Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 07:31

Plan: mindful eating
Stats: 184.5/178.5/140 Female 66
BF:41/40/25
Progress: 13%
Default Has fiber actually helped anyone with ibs on this forum?

I'm just wondering. I just went to a new dr and told him about my 16 year struggle with constipation and he told be to take benefiber
This is right after I told him that fiber makes me worse and veggies and fruits only give me gas but don't help with the constipation. I know he is just following what he has been told but it is so frustration, does he think I live on the moon and have never heard the advice to try fiber!! I have been on every diet in the spectrum of diets to try to fix it and the highest in fiber (raw vegan) where I was eating like 80 grams of fiber a day made me feel the worst. The more vegetation I remove from my diet the better I feel but he didn't think that should work so in the end he told me that my ibs was prob in between my ears not in my intestines uh huh right.

Sorry for the rant. But has anyone experienced something similar?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 08:23

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh here I am again LOL I don't want yo to think I am stalking you!!! But you are posing some great questions that I have specific experience with

My hubby suffered his entire LIFE with constipation.. he was diagnosed at 8 years old with encopresis. So he spent the next 7 years or so on metamucil ect. They only worked for a little while then he would have to try something else.

As he got older, the condition turned into full blown constipation. He would go 10-14 days, and when he did go, it was painful and massive. The running joke (not really funny...) was that if he was coming to visit, make sure you have the toilet plunger available.

He went VLC/ZC a year ago, and even after over 4 years of Low Carb, the transformation happened almost immediately. He is 100% 'cured' and he eats no grains, no vegetation and no fruit. he 'goes' every 2-4 days, not unlike myself. They are soft and easy to pass (check out the 'bristol chart' and he falls in a 4 most of the time...)

If he does eat something off plan, and it happens (because he is not as carb sensitive as me and some days he is just too lazy to toss the bun...), he does suffer. The bloat and discomfort returns almost immediately.

My 7 year old daughter was a lot like him. Her stools were like hard little round deer turds and she would go every 4-7 days. She would spend a loooooooong time in the bathroom. But since removing the vegetables and grains from her diet as well, this is no longer an issue for her either.

You just have to make sure you are eating enough fat.. that fat will take care of all of that for you, and you already know you should not be eating grains.

There are times when we have to take our health into our own hands, despite what the Doctors might say. I am not sure what I would say if a Doctor told me to do something that made me feel worse or that I know is just not right. I would probably just smile and nod and do what works for me anyway.

Good luck, this is really a learning curve for all of us! You can also do some research on fiber, there is a book called The Fiber Menace that you might enjoy...
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 09:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by margot

My 7 year old daughter was a lot like him. Her stools were like hard little round deer turds and she would go every 4-7 days. She would spend a loooooooong time in the bathroom. But since removing the vegetables and grains from her diet as well, this is no longer an issue for her either.

You just have to make sure you are eating enough fat.. that fat will take care of all of that for you, and you already know you should not be eating grains.

There are times when we have to take our health into our own hands, despite what the Doctors might say. I am not sure what I would say if a Doctor told me to do something that made me feel worse or that I know is just not right. I would probably just smile and nod and do what works for me anyway.

Good luck, this is really a learning curve for all of us! You can also do some research on fiber, there is a book called The Fiber Menace that you might enjoy...

You're like my very own lc mentor

I have the exact thing your daughter does, I say that my little 20 lb pug dog makes bigger poops than I do I also have found that the more fat the better and the less fiber the better.
I also just nodded and said "uh-huh okay dr" even though I wanted to bite his head off! It just sucks that they don't ever listen to your actual experiences and if you say their ideas don't work for you they tell you you're crazy and need to talk to someone about your problems! aggghhh!

Anyway, thanks for all your help, I am really considering doing zero carb, you and your family are inspiring. Your before and after pictures look like completely different people!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-13-10, 09:15

Plan: Zero Carbs since 01/09
Stats: 220/134.8/135 Female 63inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

While I personally think ZC is a fabulous choice, I also understand it is not for everyone.. it is hard.

But what I WOULD do if I was VLC or even low carb, is that I would make sure when I did eat vegetables, that they were cooked and never raw. This might be something to try for a while if you want to see if that alone makes a difference.

Thanks for the compliment BTW! I definitely feel like a whole new person
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 14:59

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I have been eating Flax breads and fiber in Atkins bars, and low carb high fiber tortillas,. and if I stick to them, I am not a Rabbit...
I have had this constipation problem all my life... Flax fiber helps me so much...
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 16:02

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

I take 3 grams of vitamin C everyday. Partially, it was because I read that it can be more effective than fiber for regularity.

I could care less about being regular, but I don't like the occasional unpleasant effects of a low bulk diet.

The C works for me in that respect.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-26-10, 16:34
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

FWIW, I know people with IBS who can't eat any flax at all...I do think that its a very YMMV kind of thing and each person has to figure out what their own body needs.

One of my dogs was Dx with IBD....was put on Rx food and in my attempts to find her a food that didn't cost so much, I discovered that foods with flax really irritated her intestines and colin.
The Rx food doesn't have any flax and uses sweet potato as the starch.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 06:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobiam
I take 3 grams of vitamin C everyday. Partially, it was because I read that it can be more effective than fiber for regularity.

I could care less about being regular, but I don't like the occasional unpleasant effects of a low bulk diet.

The C works for me in that respect.

I know lemon juice always helps me a lot, I wonder if it is partly because of the vit C?

Maybe you don't care about being regular because you have always been fairly regular. It's years of struggling that made it an issue for me. Walk around for day or two with the feeling that you have a brick up your butt and you will probably start caring

I think flax can be good if you are a normal person with no problems and just need a little boost, but if you already have intestinal inflammation it only makes things worse. In that case soothing fixes work better. Nothing works faster for me than hot water with lemon juice and honey, no fiber or bulk just slippery soothing warmth.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 09:09
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

For whatever reason, coconut flour about the highest fiber thing in the world, gives me terrible constipation. My issue tends to be IBS-D so I could tell you the vast list of foods that make me poop but it probably wouldn't be helpful.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-27-10, 22:06

Plan: NANY
Stats: 503/405/175 Male 72 inches
BF:plenty :)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeJoi
I know lemon juice always helps me a lot, I wonder if it is partly because of the vit C?

Maybe you don't care about being regular because you have always been fairly regular. It's years of struggling that made it an issue for me. Walk around for day or two with the feeling that you have a brick up your butt and you will probably start caring

A number of years ago I did the optifast thing. lost a lot of weight. the worst part about it was those bricks.