Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 08:37

Plan:
Stats: 335/228/140
BF:
Progress:
Default type 2 db - new to low carbing

i have been dieting off and on for the last 5 years. i lost about 75 lbs then about a year ago completly stalled.

i was diaged with type 2 db on 19 april 2001 while in emergency room because of pnemonia... bg was "over 400", after shooting me up with insulin, it came down to 287. they starting me on 5m glucotrol and told me to find a physician (which i did).

i immediately started researching and read up on the exchange diet - total calories of around 1500. i was on that for about 2 months and dropped 20 lbs. i then changed to diatician's recommendation of grms per day of 240c/60p/40f for cal count of 1600-1800. could not get my bg's under 140 on either diet, so my dr. put me on 10m of glucotrol and 500 glucophage. i also stalled in weight loss on diatician's diet.

started looking for alternatives and found much info on low carb. started following dr. bernstein's diabetes solution program beginning of july. i dropped another 7lbs (totalling 27lbs).

my bg's have been very good since low carbing and had fairly good a1c and lipid panel results when tested. unfortunately, have nothing to compare them to as none were done when i was first diagnosed...

about 2 weeks ago, i started feeling not so good, lightheaded and unbalanced. my bg's were good so did more reading and found that it was possible i might not have been getting enough carbs... i added in more, but over the last three days, have gained 3 pounds, so probably added too much back...

i plan to begin posting in the journal thread so hope to gain insight and input from there.

look forward to hearing from y'all

dusty 335/230/140 (hope i did this right - high/present/goal)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 09:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Dusty!

Starting your own Journal is a great idea. We have some Type 2 diabetics as well as experienced low-carbers who will be able to guide you in your journey.

Keep posting!

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Wed, Jul-25-01 at 17:40.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 16:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi dusty and welcome! perhaps the lightheadedness you were experiencing was from carb withdrawal! a lot of people suffer dizziness, headaches, nausea and body aches from the initial carb reduction. it goes away after a few days to a week. i'm glad your finding your own way to good health!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 17:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145?/131/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:
Default Journal

Looking forward to reading your journal, although I don't have one....I throughly enjoying reading everyone's journals. I try to read the journals daily and find I get great eating ideas from them.