Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 07:58

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Amy Berger: The voice of reason.

This blog post by Amy Berger at Tuit Nutrition pretty much sums up my philosophy.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2018/0...ml#comment-form

Keep it simple.

Jean
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 11:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Amy gets it. And I'm right there with you, Jean. Keep it simple and deliciousness is usually the result. The marketeers will always flock to a trend, and one can choose accordingly, but nothing outside of what one can do with whole ingredients in a kitchen is essential. Thanks for the link.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 15:17

Plan: Self-designed
Stats: 158/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Thanks! I feel so loved.
I notice traffic coming to my blog from this forum now and then...thanks for reading, everyone. I would love to participate in forums more than I do, but I find it kind of overwhelming. There are so many good ones, and if I would have to pick and choose which ones I would be able to keep up with and be active in regularly, well, I'd barely know where to start. I find it easier to stay away entirely. I feel the same way about Facebook. I hardly ever do anything these except post a link to a blog post I think is especially important, or some of my podcast interviews.

I love Twitter, though. I don't know what the psychological difference is between those two, but I really enjoy Twitter, while FB makes me want to run in the other direction screaming. ;-)

As for keeping things simple, in case anyone missed this post, this one is probably even better for that: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/1...ith-atkins.html
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-31-18, 18:29

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Keep doing what you do Amy. We appreciate it. I refer folks that fret about ketosis to your 3 part article many times

“I got kicked out of ketosis.”

All the best!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-01-18, 04:46

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Hi Amy, we all appreciate your voice of reason and excellent posts on your website. Thank you.

I do follow you on Twitter and a list of other LC superstars, but never have tweeted a peep. Not to worry about ignoring FB and forums, a dying media. As the recent Halle Berry news shows...now all the cool kids are on Instagram.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showpost...32&postcount=18

So here's the new challenge, try to convey your information in a few photographs. Apparently, you can write a little paragraph under the photo...
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 07:12

Here's more love for you, Amy

Amy has a great new video on "Why and Where our Bodies Store Fat"

https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...65016767556334/

It is her explanation of "The Personal Fat Threshold Theory", she mentions the studies proposing this theory near the start of her video.

You can hear Amy in person give a talk at the North Carolina Adapt Your Life event, all day Sept 22 in Roxboro NC. Good opportunity for most everyone in the NC/So. VA area, the day ends with Dr. Westman's one hour workshop how to do low carb. Almost sold out. The following weekend is another event in Arlington, VA for the DC metro area (but no Amy)

Details: https://www.facebook.com/events/429997014183381/

Amy, you are the only speaker I do not already know IRL, I hope to be there as a volunteer if available space after all the tickets sold. Hope to meet you,

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-19-18 at 07:21.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 10:03

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good video and explanation, thanks, again, for the informative link, Janet.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 14:13

Plan: Keto
Stats: 232.8/190/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I had to laugh when she mentioned 500 calorie cup of coffee, because that was exactly what my Bulletproof coffee was. I am a reformed Bulletproof Coffeeholic. The way I made it was great, more like desert, but 500 calories I don't need. I don't care about all the fancy recipes because I eat what I like and don't need to dress it up like most people. I do much better when I ignore all the sage advice and just do it like I did before.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 16:51

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuitNutrit
As for keeping things simple, in case anyone missed this post, this one is probably even better for that: http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2017/1...ith-atkins.html
Great post. That was me ( analysis paralysis ), several times, when I started Atkins' induction.

#10   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: Keto + IF
Stats: 260/300/165 Male 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: -42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Here's more love for you, Amy

Amy has a great new video on "Why and Where our Bodies Store Fat"

https://www.facebook.com/AdaptYourL...65016767556334/

It is her explanation of "The Personal Fat Threshold Theory", she mentions the studies proposing this theory near the start of her video.

Interesting theory, but if it's true I would expect people who undergo liposuction to be more likely to develop the metabolic diseases.

I couldn't find any good information on that.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 18:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Great post. That was me ( analysis paralysis ), several times, when I started Atkins' induction.

Curious if you started your joirney with a DANDR book in hand??
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Aug-19-18, 20:14

Plan: Self-designed
Stats: 158/130/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Thanks!

Amy here!
Oh my gosh... I feel so loved! Thank you all for posting links to my blog and videos. I honestly try to be a source of calm and reason. Keto/low carb are exploding in popularity now, so there are more and more people putting information out there. In some ways, this is great, but as you all know, the more information that's out there, the more nonsense is out there, too. And for people who are new to this, there's no way to tell the truth from the garbage.

I don't envy anyone who's new. When I was new to all this, there was really one one forum (Low Carb Friends), and only a few books -- the ones from Dr. Atkins, himself, Protein Power, and maybe one other. I can't imagine being new now, and trying to sort through the AVALANCHE of information out there now, most of which makes this so much more complicated, confusing, and expensive than it needs to be. I am constantly telling people to go back to a good ol' Atkins induction or Dr. Westman's "page 4." (Depending on the goal and individual situation, but for most people who come to me, that's the most effective thing they can do, at least to start out, or if they've been doing keto for a while -- or what they *think* is keto, but have not been getting results in terms of fat loss.)

Thanks again for the support and kind words. The internet can be so ugly sometimes. I try to stay above that and not make personal attacks on anyone or outright insult anyone, but if you follow me on Twitter, every once in a while something gets the best of me and I just have to tell it like it is. ;-)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-16-19, 10:00

Amy is back! (after a few months of traveling for talks, shorter posts and a move to Durham) with her more common "long-form" post about the Personal Fat Threshold.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2019/0...shold.html#more

I first heard of a PFT through Dr. Ted Naiman, and Amy includes links to his information. But her post is a good summary of a hypothesis of obesity that answers the five points about other explanations of obesity that fall short and require answers.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jan-17-19, 10:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuitNutrit
I love Twitter, though. I don't know what the psychological difference is between those two, but I really enjoy Twitter, while FB makes me want to run in the other direction screaming. ;-)

Me too! I love your stuff, Amy!
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Jan-19-19, 04:42
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Excellent post by Amy. She's a beauty. I was lucky enough to be at that presentation she mentioned in the post, and it was a real a-ha moment for me. The PFT concept makes such good sense. It helps dispel the "if you're fat, you're unhealthy (and immoral) /if you're thin, everything's fine" myth. It has always driven me bonkers when body fat is blamed for metabolic problems, instead of being seen as a symptom that not everyone with the same metabolic problems will necessarily have.

I just now found Dr Naiman's site, and I'll probably be geeking out there all weekend.