Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 00:11

Plan: Nothing
Stats: 107/107/125 Male 5'3
BF:
Progress:
Default Constipation, Gas, and Underweight

Hello,

I’m an underweight guy (always been) and when I eat grains and starchy carbs I suffer from a lot of gas. Ironically, these are the only foods that prevent me from being constipated. I’m looking for a low carb plan that will not constipate me nor give me any gas and at the same time help me gain weight. I’ve tried low carbing before but it has always resulted in being constipated and I get a lot of gas from cruciferous vegetables and many fruits. Another problem I’ve encountered is not feeling satisfied or satiated after my meals on low carb. One low carb plan I was attracted to was Jan Kwasniewski’s homo optimus diet. Though I didn’t go hungry, the amount of fat made me incredibly tired and nauseous throughout the entire day. My biggest concern is the constipation issue. I’ve tried making sure I get enough water, magnesium supplements, not eating cheese etc. and nothing has seemed to help. Have any of you been in a similar situation in regards to being underweight, gas, and constipation?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 14:58

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartMaster
Hello,

I’m an underweight guy (always been) and when I eat grains and starchy carbs I suffer from a lot of gas. Ironically, these are the only foods that prevent me from being constipated. I’m looking for a low carb plan that will not constipate me nor give me any gas and at the same time help me gain weight. I’ve tried low carbing before but it has always resulted in being constipated and I get a lot of gas from cruciferous vegetables and many fruits. Another problem I’ve encountered is not feeling satisfied or satiated after my meals on low carb. One low carb plan I was attracted to was Jan Kwasniewski’s homo optimus diet. Though I didn’t go hungry, the amount of fat made me incredibly tired and nauseous throughout the entire day. My biggest concern is the constipation issue. I’ve tried making sure I get enough water, magnesium supplements, not eating cheese etc. and nothing has seemed to help. Have any of you been in a similar situation in regards to being underweight, gas, and constipation?

First off, have you mentioned this to your doctor? I would discuss this with him first. It seems like you really don't like low carb. Why do you want to do it?
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-25-10, 18:44

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Unrefined coconut oil. Trust me.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 22:36

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by black57
First off, have you mentioned this to your doctor? I would discuss this with him first. It seems like you really don't like low carb. Why do you want to do it?

I currenty don't have a doctor (for various reasons) to mention this to. The reason I would like to do low carb is because I believe it might alleviate some of my digestive problems (i.e.gas, bloating). If I can somehow avoid constipation and gain weight in addition, that would be the ultimate.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-26-10, 22:43

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Unrefined coconut oil. Trust me.

Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about oil for constipation? Gas? To gain weight? All three??? I've eaten coconut oil in the past, like maybe a couple tablespoons a day and didn't notice the slightest bit of difference in terms of better bowel movements. Although, I may have not consumed the correct dosage. I'd appreciate some more info on this if it's something you've had personal experience with.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 09:41
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Sounds like gluten intolerance or celiac disease. You might want to google on those and see if your symptoms match up.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 10:24

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Sounds like gluten intolerance or celiac disease. You might want to google on those and see if your symptoms match up.

I highly doubt it's gluten intolerance as I get distress from certain vegetables, fruit, and other starchy carbs besides wheat. Celiac disease is also very slim as I don't have most of the symptoms. But humor me. What exactly was in my post that led you to believe I have these things?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 10:50
Experimenter

BF:

Basically what you said about eating grains, constipation and gas and being underweight.

Why don't you give gluten-free a try for a couple weeks? Can't hurt to just test the hypothesis right?

The symptoms of gluten intolerance are so widely varied. Not everyone gets diarrhea, some get constipated, not everyone is under weight, some are overweight. Some have neurological issues rather than obvious intestinal issues. Some get a skin disease form of it.

Read "The Gluten File" for more info. Or if you're interested in a book, try reading "Dangerous Grains".

Quote:
"Classic" Celiac Disease presents with GI symptoms and wasting, but most Celiac Disease does not present in classic form. It is important to note that Celiac Disease can be 'silent'- totally asymptomatic, until the complications of malabsorption begin to set in many years down the road. Some adults suffer depression or anemia as their only symptom. Children's symptoms can be as mundane as stomach aches and canker sores. One can be tall and/or overweight and have Celiac Disease, counter to many physicians outdated beliefs. Twenty percent of those with Celiac Disease suffer constipation rather than diarrhea...and only 50% have diarrhea. GI symptoms can be completely absent.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 12:41

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Basically what you said about eating grains, constipation and gas and being underweight.

