Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-02-10, 17:05

Plan: my own
Stats: 170/170/143.5 Female 5 feet 3.75 inches
BF:
Progress:
Exclamation Hey! Edema??!? Also online Candida Questionaire said I have severe candida.

Can edema be, worsened, or caused by severe candida? Have any of you ever scored high on an online questionnaire and had it confirmed by a doctor?

I have heart failure and lung disease; but I've never had swelling to this degree and my condition hadn't been worse until recently. My doctor said my edema wasn't from heart failure. I think maybe candida is aggravating some edema and taxing my heart more than it should be.

Ah, I don't know if I have Candida yet, but with the 3 questionairres I took online they all said "you almost certainly have candida" or "you likely have severe candida see a doctor right away".

Just trying to "connect the dots".
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-06-10, 04:00

Plan: Gluten Free low carb
Stats: 158.2/133.5/120 Female 63 inches
BF:28.03/21.17/21.26
Progress: 65%

Hi Ionica
I'm no doctor but have been following an anti-candida diet for some months and yes, I had very bad water retention/edema during and after having my last baby. It has taken 5 months to get under control. I also suffered from palpitations and lung issues during this time (though perhaps no where near as serious as yours). I would say you could easily start a LC diet (most importantly cut out all sugar, all grains, all dairy, alcohol and anything packeted and really starchy veg like root veg - potato, sweet potato, other tubers) without taking anti-candida meds to see if it starts to help you. You will need supplements as well - I use those recommended by Bee Wilder - do a google search and you'll find her site. Go very easy on things like coconut oil and niacin to start with and other treatments that will dump toxins from your body, to your blood and to your liver as it sounds like you might have quite a lot in your blood already.

Please please do check with your doctor before introducing anything anti-fungal and anything other than dietary changes to LC. There is a Hydrogen breath test that can be done to assess the state of your gut and here in the UK there are some pharamaceutical companies that will do a private panel of stool sample to check for parasites, candida overgrowth etc. Please do also look after your liver - as that is what is going to get you through this. Go gently!!!!

Hope this helps somewhat, Caroline
p.s. I spoke to my doctor who said that approx 65% of everyone in the western world suffers from Candida overgrowth of some degree...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-07-10, 03:02

BF:
Progress:

Thanks! Yeah, I did a low candida diet for two days and felt like hell. I don't think I can handle it. At the same time, I can't handle the swelling. The swelling might be purely from the heart failure, but I can't know for sure. It just fluctuates so much that I become unsure. I haven't heard of a hydrogen test here. I've gotten a new doctor recently and I'll see what he thinks. Thank you very much for your reply. I think you're right about the liver. I have a slightly high bilirubin and low protein. 4.2 instead of 6.5.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, May-08-10, 04:47

So glad to be of some help. You can start doing a semi-anti candida diet keeping in things like white rice and potatoes so that you have some carbs to prevent your body from reacting badly. This is what I did. It sometimes takes weeks/months to get yourself off foods without your body going in to effective shock. Let me know how you go. Are you taking Vitamin supplements/Vit C etc?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-09-10, 13:32

BF:
Progress:

I'm not. I've actually got some pretty severe stuff going on. I know the candida is hurting me, and intestinal edema from heart failure(rvhf) is also hindering absorption. I don't know what supplements would be safe with my meds. I wish I could just get rid of that problem easily so my body would have a slightly easier time.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 02:03

Hi Ionica, have you managed to work out what to do about your edema? Did your doc prescribe diuretics btw? Not that I would recommend these! I've started reading both the yeast Syndrome and Connection. If I come across anything that might help you will let you know.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, May-22-10, 09:00

BF:
Progress:

My doctor has increased my diuretics by four times. It's not helping me lose water, but at least I'm not gaining now. He said there's a chance that the antibiotics I took in December killed off all of my intestinal bacteria and that's what caused my intestinal edema. We have me on a stomach healing drug for that, and also a lot of probiotics (over the counter). This was on Monday. I haven't seen any huge difference, if any, yet. I do have less pain in my stomach. I asked him if it could be candida overgrowth giving me some symptoms; he said it's usually with the vagina in women, and said he didn't think it was the case in my gut. Thanks for asking!

