Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jul-06-07, 20:11
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Dear, dear sweet Larry!

I wanted to post here to make sure you saw it!

You misunderstand DH! He meant that I actually look THINNER in real-life than that picture makes me look!

I know who to call if I ever need someone to defend my honor in his absence!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 19:37

Plan: PP/PPLP
Stats: 150/140/140 Male 68 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleH
Dear, dear sweet Larry!
Awww...... shucks . . . (the smilly does not even begin to blush as much as I am! )
Quote:
I wanted to post here to make sure you saw it!
Yep! I did!
Quote:
You misunderstand DH! He meant that I actually look THINNER in real-life than that picture makes me look!
That sounds MUCH better!!! For those that don't know what this is about, go here. Read my reply, the second one.
Quote:
I know who to call if I ever need someone to defend my honor in his absence!
That is what I am, an OLD fashioned gentleman (mostly) that still thinks that a MAN opens the doors for Ladies, etc., something that the lesbian “womens libers” threw out with their wanting to have political power. And that is all I think I should say ‘bout that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthla
Specifically, I hope they go into detail about WHY they've changed the protein requirements from being based on lean body weight to being based on current body weight.
Ruthla, I was looking back thru the old posts and saw your question. Did not know if you got a satisfactory answer. I think that the Eades really are in favor of the lean body weight (mass) as the basis for the protein needed. But enough people had trouble in calculating their protein requirements using the PUP formula that they made the tables up too be simple enough for everybody. Also their figures are meant to be the MINIMUM required. Hope that helps.

Finally for everyone else;
This was waiting for me when I went to “spritz” my orchids this morning. Enjoy!
Click on image to see it full size.

Last edited by LarryAJ : Sat, Jul-07-07 at 19:45.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 00:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 240/185/150 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryAJ
Have any of you heard of "Life Line Screening", where they come in and give you four tests for cardiac function? A friend did it and when I got an ad in the mail I thought I would try it. The do a sonagrams looking for blockage or aneurysms of the abdominal aorta and of the carotid artery (in the neck). A bone density check, also sonar, of your heel. And a “peripheral arterial disease screen” that looks at the difference in blood pressure in each ankle and wrist. I will get the results in two to three weeks.

See you all later,
Larry

I had those tests done, I needed some assurances at the time right after my husband had his heart attack. My results were good, no abdominal aorta blockages, leg circulation fine and carotid arteries clear. I only had a bone scan recently so I did not need theirs. And I saw a number of people my age there (58) who at first I thought were older, until we got talking. So I guess since I looked way younger than they did, eating this way has many more perks than we realize.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 12:03

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 195/177.8/155 Female 55 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Hello, everyone! I picked up a copy of PPLP today and DH and I are very excited about starting it. I'm just finishing up week four of a five week program through a Dr's office that is very similar, but much more restrictive. I've lost 12 pounds on it, but I can't see myself doing it much longer because I'm sick of it! The PPLP allows more variety. I figure the weight loss will be a little slower, but it's a WOE that I can live with.

Serene
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-09-07, 15:23

BF:

Welcome Serene. I hope you will join in and be active posting here.

It would not be right if I “lectured” Sara about getting the first book Protein Power published in 1995. (Look at the post earlier in this thread.) It goes sort of like;
Quote:
You need to get and read PP also. If you look at my posts, especially those in this section of the board, you find that I have often said that BOTH books are really necessary to fully grasp the Drs. Eades diet. PP and PPLP approach the plan from different angles. Moreover one will explain some part of the plan better than the other. So please get and read (and reread) both.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 05:04

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Okay, okay, Larry! I haven't gotten the book yet, but I will! You don't have to j/k. Maybe I'll even get it today....is this a book to buy or get from the library? Wait, let me guess....it's probably in paperback and less than $10 so I should just buy it, right?
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 07:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
it's probably in paperback and less than $10 so I should just buy it, right?
Yep! You could even go to amazon.com and get a used copy cheeper.

Being an engineer (EE and ME), I am into the science of things, so I read PPLP three times. But only read PP once, though I do refer back to it as needed. One of the things that is in PP that is not in PPLP is the issue of potasium loss at the begining when you do induction.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jul-10-07, 22:11

Plan: Low-carb
Stats: 166/150/132 Female 5'3.5"
BF:31%/ ? /23.5%
Progress: 47%
Default Scrambling eggs?

Please forgive if this has been discussed; I couldn't find anything with the search function:

I've been re-reading PPLP and wondered if there's been any research since its publication about scrambling eggs and the release of lipid peroxides when the cholesterol in the yolk is exposed to heat and air? The chapter on "Antioxidant Use and Abuse" recommends the Purist's approach: poached, boiled, fried w/ yolks intact.

I wondered if there's more on this subject?

