Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 19:24

Plan: Custom
Stats: 225/205/150 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Successful low carber now failing. But why?

4 years ago while at 5'5" 225 lbs I started the low carb lifestyle. For 3 years I had it honed in to fine science and it worked like a champ and I was down to 158 lbs. then at the end of 2015 and going into 2016 I was promoted at work and was at an all time high in my confidence and happiness. The new job however came with a ton more stress and pressure that I still carry around like a giant SUV strapped to my back. As 2016 progressed i did ok but found that the diet was become less effective. By the middle of summer I had stopped it all together and took a "Break" because it wasn't working anymore. Of course I ruined my 3years of success and gained all the way back to 215 lbs by the end of 2016. 2 months ago I recollected myself and started back to what I had done to begin with 4 years back. After 2 weeks I had lost 10lbs and thought I was back on track and fully settled into what I had done for the first 3 years. However I haven't lost an ounce since and in fact have gained 2 lbs back. I am eating the same foods, same amounts of water, same activities as I had done when i was most successful but it just won't work. It's as if my body has figured it out and the jokes on me. My wife hates my diet and wants me on a low calorie diet that I fail at every time. I am lost. I am still on the low carb diet and have not "cheated" even 1 time since day 1 of my latest try. What the heck has happened to me?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-05-17, 19:44

Plan: CALP with Primal Leanings
Stats: 368/291.2/160 Female 5' 4
BF:toodmnmch
Progress: 37%

While I do a different diet than you, I know folks here will be better able to comment if you post what you actually are eating for a few days. They may see an issue you are missing.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 02:51

Plan: Atkinds
Stats: 230/218/195 Male 170 centimeters
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciakr
While I do a different diet than you, I know folks here will be better able to comment if you post what you actually are eating for a few days. They may see an issue you are missing.

Yes, the OP should specifically write down all meals, portion-sizes and drinks.

Also, the specific activity being done, how often and for how long.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 03:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome PDG,
Your question is common, in fact, some believe there is only "one golden shot" at being successful at LC. Dr Eades has written a good series of posts explaining why that is not true, and also why it may be harder the "Second Time Around"

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/201...w-carb-dieters/

First, beside just being older, is that we tend to remember what we ate later in the diet plan. Are you really following the Atkins induction phase as long as you did before? Or have you already added nuts, more cheese, or alcohol? Or have your reward meals on SB become more generous as they would have in later SB phases, not the first phase? First suggestion is to re-read ONE plan and stick to all Induction rules so you get the benefits of the Induction phase. ("Custom" to me is a red flag that you are adding foods, eating at higher carbs levels, or in more quantity than you think you did in the past)
Do you now have a healthy way to manage your stress? Alcohol will stop weight loss, suggest none until you reach goal weight. Can you have Breaks in your work day? Walking rather than lunch? etc.
It certainly doesn't help that your wife is not happy with LC, do you make separate meals? This will be a another stress unless you get her on board, or at least not actively discourage it. Although this other thread about support from wife http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=443909 reminded me that even Gary Taubes doesn't have his wife's support..she's a vegetarian.

Dr Eades as other good reasons to consider why the Second Time Around is harder (not impossible) in his posts linked above and the comments by readers are extensive. See if any apply to you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Mar-06-17 at 03:58.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 06:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

STRESS alone will stall you.

Under stress, our bodies produce a lot of cortisol, which has the same fat storing abilities as insulin. How's your sleep?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 06:42

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Janet, thanks for that link! Your insights and links are invaluable to me. Thank you very much.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 08:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey there. I hear you and understand how you feel. I am on my third restart and the beginning was slower however I am now 22.5 lbs down in 7 weeks.
Let me tell you what was important and what I learned.
First I don't go back to what I did in past. I start at the beginning like I never did it before. I read the plan over and make a plan and shop and make sure I know what I am eating at each meal.
I write every food down. This does not last forever but in the beginning I found it is essential to make sure I am starting from the beginning.
I also find I have to move up the ladder to continue to lose, If not I just don't lose as well.
The last thing, is to remember that since the last time, You are older, have changed your metabolism and it may just take more time for your body to work it out but it will.