I hope I can make it better, but I think it's related to my heart failure.

OH he said I might have an ovarian cyst, so we're going to look into that.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 03:40

A silly question I know, but how much water do you drink in the day? What other drinks do you have? Coffee/Tea? I heard that the body bloats with water because it is trying to dilute toxins in the blood and lymph that would otherwise be toxic? So taking diuretics whilst it gets rid of the water, it doesn't help your body get rid of the toxins as effectively as drinking plain filtered water. I normally sip a glass of water throughout the day... though I find sometimes too much does not have a good effect. Normally it is and Oz per KG of body weight. So now I should drink about 60 or so OZ plus a bit more if I feel bloated. I had obstetric cholestasis with both of my pregnancies and had to carefully detox during both to prevent my bilirubin levels climbing and basically killing my babies in utero. I held on to MASSES of water - it was the bilirubin which caused this - which goes back to what you said. One thing I haven't spoken about is my amazing acupuncturist. I would be seeing her every two weeks during pregnancy at times because I felt so ill and she has really helped bring me back to health (so not just the anti-candida diet!). Do you have a recommended acupuncturist you might be able to see. They can help your body fix itself through careful treatment in conjunction with the therapies your doctor is using. I am lucky to have found a really good one... you need to find one who is experienced in treating your conditions specifically. Anyway, am thinking of you!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 03:42

Forgot to add that acupuncturists won't be able to KILL candida but they can help your body fight it. Once you feel well enough you could then try the diet again.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 09:56

BF:
Progress:

I was wondering if an acupuncturist could help me actually. Well, I know my body isn't getting rid of toxins well because if I take my digoxin how it's prescribed, it builds up to a toxic level, so I have to vary it depending on how my heart feels. I don't even want to be on it. The lasix is causing rebound edema, they said. Man, I wish my liver wasn't constantly taxed. It's going to be though with my heart disease. My heart just isn't beating well enough to run my kidneys super effectively. Ug.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-23-10, 10:56

I think you should definitely give it a try... Would your doctor recommend one? If you are in the US there is an acupuncture council/association so you could go to them for direction on getting the best person for you... it must be difficult having to take meds that you know are also affecting you in other ways.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 15:31
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 116/113/110 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress:

Hi Ionica,

I had terrible edema and candida during my first pregnancy to the point where I could push my finger into my skin and make a lasting imprint. I suspect you might want to try milk thistle to help the liver (check with your doctor first, but it is very good) and I think you may want to be tested for T3 (the cause of my problems initially).

I have since had edema when I took things (notably St John's Wort) that were hard on my already-suffering endocrine system. Also, when my candida was bad and when I was drinking a lot of caffeine (which is also really hard on the thyroid gland which was underfunctioning with the T4/T3 conversion).

Some people can't convert T4 thyroid hormone to T3 very efficiently, especially if you have malabsorption/candida/parasites. This is because you need certain amino acids to do this (actually some are made in the liver I believe and some are absorbed) and if you are deficient in those, you get low T3 hormone which causes edema among other things.

If your heart isn't beating well enough, this is also a sign of low thyroid hormone (hypothyroidism) and also very likely low adrenal function. There are supplements to help, but really, you need to see someone who will evaluate and test your whole condition properly, since this is just the internet. If I were you though, and given the candida connection (it can also disrupt crucial hormones in your body by preventing the endocrine system from sending and receiving signals properly), I would maybe look into getting tested for adrenal function and full thyroid hormone spectrum function tests, as well as looking into candida/parasites.

Here is a link which may help explain the connection better:

http://www.tpa-uk.org.uk/thyroid_ad...dysfunction.pdf

I hope it helps a bit. I feel for you. Been there, done that, got that t-shirt. XXXX