Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 19:57

Plan: BFL
Stats: 150/140/125
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Thanks to you all

I'm another newbie who has been lurking around this site for some time, gleaning much needed encouragement and a few laughs when I really needed them.

I'm hoping you experienced lowcarbers can answer a simple question for me...how do you handle the questions from others who seem intent on shooting you down in your newly chosen WOL? I work in an environment where EVERYBODY seems to be filling their faces constantly with high carb snacky things...I get the "hurt look" and the questions if I don't indulge ("oh, but it's homemade! ARe you sure you don't want some?" or "What is this? A new kick you're on? That can't possibly by healthy") Any interesting comebacks?
I've never felt better since starting on the PP plan...more energy than I ever thought possible! I don't intend to give up but I'm getting tired of evading these downer people!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 21:08

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: //125
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up

Hi there, like you I am also new to this site. People usually mean well when they are insisting that you try there high carb food. We were recently at a birthday party and five times I was asked if I wanted a piece of cake! Finally I said that I had already had one and thanks it was delicious. Found it a lot easier that explaining my diet.
I too would be interested in some comebacks as I am tired of hearing how bad this diet is for me. It has only been 15 days but I feel great!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 22:00
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

Fran and Dye,

Welcome aboard! I've dealt with this issue so many times. I'd either be defensive (a few years ago), or be on the offence (for the last year or so). I've come to the conclusion that this is my life, a way of life, even when I reach my goal (I'm more than half way there).

My best "comeback" is documented research and studies from medical journals and similar research. There's an abundance of research supporting the low-carb lifestyle, and I'm always too glad to boast about it, and demand of any detractor to site one single piece of study that would prove otherwise. And there's never been any, to my knowledge.

Browse through our "Studies" section, from the menu above, and there's enough reading material to make you feel confident about your diet/lifestyle.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-23-01, 22:41
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Welcome to the forum Fran and Dye!

Just fib and say that you have been diagnosed as pre-diabetic and to keep your insulin in control, you can have no sugar, white flour etc. If they persist, then you can yell, DO YOU WANT TO SEE ME IN A COMA! It’s easier to keep it simple than to go into lengthy explanations because most people don’t listen anyway. When you are well into this way of eating, you will be more comfortable talking about it because you will understand more about how it works. By then, everyone will want to know the secret of your success!

You could also say that you are not happy with the way you’ve been eating and want to practice a healthier lifestyle. Believe me, guilty looks will abound as you sit with a big salad and a chicken leg while others are gorging on muffins, lattes and French fries. It can be quite amusing!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 14:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245/245/145
BF:
Progress: 0%

Karen,

I just read your reply about what to say to people when they criticize the low carb woe and I laughed out loud so loud that people here at work were wondering if I received a funny joke in my email.

I like your style.

Sylvie p
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 17:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

fran and dye, i just wanted to welcome you both! i've been lowcarbing for a long time and i will the rest of my life. i just tell people that i'll agree to disagree with them and let's drop it. come here for support! you know that you've made the best choice!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 18:17
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by sylvie p
Karen,

I just read your reply about what to say to people when they criticize the low carb woe and I laughed out loud so loud that people here at work were wondering if I received a funny joke in my email.

I like your style.

Sylvie p

Thanks Sylvie!

I don't know if it is the business I am in but the people I work with seem to have open minds. I lent one of the cooks Protein Power quite a while back and he has reached his goal weight. A server has lost 20 and is conquering his sugar addiction and 3 others are "high bottom" low-carbers. It's quite cool.

Karen