Patience is key.
Make sure you are eating enough, Don't skimp on your calories and make sure you are satisfied and not skipping meals.
The more satisfied you are the easier to stay the course even when the scale is a pain in the arse.
You can do it!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 10:26

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

A better way of thinking about it is that you have lost 8 lbs in two months (18 since your high of 225) and that is mostly fat. At first you lost a lot of water and your body probably found it too dehydrating and retained more water water to equilibrate while you continued to lose fat.

Finding ways to reduce stress and get good sleep will help too. I went to a stress reduction seminar that had a few good tips. As we walked in we were given a handout and some adhesive coloured dots. Then we were told to think of three nature-related times in our lives when we felt calm and fantastic. Mine were cresting a heather-covered hill in Scotland, walking down the old cool stone steps from Monticello to the parking lot through the forest in full fall colours, then on to the warm summer beach in the Outer Banks of North Carolina; I actually feel cool, then warm as I walk from the hilltop to the water's edge. You sit or lie down, close your eyes and consciously relax your body one part at a time, starting with your toes and up to your scalp and back down as you visualize your three calming memories. I still do this when stressed 8 yrs later and it only takes a couple of minutes and can be done at your desk. Then we discussed ways to feel more in control at work. An excellent suggestion, if you have bosses and other people barging into your workspace all the time, is to say - I just need to make a call or send an email and then I will come to YOUR office. That gives you time to relax, gather your thoughts and be the one in charge when you go to their office; standing while they sit adds to your feeling of control. Finally we were told what the coloured dots were for. When nobody is looking, you put them above the doors of offices of people who stress you out. When you see your dot you smile and feel empowered, not vulnerable or stressed-out. As I walked back to my office, I walked past a lot of administrative offices that already had other peoples' dots on their door frames. I added a few of my own.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Mar-06-17 at 10:54.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Mar-06-17, 10:33

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi PDG76 -- welcome!
The ideas and links already posted here are awesome!

I just wanted to add my voice to Baylor's.
I re-started Atkins this year, after several different periods of eating strictly low carb in the last 10 years. I'm 52 now, and female, and this phase of life seriously changed my metabolism in the last two years.

BUT - this January, I re-read the book, I read the thread of the Atkins '72 hard core lifers where Just Jo has posted the original induction lists, and I committed to 6 weeks no alcohol, 1 month induction ... I have lost 15 lbs since Jan 9. I'm eating more carbs now-- in the form of veggies (more veggies and a wider variety) but still losing at about 1-2 lbs a week. Keeping it to about 30g/day. Alcohol... I'm still not sure where I will settle but so far only a weekend evening or special occasion (watching to see if it triggers cravings)

My memory of low carb eating wasn't truly induction. Going back to basics worked. I actually didn't believe it would, but couldn't bear to keep gaining throughout the hormonal transition that is menopause.

Don't give up! Do a little research into the exact plan you want to follow and follow it to the letter for a few weeks. Think of it as an experiment to see how your body responds. Stay satiated and be patient.... Come here and read about others' journeys, check out their menus, record your own.

Good luck!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-17, 21:20

Plan: Custom
Stats: 225/205/150 Male 65 inches
BF:
Progress:

Thank you for all of the good comments. When I say custom here is what I mean. I do not eat more than 10 carbs per day. I do a 5 day induction of as close to 0 carbs as possible. I do not drink alcohol at all, no tobacco, basically no stress relief vices. Basically eggs for breakfast everyday, chicken, pork, or beef for lunch and the same for dinner plus a non-starch veggie like colidlower or broccoli. Sometimes salad lettuce only with mayo for dressing. A 12oz can of diet soda maybe during the day. Although I don't go to the gym or anything like that I am very active in my free time, while probably not aerobic in nature. Spend a lot of time with my daughter and her sports. All of this is the same that I had done for 3 years when I lost and kept it off. And since I first posted I have actually lost another 3 lbs so maybe I'm worried for nothing...lol
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Mar-13-17, 05:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

I wish I had lost 10 lbs in a week and now you've lost 3 more...lucky. I have been doing this faithfully since last May and lost 30-32 lbs. I am in a big plateau right now, but sticking with it. I have 18 lbs to go on a good day. I know I am doing it right so I am not giving up or switching to another plan. I do plan to get outside now more that it's above zero and safer for walking and expect that serotonin to make a difference! I have learned to be grateful for the weight I have lost and to wait it out because ultimately I will get there. But I feel for you gaining all that back, since I often feel so stuck at my numbers (and I am). But see, it's already getting better! Half your luck! Stick with it!