Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-27-17, 11:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 308/285.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
6 lbs overnight due to histamine production and the antihistamines I took. But the weight (and mayday flowers) came off overnight 3 days later in a rainstorm. .

On a completely unrelated to dieting note, that damn rainstorm also took all the blooms off my other trees, too! I'm missing the smell of the Maydays....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 08:26

Stats: 253/242/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YNot
Coming here for a similar complaint. 293.4 for the last few days - and decided to restrict calories quite a bit for a couple days to break through that (which usually works)- and sure enough, after all that I step on and I'm 295.6. It's frustrating, but when you think about it, 3 pounds is such a tiny percentage of my total weight that it is virtually meaningless.

This is my problem. I am 50 year old woman. Been on atkins since May 4 of this year, lost 11 pounds so far and then it stopped. I know that i weight every day, which is bad, but i also don't go crazy if it goes up 1 or 2 pounds knowing it is probably water weight or constipation.

but for 3 weeks now i have steadily been at 242's, today i was 245, trying to get out of this i have quit aspertam drinks, watching my calories which stay around 1000 to 1300. I stay withing 23 carbs a day, lately been more like 18 to 20.

i just don't know where to go from here to break this plateau. I am trying very hard not to get frustrated and get off, start eating my potatoes and bread, but so far have resisted that temptation. Well except last weekend i had one half of a hamburger bun and the real reason i did that as i read if you ate some bread you might break the plateau....guess what it didn't do anything.

Maybe i should go below 1000 calories to maybe 800 to 900. i am a sedentary person, trying to get my exercise in, but i'm not sure that would really help. Any ideas?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 08:47

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
Maybe i should go below 1000 calories to maybe 800 to 900. i am a sedentary person, trying to get my exercise in, but i'm not sure that would really help. Any ideas?
In addition to my post on your other thread, here's a thought.

STOP counting calories. This is a holdover from old thinking about weight management. And how many of us have been there, done that over and over and over?

Make sure you are following the Atkins plan--including lots of leafy vegetables, healthy fats like olive oil and butter, a reasonable amount of meat or other protein to suit your appetite. Some people find that eating "only when hungry" or "only until just full" works. Others of us have difficulty with appetite cues and have to think about portions a little more carefully. But DO NOT count calories. Especially, don't try to reduce calories to some arbitrary number.

You are not actually in a "plateau." A plateau is much longer than a couple of weeks. Might be a couple of years, or more. But taking specific steps like tweaking your calories seldom produces long-term answers.

Remember that the achievement of low-carb eating is to transform your body from a carb-burning machine to a fat-burning machine. Any introduction of carbohydrates like bread, potatoes, and especially sugar completely obliterates that transformation for a many, many days. Don't do it.

FYI, exercise is good for you. But it won't speed up weight loss.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Jun-13-17, 11:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Decreasing to 800-900 will only make your metabolism more sluggish/efficient so that it can survive on 800-900 cals/day (and you will gain when you eat more after your body adapts to 800-900). I actually found that ADDing 300 cals of fat to my vLC diet was what finally increased my metabolism and restored my thyroid levels to normal. It seems counterintuitive, but our bodies are not steel calorimeters and following the old eat-less exercise-more dogma/intuition has made the average American obese.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Jun-13-17 at 11:49.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 08:09

Stats: 253/242/150 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress:

Thank you both for your replys. Your right I about calories. I had not really looked at them since i started but then when i stopped losing, i started to worry. It seems so early, one month, to stop losing. But, although i have been following the diet, on weekends, i may slip and i had Bloody Mary mix, not a lot, but i had been doing these little bit's of stuff, but still losing weight, and i felt great, this is the best diet that i have ever been on! Not starving is so great! But then i have not lost any weight and started to worry, so went and looked at calories.

Did not see any real changes in that area, but thought maybe i just lost my initial weight and now i'm stalled... it has to do with calories since my carbs were withing range..... your right the old mentalitity.

I just have to start thinking that i am not on a diet, just eating better. If i lose, great, but if i don't my body is still better off. even if i lost all of the weight i want, i can never go back to eating all those potatoes, tortillas and hamburger buns that i have done in the past because that is just not good for your body.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Jun-14-17, 08:21
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

Glad to see that you've lost those pesky fluctuating lbs, ImAllLike!

Fluctuating weight is normal for me... I have days where I gain 2-3 lbs and Imma 100% OP. I don't sweat it b/c I know Imma doing everything Imma supposed to do and doing otherwise would spell disaster! Then that demonic contraption we call a scale will play nice again...

Wishing you continued success on your journey!