Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 19:46
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hi there!
I had a good day, too. Got a little hungry this afternoon but I solved that with cheese. I think I should have made my protein shake as I don't really feel hungry for it, now. Well, live and learn.

Actually I am going back 'home' for Thanksgiving. My family (except my sister) and my inlaws all live in the Des Moines area where my husband and I grew up. I generally stay with his mom and her husband. My husband doesn't usually come back for these things - his work schedule is weird. So we'll have turkey with my mom on Thursday, a brunch with my dad and his wife on Friday and then my sister and sister in law and I are throwing a baby shower for another sister in law Saturday morning. If this sounds hectic - it is! I plan to bring goodies for each get together, then things for the shower. If I'm lucky I'll remember my luggage and my 2 children.

Your family certainly sounds interesting! That's great that you all get along. My folks divorced after 30 years of marriage, probably should have happened 29 years prior. I've never been close to my dad but I make the obligatory visits because I figure our relationship has nothing to do with his being a grandpa. My kids don't need to be distant from him just because I am. He and my mother have both remarried and their spouses are great.

Great minds think alike - I'm baking cookies, too. Found a sugar cookie recipe that makes a HUGE amount. I am making some tonight and then I will thaw the rest and take those on the trip. I just heard my taste testers coming up the stairs.

We should exchange emails sometime!
-Tricia
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

Tricia-
The cookie monster forced me to eat two cookiesl! Well, on the bright side, at least it wasn't three!!

Your trip sound like it will be so much fun! Being with the family will make some wonderful memories. Once a loved one is gone that's all you have! Make some good ones!

I want it to be cold here. I've worn jeans one day this fall. We just had to have our airconditioner replaced this week (units inside/outside the house) and I've only been able to open up the house one day so far this fall! It doesn't feel like Thanksgiving when it's 85 degrees outside!

Tomorrow I'm going to take (force) my son and daughter to go shopping to buy a pair of pants. I haven't bought a pair for school yet! Nothing like a cold front coming in and my kids have to wear their shorts to school. I bought my first coat just a few years ago. You go into the malls and it's all sweaters and wool. Who's buying this stuff?

Lisa
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Nov-11-02, 10:26
empress of fashion

BF:

"You go into the malls and it's all sweaters and wool. Who's buying this stuff?"

I am! It's cold up here!

Hey, sent you an email - did you get it?
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Nov-17-02, 23:59

Stats: 149/150/120
BF:
Progress: -3%
Default Hello - new to this thread

Hi!

I've been reading all of your posts about TKD and it sounds like just what I have been looking for. I have been doing Atkins/Protein Power Phase 1 with very few carbs for a couple of weeks. Ever since I began, my workouts have been weaker and weaker. To the point where I could barely make it through a 20 minute run this morning. I feel depleted and I think that just may be my problem.

I decided to have some carbs tonight because I felt so weak but it turned into a carb binge - started with an apple, which turned in to a bunch of nacho chips, and then 4 reese's peanut butter cups (I NEVER eat that stuff!). My, I am going to be SO sorry tomorrow.

Anyway, I think that given the exercising I want to be doing, TKD sounds like it may be for me. And in hindsight, had I been fueling up with 25g carbs before my workouts I don't think I would have felt quite so depleted (and prone to overdoing the carbs like I did).

I have a few questions for you guys:

1. I have about 20 pounds to drop. I haven't heard much mention about weight loss. Is this plan really for maintaining or losing?
2. After two+ weeks on Atkins Induction and very few carbs, I never made it into ketosis. Do I have to get into ketosis for TKD to be effective?
3. I need to get the book, what is the title? The Ketogenic Diet by Lyle McDonald?
4. I mainly focus on running and haven't gotten to the weights in a while (no energy!). Are the weights imperative or can a high intensity cardio workout suffice for intense enough to burn the 25g CU?

I will keep reading posts about this until I get the book. Thanks so much for your input!! Must go get my seven-year-old back in bed now...
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 06:54
Registered Member

CJ -

First I want to say that you have to follow the CKD parameters for your body stats or this diet won't work as intended.

I have been finally able to start to lose weight again after months of stalling on Atkins. You say you were on induction but had very few carbs. Induction IS 20 carbs a day. You aren't doing yourself any favors by going below it. Actually you're slowing down the process. I think Atkins is good but you can stop weight loss by having too much cream or other things low carbs but high calories. You have to know exactly what you're eating carbs/fats/protein. Once I kept my calories in check I started to lose again. I use 2 protein shakes a day plus meat or fish to get the bulk of my protein in. Use fitday.com to keep track of your daily eating.

I think you could wait to see if you need the book as the TKD section is very short and the basics are in this bb. Start by eating the REQUIRED percentages your CKD parameter for several days and get into ketosis. If you're not in ketosis you won't need a CU. Once you're in ketosis you can add your CU. I don't know what type of runs you do but you could start with 10 carbs and see how how much energy you have and how long it takes you to get back into ketosis. You can adjust your carbs accordingly.

If energy and weightloss are your issues this diet can work very well for you. Also having very controlled dietary requirements isn't for everyone. I personally do very well with imputing my food in the morning and adjusting to get the ratios right. I just check off my food as I eat it.

