Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 15:27

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I used to think I couldn't live without dairy, but I can. When I was a vegetarian, most of my protein came from dairy and I became fat, sick and needed daily Claritin and Sudafed to breathe and deal with sinus pain, and daily Advil or Aleve for joint pain. When I started getting blurry vision every afternoon and sometimes heart palpitations (probably from the Sudafed) I decided I needed to get off them all.

After 2-3 months of NeanderPam and NancyLC (before her detour to the Cheese of the Month Club and back) encouraging me to go cold turkey for 30 days, I finally did and pampered myself by buying excellent coffee beans to make my morning cuppa. My favourite is a mix of half french roast, half breakfast blend, Starbucks or better quality.

One way to go dairy-free and wean yourself off cream in coffee is to have one cup of superb coffee and add 1-2 tsp of MCT oil, which has no taste (or a mix of MCT + HWC or butter to start), but gives the mouthfeel of coffee with cream, then decrease the MCT oil until you're down to black coffee. Now I'd rather drink water than bad coffee, but have one mug of homemade coffee every morning.

Last edited by deirdra : Tue, Mar-07-17 at 15:47.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 15:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I drink my coffee black but I too get high quality coffee and grind the beans fresh for each cup. I've come to really enjoy it after a lifetime of coffee with cream and sugar.

Jean
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-07-17, 15:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I drink Starbucks pike and that with cream and sweetnlow is like dessert to me..
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-17, 09:49

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I thought I would update this... I was able to resume my normal low carb diet on Monday. Today is Wednesday -- and after 17 days of losing steadily at a higher than normal rate because of no dairy (and also no foods in boxes, bottles, cans, etc.), I was IMMEDIATELY 3 1/2 pounds up, even though I did not overeat or overcarb or eat packaged foods.... All I did was add back some cream and cheese! I am sure it is puffy water weight (I would have had to overeat by like 10,000 calories to "gain" that much weight for real!) -- but this shows how sensitive my body is to even small changes.

However, I will live with that little bit of water weight and proceed to continue losing fat from here at the same steady and slow pace as before. I like cream in my coffee and occasional cheese too much! What I was doing before was working for just about a year, so I will just go back to the slow lane. I don't have far to go.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-17, 13:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 205.5/171.0/155 Female 5 5
BF:
Progress: 68%

Even if I knew it would pull me up out of my monthlong stall, I couldn't give up my coffee cream. It's one of my few true pleasures. Cheese, yes, for a while I could give it up. But I didn't lose weight to be miserable.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-15-17, 15:14
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
NancyLC (before her detour to the Cheese of the Month Club and back)

LOL! I don't remember that at all. Well, I'm back to eating very little dairy again. I'm telling you that stuff makes me feel horrible! Maybe only slightly less awful than gluten.

One thing I've learned to notice is that almost any food I'm intolerant of causes post-nasal drip for me. Corn does too! I eat something like that and suddenly I'm coughing, blowing my nose, using my cortisone nasal spray for congestion, and hacking up wads of phlegm. YUCK!

My mom, a lifelong non-smoker, had tons of issues with post-nasal drip, which became chronic bronchitis and COPD late in life. I wonder if that would be my fate if I continued down that road?
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Mar-16-17, 06:09

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Cheese, yes, for a while I could give it up. But I didn't lose weight to be miserable.

I think this is where I'm coming out on the whole dairy thing. Perhaps I could give it up to get through a stall, but I just don't see it as a way of life. Of course, 2 years ago I couldn't have imagined this lack of bread in my life so who knows?
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Mar-26-17, 14:48

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I have very very little dairy because I do get a reaction (bloat, congestion, stomach issues) if I eat more than a bit of it. I used to make my own Greek yogurt, which I adored, but that was too much. Now I limit myself to a small cappuccino daily which contains about 2T whipped half and half or cream, and an occasional bit of cheese, but nothing beyond that. Over the years, after I gave up gluten I thought it was probably harder to give up dairy than it was for gluten, but now that I've edged off of it to this extent, I don't really miss it. It's kind of funny, because for the first 50 years of my life I thought I couldn't eat dairy...as a kind I never liked milk, ice cream, cheese, the usual stuff because I had terrible digestive issues from it. Still true, I guess, but I found out late that gluten was also a problem.

However, I have to say that the food limited Atkins low carb/high fat diet I follow now is perfect for me....never an issue and I feel great.
  #39   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 16:17

Plan: atkins
Stats: 363/307/240 Male 6
BF:
Progress: 46%

Dairy stalls me. I stay away from it.
  #40   ^
Old Tue, Mar-28-17, 16:36

Plan: Atkins '72 version'
Stats: 264/232.2/150 Female 5.6
BF:
Progress: 28%

Giving up dairy as in HWC,cheese,cream cheese and butter(isn't this a dairy or at least contain the cream)? I find it very difficult to drink black coffee....I gave up HWC for a couple of days on and off and used BPC instead. Dishes that are loaded with cream cheese make me gain. So what are the benefits in losing dairy completely?