Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Tue, Jun-24-08, 13:50
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I have a yogourmet yogurt maker (with 7 little glass containers that fit in it, and extras) and a 'yocheese' strainer (a nifty strainer that is a tall cube, with a metal strainer inside and lid, which reduces the yogurt into something more like cream cheese). We used ordinary full-fat pasturized/homogenized milk and it worked fine. It was gelled in the morning, but once we stirred it to add flavor it was somewhat thin. I decided the next time I would use half&half (since the price of cream is *exhorbitant*) but haven't got around to it yet.

My kid adds a little bit of extract (we have tons of bottled extracts) and sweetzfree (liquid sucralose)... she loves it. At this ppint though I think it might be cheaper for me to buy plain yogurt than make it.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 03:12
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baerdric
No, it's kinda there before I even heat the milk. I think it's the milk. I suspect that the cream partially turned to butter in transport or something.

And I was very careful to keep track of temperature this time and I have two thermometers that agree... unless they are both wrong.

I'm going to try next with just regular milk and some cream I found with no additives. I don't like the idea of powdered milk although I'm sure it's fine. Just persnickety.

If you're still using raw and not homogenized milk, that's just butterfat, most likely; butterfat does not ferment so it's just floating around on top.

Your "film" is likely to disappear when you use the "regular" milk and cream. Often, powdered milk is added to yogurt to give the beasties more lactose to digest, gets more acidic and thicker more quickly. The 24H ferment should pretty much do the same, followed by the strain.

I get some nice 3.9% butterfat yogurt up here, and sometimes a nice 6%, natural or organic, depends on the brand, so I've gotten lazy and stopped making my own, just load up when the stuff's on sale. But I used to do it, pretty easy once you get in the rhythm, and I used my kitchen thermometer, the quick one, bring the dairy up to 170-180F, hold there for up to 10m (gets rid of competing bacteria and alters the proteins so they "bind" to each other better and you get a thicker yogurt, there's a lengthy discuss about this in a few forums some years back), then let cool to about 105-110, stir in the "starter", either packaged stuff like the Yogourmet or some reserved yogurt from the last batch, then into warmed jars, on a towel-wrapped heating pad on Low and covered with more towels as "insulation". I then go away and leave it overnight.

It worked every time. In the morning, off the pad, and into the fridge. This is a good set time, and provides the final thickness you will get from the ferment.

I strain it only if I want to make something particularly yummy, like my rosewater vanilla ice cream, which is half strained yogurt, nice and thick, and half whipping cream, with other mysterious additives ...

#63   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 03:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Does it get as thick as yogurt? Or does it stay like a smoothie or kefir?

I wonder if whole pineapples are in season.

This whole thing is interesting. Got to be the enzymes in the pineapple, the rest is flavouring, I think. Then again, there's a lot of natural fruity ferments in asian medicine, some fruits seem to attract particular bacterias or whatever, leading to a medicinal food. Bacteria use enzymes to break down proteins or lactose or ... and in this case, the pineapple enzymes are breaking down or converting the proteins in the coconut milk?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Last edited by IslandGirl : Wed, Jun-25-08 at 03:32.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 08:25
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
I've bought one pineapple this year and I thought it was an excellent tradeoff between carbon emissions and kitchen riches.

Oh yeah. I was just trying to figure out if I'd even be able to find whole pineapple anywhere. I'll have to look because I'm intrigued!

Quote:
This whole thing is interesting. Got to be the enzymes in the pineapple, the rest is flavouring, I think.

I was thinking perhaps there is a bacteria on the skin of the pineapple, thus they use the skin versus the interior parts.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-08, 21:32

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Oh yeah. I was just trying to figure out if I'd even be able to find whole pineapple anywhere. I'll have to look because I'm intrigued!

Our food coop doesn't always have pineapple, but they've had it for several weeks lately. This should be a good time, I'm guessing.

Quote:
I was thinking perhaps there is a bacteria on the skin of the pineapple, thus they use the skin versus the interior parts.

I think that's probably right. Perhaps there's also some fiber that the bacteria likes in the skin. Pineapple does have a ton of very powerful enzymes.

There is bacteria on EVERYTHING. Believing that we can sterilize our living environment is hubris of the highest order.