Why don't you give gluten-free a try for a couple weeks? Can't hurt to just test the hypothesis right?

The symptoms of gluten intolerance are so widely varied. Not everyone gets diarrhea, some get constipated, not everyone is under weight, some are overweight. Some have neurological issues rather than obvious intestinal issues. Some get a skin disease form of it.

Read "The Gluten File" for more info. Or if you're interested in a book, try reading "Dangerous Grains".

Like I said, I have the same problem when I eat non-glutinous carbs. For example, I tried the SCD diet and it was horrible.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 14:40
Experimenter

BF:

Did you ever try eliminating dairy along with grains? SCD is grain free but includes dairy.

I know a lot of celiacs/gluten intolerant folks have issues with other things too, like corn, dairy, soy and other foods. Sometimes it's just a matter of giving the gut some time to heal and then you can start to digest other stuff. Other times it seems like those foods have to go permanently.

You could try an all meat diet for awhile. Plenty of people here follow such a plan.

Another thought is fructose intolerance, some people seem to be unable to digest it properly. I think starches are broken down my amylase so perhaps you're not manufacturing enough of that.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 17:00

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Did you ever try eliminating dairy along with grains? SCD is grain free but includes dairy.

I know a lot of celiacs/gluten intolerant folks have issues with other things too, like corn, dairy, soy and other foods. Sometimes it's just a matter of giving the gut some time to heal and then you can start to digest other stuff. Other times it seems like those foods have to go permanently.

You could try an all meat diet for awhile. Plenty of people here follow such a plan.

Another thought is fructose intolerance, some people seem to be unable to digest it properly. I think starches are broken down my amylase so perhaps you're not manufacturing enough of that.

I've taken high quality digestive enzymes before and there may have been a slight (emphasis on slight) improvement in symptoms. Definitely nothing where I can be like "oh yeah, this is it!"

I know dairy is a problem for a lot of people but I've never really had any issues with it. In fact, I LOVE my whole milk!

I've attempted an all meat diet although it wasn't for any significant period of time. The problem with it is this. It seems to cause constipation very quickly which forces me to abandon it.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 17:17
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Magnesium and fat both help relieve constipation. I know, I get constipated if I don't take enough magnesium every other day or so. Tried fiber and drinking more water -- that makes things worse.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 17:40

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Magnesium and fat both help relieve constipation. I know, I get constipated if I don't take enough magnesium every other day or so. Tried fiber and drinking more water -- that makes things worse.

I agree that I need to do further experimenting with fat in my diet. But I've tried magnesium before and I didn't notice any difference.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-27-10, 19:35
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FartMaster
I agree that I need to do further experimenting with fat in my diet. But I've tried magnesium before and I didn't notice any difference.

You need to take a high dose of the sort that isn't absorbed well, like magnesium oxide. If you look at a bottle of Philips Magnesium pills you'll get an idea of how high a dose you need. It's like 1500-2000 mg of Mag. oxide.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-29-10, 05:38

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I've read both your threads and I agree with NancyLC that the first place to start would be going gluten and dairy free. I too used to eat grain products to combat constipation.

In sensitive people, gluten damages the intestines, and has a drug like effect on the brain, and also the gut. Diary *also* has a huge drug like effect on the gut.

If I eat any dairy more than 2 T of butter, I become constipated. My whole gut will shut down for 2 days as if I'd taken morphine or an imodium.

Dairy used to be my favorite food in the whole world. I drank milk daily before I went low carb, and I'd put cheese on anything the would stand still!

Gluten intolerance will not necessarily give you pain directly from grain foods, especially not if you still eat them regularly. I never had *any* of the classic symptoms. I also don't get a positive from the blood test. But now that I've been gluten free for a year, I can definitely tell if I accidentally get contaminated, and I've also had some wonderful signs of healing and do much better than I ever have with veggies.

I'm guessing from your height, weight, and writing style that you are young. I recommend you track down VersatileD here on the forums. He is also young, male, and slightly underweight, although since he made changes in his diet he has begun gaining weight. We helped him determine that he is gluten intolerant, and he now feels better than he ever has.