Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 03:46

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 202/198.4/143
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default 36 hours until induction

Hi,

I thought I would introduce myself as I am ecstatic that i've found a forum for Australians doing low carb diets.

My name is Kirria and i've just recently had a baby so i'm extremely eager to lose all the extra weight that I gained while I was pregnant. I was also getting quite a bit tubby before I fell pregnant so all in all I have about 30 kgs to lose.

I've pretty much read the Atkins book, however with a new baby not all of the info has been sinking in. So I was wondering if you wonderful people could answer some questions for me - cause i'm pretty sure whenever i pick up the atkins book to search for the answers my darling little miss Hannah is going to sense it and wake up lol!

Question 1: Is caffeine allowed during induction or at all? And if so in what forms?

Question 2: During Induction are you allowed to eat any of those low carb cereals, or do you have to stick to eggs?

Question 3: Can someone explain in a nice simple way the whole peeing on a stick - I think I understand that it shows you that your body is burning fat? Is there a certain time of day that you should do this? Does the stick change colour?

Question 4: When doing Atkins your only allowed 20g's of carbs a day - is this right?

Please forgive my temporary loss of mind due to my new baby. And thank you for helping!!! Now i'm off to have my last carb binge lol!

Kirria
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 17:50

Stats: 182.6/162/133 Female 61 inches
BF:What fat??
Progress: 42%

Hi Kirria. Congrats on Hannah's arrival. Bet you are run off your feet at the moment. I'll attempt to answer some of your questions (bearing in mind everyone has different ideas).

Q1. Atkins prefer you stay off the caffeine during Induction. I never did but limited myself to 2 cups Nescafe/day.

Q2. Would be best to stay right away from low carb cereals. You don't just have to stick to eggs. There is so much else you could try. ie steak, bacon, chicken, etc. Have a look at the breakfast ideas on this site. One of my personal favourites is Atkins Crustless Quiche.

Q3. The ketostick thing is a hot topic. I personally only use it once a day to check if I'm still in ketosis. If you are following the diet right down the line tho, you don't need them.

Q.4 Atkins keeps you to 20g carbs/day during Induction. After that you can gradually add items to your food.

The best piece of advice I can offer you is to open a FitDay journal. You can keep track of everything you're eating and see the calorie/fat/protein you have consumed. It makes life a whole lot simpler. Go to www.fitday.com and follow the bouncing balls.

Have fun. Don't be afraid to post questions if you are not sure about something. There are some terrific people here (even if they are "Blues" supporters) who will gladly try to help.
Cheers
Pam
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 17:53
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Kirria, welcome!

First of all, are you breast feeding? because if you are, you'll have to wait until bubby Hannah has been weaned to lose weight with Atkins. Dr A states very clearly that the weight loss phases of Atkins should not be undertaken when pregnant or breastfeeding. You can do the maintenance phase though.

Okay, in case you are not breast feeding, here are your answers:

1. Technically, caffeine is not allowed. But I have to say that many people on this board are still losing weight successfully while drinking coffee.

2. No cereals during Induction - reread the lists of allowed foods.
But you don't have to stick to eggs either. I have chicken wings, lamb cutlets, leftovers, anything. Check out our "Breakfast Ideas" forum for more ideas.

3. My advice is to not bother about the whole peeing on the stick thing. The ketostox are notoriously inaccurate for a start. I've seen way too many people here (I mean the whole board, not just the Aussies) get all worried because the stix are the wrong colour, while they are losing weight wonderfully.

4. The 20g carbs is only for Induction. After that, you gradually increase by 5g every week - that's 25g daily, then 30g etc.

Kirria, I know you are busy with your darling Hannah, but please, reread the Induction section of the book before you try to start.

All the very best to you!

Rosebud
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-29-03, 23:21

Stats: 202/198.4/143
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default Thank you!

Thank you very much for answering my questions. Well my partner and I started Induction today and I have to say he looked pretty strangely at our breakfast of soft boiled eggs with ham as the fake toast but alas I think he'll get used to it.

I've started a fitday journal as per your suggestion and after cruising around the site, i've realised it's exactly what I needed to help me monitor this diet so I thank fitday!

I've also checked out my local health food store and i've found out that I can get atkins stuff there so after induction i'm going to cruise down and buy up on low carb goodies! I also bought off eBay a 1000 low carb receipe book on cd, for making low carb bars, shakes and other goodies so hopefully that will help me eat right as well as saving dollars.

I'm just so happy to find other people out there doing low carb diets - it really does help knowing that you have support!

Kirria