Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:49
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

I tried the CKD, too. I didn't do well but I think that had more to do with the fact that my carb ups turned into blow ups (literally!). I did manage to pack on a little muscle, though, so it wasn't a total loss.

My problem is with that last 20 pounds my body is holding hostage.

If I may - I'm a little disappointed. Going from the CKD, then to increasing my carbs a bit and back down to a TKD will be tough. I'm seeing the only 'bonus' (as far as eating) is a handful of candy in the morning! Not my idea of a good time.

I will look into the high GI's - I know I printed out a list of highs and lows sometime back.

So, one more time - 25 grams of high GI carbs, wo, then 20 grams of carb the rest of the day. My calories (10x bw) are those consumed AFTER the wo (right?). Or does that matter?

And on the day(s) you don't exercise it's lc as usual, right?

Thanks for the input! We'll be ready when Jalilah comes over from the dark side.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:51

Plan: CKD/modified atkins & protein power
Stats: 117/112/108
BF:15%
Progress: 56%

Lisa -

I'm so glad to hear (kinda sorta) that we've gone thru the same thing with the carb up portion of CKD! The up/down of weight gain/loss was exactly what this WOL was intended (for me at least) to eliminate! I am one of those people that when it comes to carbs "one is too many and one thousand not enough"

I'm convinced that the hormones governing our physiology is what makes these plans different for females than males (i.e. our pre-disposition to store food as fat).

But hey, we get less speeding tickets because we're women so some justice perhaps???

Sindee
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 13:54
empress of fashion

BF:

I thought we got less speeding tickets because we were simply better drivers.....!
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:02

Thumbs up

Thanks for the laugh - and you're right; I forgot to mention that

SL
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:54
Registered Member

Plan: TKD/BFL
Stats: 133/117/115
BF:30/17/14
Progress: 89%

Iowagirl,

Quote:
So, one more time - 25 grams of high GI carbs, wo, then 20 grams of carb the rest of the day. My calories (10x bw) are those consumed AFTER the wo (right?). Or does that matter?

I think that 10xbw is VERY low for someone who is working out. I think that Jalilah can attest to that. If you were not working out it might be OK but IMO I wouldn't go less than 12x. I may even increase mine to 13-14 if my energy gets low.

In true TKD you would follow the CKD parameters to get your Ketogenic Parameters. Use that for non-TKD days but you reduce your fat calories by 4 x Carbs (= calories from carbs) eaten in your CU on TKD days. Basically that's it in a nutshell.

So for you it would be 1716 daily calories. Lets say your parameter comes up with for Non-TKD day:
protein calories 514 - 30%
fat calories 1106 - 64.5%
carb calories 94 - 5.5%

You eat 25 carbs for your CU (thats 100 calories).
Now you eat on TKD days:
protein calories - same
fat calories 1006 - 58%
carb calories 194 - 12%

Hope this helps. I really think that keeping your percentages true to the parameters is the key to this diet working.
Lisa
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 14:59
empress of fashion

BF:
Default but seriously, folks...

What do you eat before your wo? Ok, besides smarties.
I was looking over some hi-gi foods and found ones I could stomach like.....oatmeal, popcorn, pretzels, rice cakes, rice products, bread -white or corn, bananas, pineapple and raisins.
I'm afraid you'll tell me the fruit is out but had to ask.

I really am confused about the fructose and other sugars. I remember reading CKD posts about other members eating lots of sweet cereals. Just can't get my head around the fact that those might be ok but not raisins.

Can I have fig newtons????

Help!
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:01
empress of fashion

BF:

Thanks for spelling out the parameters, Lisa!

This would be a whole lot simpler if I could just hire some kind of low carb chef/personal trainer.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:38
empress of fashion

BF:
Default one more thing

and then I will shut up!

I plugged tomorrow's menu into fitday and came up with....(drum roll please)

1697 calories
fat 51% (835 cals)
carbs 16% (260 cals)
protein 33% (548 cals)

Not exactly what you posted but close. My carbs are WAY over 20 grams - do I still need to stay in that area or should I just focus on calories/percentages?

