Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 16:45

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/202/145
BF:
Progress: 46%
Thumbs up NEW Atkins Morning Start Bars... These are AWESOME!

I just came back from my almost local health food store. They are an Atkins distributor. I found this NEW Atkins product that I just have to rave about! It is the new "MORNING START" series and it comes in Apple Crisp, Creamy Cinnamon, Blueberry Muffin and Chocolate Chip Crisp.

I bought the Blueberry and the Chocolate chip. Now I should wait until I try both to give a review, but the Chocolate Chip Crisp was so incredibly good I had to share.

Have you ever had the Quaker chewy granola bars? If you liked those YOU WILL LOVE THESE ! The bottom is chocolate coated and the bar is all of these little crispy things with a few chocolate chips thrown in and it is all stuck together! They are crispy and just a little chewy. Taste like you are having a cheat. Now here is the really good news: Only 2 NET carbs per serving.

OK... Now to the nitty gritty. I went to the Atkins site and I don't see them! I would have just put a link to the nutrional info because I know we all want to know what sweetners and how the carbs are counted. So, I won't be truely good and put down all the info... just not that good of a typist, but I will give you some of the crucial information.

Calories per bar 160, 60 calories from fat. Total Carb 14 grams- 5 grams is dietary fiber, 5 grams is glycerin and 2 grams are sugar alcohol.

From reading the label it seems that the sugar alcohol (which is lacitol) is in the chips. The crispy part appears to be sweetened with Splenda.

Aktins has done really good with this product in my oppinion. When I try the Blueberry, I will add to this thread. It is going to be so hard to have only one of these a day!

Last edited by theresa113 : Sat, Apr-26-03 at 20:34.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 20:58

BF:

OK... I couldn't wait to try the Blueberry Muffin Morning Start Bar.

I was so pleased with the Chocolate Chip Crisp that I thought no way could the Blueberry be as good. Boy, was I wrong! These are just as good if not better!

The bottom is a creamy white coating and the top is a muffin style bar with burst of blueberries. The texture is nothing like the Advantage bars. This acutally taste and has a close texture to a real creamy BLUEBERRY MUFFIN! This is no joke! I can't believe how good these are!

Now check this out... There are NO sugar Alcohols in this bar! Its too goo to be true!

What about the nutrtion label... here is the low down.

160 calories which 60 of them are from fat. Total carb is 16 grams, 7 from glycerine and 7 from fiber. The net carbs is 2 grams. Oh, and there is 12 grams of protein!

These are perfect bars to throw in your purse on a busy day!

I am so happy about these I am jumping up and down!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 21:04

BF:
Default Have you seen the NEW Atkins Morning Start Bars?

I did a review of 2 of the flavors in the low carb product section of this forum. If you want to check it out, go here:
New Atkins Morning Start Bars

As you can see, I really like them. Has anyone else seen or tried them? If so, what flavors? I wonder how the Apple Crisp and the Cinnamon Bun are? The Chocolate Chip Crisp and the Blueberry Muffin are awesome! Good news... the Blueberry Muffin HAS NO SUGAR ALCOHOLS!

I got them at a health food store that specializes in Low Carb.... I can't wait to find them at the grocery store! I could not find them on the Atkins web site! I thought that was strange.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 21:10
Registered Member

Stats: 257.5/237.0/215 Male 6 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 48%
Thumbs up Apple Crisp Breakfast Bars

The apple crisp is very good. It has a nice crunch to it and the coating is similar to a yogurt. The taste is very good and one bar is quite filling and I am a big guy so that was surprising to me. I look forward to enjoying some flavors when I can't get my bacon, sausage and eggs!!!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 21:12

BF:

dxhman... Where did you find yours at? Was it a health food store, online or at a grocery store?
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Apr-26-03, 21:44

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%

I've seen these at Vitamin Shoppe. Looking at the label, it looks like even the ones that have sugar alcohols have them in small amounts. 1g for Apple Crisp, 2g for Chocolate Chip Crisp, 0g for Cinnamon Bun.

Looks like other offered flavors are Strawberry Crisp and Double Chocolate Muffin.

Nice to know these are good... perhaps I'll try them.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:05
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 169/156/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

thanks theresa I ve got to go find those!!! I work all day and those would be perfect! how much were they? see you
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:09

BF:

The health food store I went to seemed pricey on quite a few items so I am not sure if this price will be standard. They were $6.99 a box. A friend of mine and I bought 2 boxes and split them. There are 5 in a box.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 08:53
Registered Member

Stats: 148/?/130
BF:
Progress: 11%

i tried the Chocolate Chip ones at my health food store.. Natures Harvest in Melbourne Fl and indeed they are delish!
Gonna wait till I'm off Induction before I eat them tho.
I will not eat them regularly as I don't want to slip into the "convienient foods trap". Great for when you are in jam for a meal or snack.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 09:03

Stats: 149/120/122 Female 5 feet 2 inch
BF:
Progress: 107%

Good morning Theresa,

At what health food store did you find the blueberry muffins? I am really looking forward to one as a treat.

Magic (up here in Longwood)
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 11:48

BF:

Magic,

I found them at Tom's Natural Health food store in Lake Mary. It is in the Publix shopping center right next to Target on Lake mary Blvd. They have 2 isles of low carb items, a freezer full of low carb breads, bagels and icecream and they sell a soft serve low carb ice cream. Best stock of everything in place that I have seen so far.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 13:38
Registered Member

Plan: CAD/CALP
Stats: 172.6/169.6/140 Female 63 inches
BF:41.5%/41.5%/25%
Progress: 9%
Thumbs up The Morning Start Bars are great

I really like the flavor of the Apple Crisp bars. I got a box at my local GNC store.

MUCH tastier than the Atkins Advantage bars.

Nelle
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Apr-27-03, 18:03
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Thumbs up Apple Crisp

Its funny I didn't like the texture of the blueberry but the apple Crisp was great. Gave me a breakfast cereal kind feel. It actually has pieces of apples in it
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 18:42
Registered Member

Stats: 257.5/237.0/215 Male 6 ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 48%
Default Apple Crisp Breakfast Bars

I got my Apple Crisp at GNC however, I ordered a box of the Cinnamon online from Netrition.com. Their price is MUCH better than my local GNC store....
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-28-03, 19:23

Plan: Atkins (Pre-Maintenance)
Stats: 160/135/130 Female 5'5"
BF:35%/28%/22%
Progress: 83%
Thumbs up

Okay, thanks for giving the great review. I second! I bought two boxes today: Apple Crisp and Blueberry Muffin. Had to have one of each of course.

They are both quite good. Apple is like a cereal and Blueberry is much like cookie dough. I think most people would like these.