family runs Windy Gap.

Fat: First, can you tell us another name we can call you? Like sunshine, or cutie patootie, or something? About talking of Atkins, most of us here have found that our Way of Eating ("WOE") is the biggest example of Atkins. Which I compare to how we share Christ. If it doesn't show in our life, we better do a reality check. We can carry all the Atkins books we want, buy all the Atkins products we see at Walmart. We can also wear symbols and talk religious, but if it isn't genuine and meeting people's needs, then all it is is talk. Same comparison. So "Fat", you just continue to do your best. People will start noticing and that is the biggest seller. I know 4 friends doing Atkins WOL now because it is working for me. Please keep us posted how you do. About back pain, I have cysts on my lower spine with congenital scoliosis and a steel rod in it. No back pain but the cysts press on the tailbone and legs. talk about painful! The key to moving around is to know your limits, and stop before it hurts. Don't let "back pain" or anything else be a deterrent to staying with Atkins. Yes you are right, you will have more energy as you lose! You go, friend!
Happy day to all...Annie-Pie