Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 00:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 241/192/100 Female 58 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Scale --what's yours and is it accurate?

I'm stuck away from home for several months now, and need to get a cheap bathroom scale that works reasonably well. (It's maddening only being able to check a scale at the doctor's ofc even though I still have another month or more with a (ten pound) cast, and having to balance on one foot.) All the ones I see online have terrible and inconsistent reviews. I don't care for anything fancy. I just want something that doesn't present a wildly different number every time you step on it. Because of my history with the brand, I'm leaning toward a Health o meter Professional Dial Scale, just a mechanical analog type. At home I have a digital that flashes thru fat%, etc, but if you get on it 5 times in a row, it will either give 5 different numbers OR fix on a number and ignore the 8 gal. jug you picked up to test for accuracy. So--I am open to scale advice.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 07:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I bought this one about five months and am happy with it.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Selected because it had 15 thousand!! Basically good reviews. It was giving different readings to start, but called good customer service, and they walked me through a "re-boot" and has worked fine with consistent weights ever since. If moved, must be restarted but that is just a quick press.

To me, the ones that calculate a fat % at home are a waste of money, too many factors impact the impedance calculations, even the professional model at the doctor's office is way out of line for me. Having weight shown in 2/10ths pound enough detail for me
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-06-15, 08:08

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I have exactly the same scale as JEY, also from Amazon. I find it attractive and I've had zero problems with it. One thing I like about it is that I can step on it several times in quick succession and it always reads the same - no ambivalence on its part. In fact, in order to get it to register small losses (<.8 lb) either I have to step on it at night when I'm naturally heavier or someone else has to weigh between my morning weigh-ins. It weighs a pound or two lighter than the scale at my doctor's office, but then I have a pound or two in clothing when I'm at the doc's. That's close enough for me.

I agree that the fat, water %, etc. is probably fictional.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 09:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Amazon Gold Box deal today. This is not the one I have, but it looks good, 400 lb capacity. Reg $59, now $19.99.

Kinzi Precision Digital Bathroom Scale w/ Extra Large Lighted Display, 400 lb. Capacity and "Step-On" Technology.

https://www.amazon.com/Kinzi-Precis...y/dp/B010FG0KD0
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 09:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I like digital, because even if they're wrong, they're precise. Mine is a Weightwatcher's, it claims to be able to guess at my body fat levels. Electrical impedance is just a bit worse than bmi for measuring percentage body fat, from what I've read, which makes it worse than useless.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 10:27

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

I can't recommend my digital scale, although we've learned to get along. I wish it had a lighted read-out, so keep that in mind as a desirable feature.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 10:43
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I have an old analog scale that I've had for at least 30 years... don't care to go "digital"... it weighs me 3 lbs more than what my doctor's scale weighs me... so it's a keeper!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Apr-14-17, 13:59

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I use this one, very accurate and capacity up to 600lbs. I have complete faith in the numbers it spits out. There is no arguing with it.

http://www.valuescale.com/mettler_t...ical_scales.htm