Cheers--
Terry-24
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 05:04
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Terry - sorry I haven't answered, but it's just because I don't know! It's a good question, though, and a great reminder of the effects of cooking on our food.

I'm just checking in with everyone before leaving on a mini-vacation. We're heading up to Lake George to go camping through Sunday and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll grant you that it's TRUE camping (on an island, no running water, etc.) but I'm packing tons of good LC stuff to bring with me and will have lots of water and sun and swimming. Presides some pre-natals, what more do I need?

Have a great weekend, everyone!
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-12-07, 06:46

Plan: PP
Stats: 127/127/105 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hi everyone!! I want to thank jkm and Bawdy for their wonderful advice they have given me these past few days!! Thisp plan is "calling" me!! i am a fruit aholic and aas we all know - you can definately get fat by eating too much fruit!! - In addition to feeling like ~##~~!! My dh fast during the day and I truly envy him for that - every time I try I cave and binge - this cyclce is getting old and I am ready to change! I did make my fasting bottles up today and then took a 5 mile walk and said - no!! I have to do this! I want to get in a routine and finally put all of this dieting to an end! The difficulty on this plan will be salads - I eat huge salads at night - only romaine red onion and broccolli but I do not limit! Dressing is usually balsamic vinegar and a raw egg. I know I can still do this - just limit myself to one salad and make sure I have protein - I never do! Well - thanks for listening - any advice would be soooooooo appreciated!!
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 06:00

Plan: Protein Power/Paleo
Stats: 188.5/169.5/145 Female 5 ft. 9 in.
BF:way/too/much!
Progress: 44%

Okay, I bought PP the other day, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I gained 2.5 lbs. at my daughter's college orientation in 2 days, despite eating LC at the dining hall and dinner. Must've been the mocha, m&M's on the way home, and pizza for dinner. Not the orientation, evidently. Stress.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 09:51

Plan: PP
Stats: 127/127/105 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:

I am so pleased to have found this book and site! For once I am not fighting back and forth with the "voices" in my head regarding diet. We all struggle with this but it is nice to finally believe in a way of life. - I feel I can do this forever!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 11:23

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmrun
Hi everyone!! I want to thank jkm and Bawdy for their wonderful advice they have given me these past few days!! Thisp plan is "calling" me!! i am a fruit aholic and aas we all know - you can definately get fat by eating too much fruit!! - In addition to feeling like ~##~~!! My dh fast during the day and I truly envy him for that - every time I try I cave and binge - this cyclce is getting old and I am ready to change! I did make my fasting bottles up today and then took a 5 mile walk and said - no!! I have to do this! I want to get in a routine and finally put all of this dieting to an end! The difficulty on this plan will be salads - I eat huge salads at night - only romaine red onion and broccolli but I do not limit! Dressing is usually balsamic vinegar and a raw egg. I know I can still do this - just limit myself to one salad and make sure I have protein - I never do! Well - thanks for listening - any advice would be soooooooo appreciated!!

Don't fast during the day when you first start this WOE. Its a sure way to force your body to crave carbs and fail at low carb. There are people here who do intermittent fasting, or even skip meals if they are not hungry, but this is not part of the regular plan. Eat at least three meals, or if you like break them up into 5-6 smaller meals.

Your salads sould great. Throw some baked or grilled chicken on there and you are done. I seriously do not limit my veggie intake - but I do eat my protein first - and if i want more veggies I have them. I eat big salads - with protein on them - 4-5 times a week.

Now, keep in mind that this has gotten me 75% of the way. The last 25% is going to take a more focused mindset and setting stricter limits on calories/fat/portions and gettting more exercise. You may or may not need to do that since everyone is different. Go by the plan, but don't torture yourself.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jul-13-07, 11:30

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

I also want to toss in that since you only have around 20 pounds to lose that if weight loss is your goal the progress is going to be a bit slower than others you see here. You may, as Bawdy suggested, need to make adjustments to get to your goal: less fat, setting calorie limits, etc. Some folks find that more fat helps the loss.

First things first tho' - it takes a while for your body to adjust to low carb/burning fat for fuel. Be kind to yourself the first week or two as you may notice symptoms of "induction flu" as your body makes the switch (tired, nausea, crabby, headache). Supplements and water will help a lot (see the book). But you also need some time to adjust so I would not be too restrictive with limiting things that are part of the plan (salad, broccoli) and that you enjoy.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jul-14-07, 22:35

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaSara6
Okay, I bought PP the other day, but haven't had a chance to open it yet. I gained 2.5 lbs. at my daughter's college orientation in 2 days, despite eating LC at the dining hall and dinner. Must've been the mocha, m&M's on the way home, and pizza for dinner. Not the orientation, evidently. Stress.
I think I ate all the way to and from the school when I brought my daughter to orientation!! It's a very stressful time!!

I hope you like PP. It's the best as far as I'm concerned. Give me meat and a few veggies and I'm happy!!