Ok, I'll turn off my computer, now.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:51
Registered Member

This is from the book:

Although experimentation is encouraged, most individuals find that 25-50g carbs taken thirty min. before a workout enhances sperformance. The type of carb consumed pre-wo is NOT CRITICAL and individuals are encouraged to experiment with different types of carbs.

The safest time to consume carbs, in terms of maintaining ketosis, is before a wo and ketosis should be reestablished soon after training. Depending on total training volume, 25-50g carbs taken 30-60' prior to training seems to be a good amount. The type of carb is less critical for pre-workout carbs but quickly digested, high GI carbs seem to work best to avoid stomach upset.

Then Lyle says that if a post-workout is done then an additional 25-50g of glucose or glucose polymers are recommended. Fructose and sucrose should be avoided as they can refill liver glycogen and interrupt ketosis.

Sounds like fruit is OK. Maybe I'll be into my leftover back of pretzels from CKD!

Lisa
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 15:55
Registered Member

Iowagirl,

Go to this address and do the CKD parameters for your specific weight and BF. This will determine your specific parameters.

If you don't know your BF then just plug in your waist size. I wasn't able to do it for you since you didn't have your BF posted.

CKD Parameters web page

Lisa
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 16:22
Registered Member

Iowagirl,

Quote:
Not exactly what you posted but close. My carbs are WAY over 20 grams - do I still need to stay in that area or should I just focus on calories/percentages?

Adjust, adjust adjust...I think you'll see much better results keeping the carbs at 20 AND your percentages on target. How many carbs were you over?

I enter my dinner, breakfast and lunch. Then I used the protein shakes and snacks to get my percentages in line. If I'm low on fat I add cream cheese mixed w/vanilla/splenda. Low on protein I add extra powder. Low on carbs add a wasa etc.

Lisa
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 17:34
empress of fashion

BF:

Thanks! You've been very helpful!

I figured my parameters. Now I remember why I never posted my bf!!!!!! I'm heading back to fitday,now. Keeping those carbs at 20 after the wo.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 18:03

Talking great day on TKD

Wanted to offer this since it was my first day doing tkd instead of ckd -

Did the 25g smartie carbs before my run and although I felt a little better on my run what I've REALLY noticed is how I did the rest of the day I dumped the post-workout shake with carbs and ate 'real food' (turkey burger with safflower mayo) and kept the rest of the day at 20g.

For the first time since I messed myself up with the post-workout carbs and shake I actually got thru the day WITHOUT thinking the entire day about food!!!

Iowagirl - instant oatmeal is very high GI and rice cakes are off the map GI so if you can do your best with this!

Lisa - thank you, thank you, THANK YOU! Your advice has been such a help. Building a shrine honoring you in my kitchen tonight

I'm amazed that after hundreds of dollars in supplements for energy and appetite suppressant I may have discovered a .97 cent solution in the isle of Wal-Mart that I always tried to avoid!

Sindee
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:33
Registered Member

Sindee,

Sounds like you had an awesome day! Let's keep each other posted with our progress.

Lisa
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 02:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 130/130/110
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi! i workout like 2-3 hrs everyday, mwf sundays i do weights...i was suppose to start atkins but thought otherwise since im exercisin and i rly odnt want to burn muscles but want to lose fat...im thinkin of doin TKD but my question is..how many pounds doesone expect to lose in a week in tkd?is it much slower in weightloss than atkins?
and does the CU apply only for days i do my weights and not when i do like 2 - 2 1/2 hours aerobic activity??
and lastly, u mean i only eat 25 grams carbbs b4 i workout?that and nuthin else???..........
and rly rly last....is soybean curd allowed for a carbup?since i think it has more of a carb ratio.....

sorry for too much queries...im tryin to see if i could get lyle's book to further explain the tkd but ryt now im outta cash