Lisa
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi Lisa!
uh jsut a question: do u use only "clean fat" on ur diet?i mean mostly olive oils,flaxseeds oils,mayo???
so meaning theres no pork rinds and porky stuffs around??
o well, not that im ocmplainin but it does make sense anyway...just wanna ask which are and arent allowed
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 08:28

BF:
Default Thanks Lisa!

Thank you for your post - I have read a bunch of your posts and they are so helpful.

Truth be told, I think I was getting 20 carbs a day on Atkins but in induction, they were all from very low carb salad vegetables. I'm not sure if the energy depletion was due to only having low GI carbs or just from overall too few calories, combined with high intensity cardio - possibly all were factors.

You mentioned having controlled dietary restrictions - that's very good for me! In fact, I prefer a little structure and felt a little overwhelmed with Atkins-style "eat liberally of the following foods..."

I went to the CKD parameter calculator last night but didn't write mine down. I will go back and do it again today. There were a number of sections breaking down calories - I assume I should be following ther 12x body weight section?

Planning on doing a good workout this morning after my CKD-style carb binge last night. Though if I understand correctly, a typical CKD carb up is low fat and I was definitely not low-fat with all of those reese's peanut butter cups!

Live and learn...
  #53   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:11
Registered Member

Hi CJ- I'd start with the 12X which is what I am also using. You can always adjust upward.

Nicole- I take flax seed oil. The only oil I ever use is olive (extra lite), even for baking. I get my fat from brie, ranch dressing and some mayo. I guess it wouldn't be clean fat! I don't eat porkrinds unless I'm desperate for something crunchy and usually I'm not that desperate. I do use them in recipes that would call for crackers or bread crumbs. I don't think it's a problem eating them, just count them in your protein/fat/carb totals.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! We girls have to stick together!

Lisa
  #54   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:17

BF:
Default Possibly a silly question

Are the carbs in CKD/TKD considered to be total carbs minus the fiber like most plans? I didn't want to just assume!
  #55   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 11:31
Registered Member

I haven't found anything in the book that addresses that but I deduct the fiber.

This diet to me is Atkins with a bit more control, which sounds like a good thing for us. Also I haven't found the TKD diet to stress veggies as does Atkins. I just try to have a salad and veggie with dinner.

Lisa
  #56   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:08

BF:
Default Something else

Any advice on this? I was eating less than 20 carbs for a few weeks and had a serious carb splurge last night (carb and fat!). I figure I should treat it a little like a CKD carb-up and workout hard the first few days of this week and get back into ketosis. Should I wait until I am in ketosis to do the TKD pre-workout carb-up or just when I start to feel my energy depleting again? I guess my real question is, with TKD do you ever carb-up before a workout when the sticks are not showing you are in ketosis? I wonder about this from hearing so many times that you can be in ketosis but not registering on the stix due to lots of factors (hydration, not too much to lose, etc.).

And yes, us girls do need to stick together!!
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:30
Registered Member

I'd wait until you're in ketosis to start. I always register on the sticks and with a nasty breath. The price for a great body I told my husband! Wait and see if you register on the sticks. I use Bayer Ketostrips. I don't do a CU if I'm not in ketosis.

If you are exercising and following the diet you should be in ketosis in about 3 days.

Lisa
  #58   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:42

BF:
Default veggies

Hi yet again Lisa! And anyone else browsing...

I noticed that a lot of the men eat just protein and fat during the week when doing CKD, with very little mention about veggies. I worry about um...intestinal regularity...and try to eat lots of low carb veggies for my 20 carb allotment. Do you think this might be what has kept me from ketosis during induction? I did eat more than the 3 cups of salad that Atkins recommends, but always stayed below 20 carbs. It's just lettuce but can it keep me from ketosis, I wonder, below 20carbs or not. You mentioned that you like that TKD doesn't focus as much on veggies - do you typically have just the one salad and serving of veggies each day?

Also, any recommendations about Thanksgiving? I'd like to enjoy the day without stressing. What do people plan on doing for that day?
  #59   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 12:56
Registered Member

I'd just give the diet a week following it exactly. Just keep your calories/protein/fat/carbs correct for your parameters. I think you'll do just fine. You might of been out of ketosis for other reasons and not the lettuce. I confess that I only have 1 salad and veggies for dinner. Tomorrow I'm going out for lunch so I'll have a salad.

I'm having a controlled free day for Thanksgiving. Others might be able to help you better on that one.

Lisa
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Nov-18-02, 13:27
empress of fashion

BF:

I think it is best to simply HAVE a plan and stick to it. If you wonder into a feast and just tell yourself you're not going to go hog wild - how will you know that you're successful? When you've stopped at one piece of pie and not the whole thing?

As for me, my family generally serves up the same fare every year. I'm thinking I will have turkey, green bean casserole, rolls and whatever else low carb I can find (deviled eggs!). No tatos of any kind. No sweets. That's right, no sweets. If I reach my goal I will have a little something at Christmas.

Come up with guidelines that will suit your family's menu. Then follow through with a smile! (even a forced one will do!

And I've never heard of veggies interfering with ketosis. There are natural ways to stay 'regular', too. I know some use psyllium husks. Perhaps some of the oils (flax, fish) would help as well.