Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Dec-24-09, 08:59

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%

[QUOTE=KT12]What are the ingredients in that Candida Clear by NOW? Is it a natural antifungal?

Ingredients: Cellulose (capsule), Rice Flour, Gum Arabic, Garlic (bulb), Olive Leaf, Cat’s Claw Root, Wormwood Herb, Silica and Magnesium Stearate (vegetable source).

Free of: no sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, soy, milk, egg, preservatives or artificial colors.

A little shaky this morning but nothing I can not handle. First day of 3 a day also that time of month so maybe that has something to do with that!!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-26-09, 12:59

Plan: N/A
Stats: 140/140/140 Male 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KT12
Where did you hear that yogurt was bad? This is like one of the best foods to eat in order to get good probiotic bacteria in your gut. The only time they don't suggest eating it is if you have an intolerance to it, but most people who are lactose intolerant are able to handle yogurt because of the good bacteria in it.

Here are just a couple for now.

http://www.candidablog.com/can-yogurt-cure-candida

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/c...ida-yogurt.html

http://www.annecollins.com/foods-for-candida-diet.htm

http://candidarecovery.com/snacks.htm

Last edited by Tom873 : Sat, Dec-26-09 at 20:13.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 03:58

BF:
Progress:

#19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 08:52
Registered Member

Stats: 127/127/127 Male 165cm
BF:
Progress:

In regards to yogurt, when it comes to researching information on the internet, it's important to separate fact from fiction.

When i'm looking for information, I try and find it in peer reviewed research journals, or publications with an established reputation in the medical industry. What I don't turn to is blogs or forums, unless the person writing the blog or the person posting on the forum includes links to research that supports their opinion.

Below are two of such links...

Quote:

Nutritional Approaches to Healthy Intestinal Bacteria

Studies have shown that daily ingestion of 150 mL of yogurt enriched with live Lactobacillus acidophilus can increase levels of friendly bacteria in the rectum and vagina (Shalev E et al 1996). Studies have shown that a daily cup of yogurt significantly reduces the risk of candida infection and colonization (Hilton E et al 1992). This therapy is generally well tolerated, except among people with specific milk protein allergies. Even people who are lactose intolerant oftentimes find that yogurt is tolerable.

Fructooligosaccharides: Fructooligosaccharides are a form of sugar that has been shown to boost beneficial bacteria levels. One teaspoon (4 g) daily of fructooligosaccharide promotes the proliferation of friendly bifido bacteria in the gut (Howard MD et al 1995; Oyarzabal OA et al 1995; Buddington RK et al 1996).

Quote:
The successful treatment of intestinal candidiasis requires a comprehensive approach involving the reduction of risk factors for candida overgrowth, improving immune function, enhancing digestion and elimination, supporting liver function, and inhibiting candidal growth. The general protocol often used involves three components.

1.) The first is a diet prescription that essentially starves yeast of its main fuel – sugar.

2.) Second, beneficial bacteria such as lactobacillus and bifidobacteria are ingested as they compete for space with the yeast and therefore rebalance the “microflora.”

3.) Third, anti-fungal substances are prescribed to kill the yeast.

The dietary component of this program is very important since yeast feeds on carbohydrates. Foods recommended for this diet are higher in protein and “good” fats. They include eggs, fish, chicken, turkey, seafood, tofu, tempeh, nuts and seeds, non-starchy vegetables, and plain cow or goat yogurt with live cultures....(Yogurt, although a milk product, is virtually devoid of the milk sugar lactose and is thus acceptable unless you have a dairy allergy.)
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 10:09

BF:
Progress:

Thanks KT12. And I don't blame you on not trusting the internet that much. I'm just going to play it better safe than sorry, just in case.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 10:59
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom873
Thanks KT12. And I don't blame you on not trusting the internet that much. I'm just going to play it better safe than sorry, just in case.

Well, I can also give you my personal experience. I had a Candida infection in my esophagus as you can see from my pictures.

During my treatment with antifungals, and everyday after even till this day, I eat yogurt both in the morning and in the evening. I have done this for 2 years now (because I was diagnosed and treated for Candida back in 2007) and I have not had a relapse of Candida.

If you want to eat yogurt, you can eat yogurt Tom. Just make sure it's the plain natural yogurt with live active cultures. Of course if you buy the crap yogurt that has all the sugar and candies in it, then that's of no benefit to you.

By the way, have you been to the doctor to inquire about testing for Candida?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 12:50

BF:
Progress:

The doctor, my allergist, and my psychologist told me that everything is in my head. I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist on the 11th of January. Hopefully, he'll help me out. Even if he doesn't, I'm still going to schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy. And thanks for the advice. I'm going to continue to eat yogurt. I get Stonyfield organic plain yogurt with active live cultures. I also take an acidophilus probiotic supplement. Do you know if it is too much? Should I only eat the yogurt and discontinue the supplement?
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 13:31
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
The doctor, my allergist, and my psychologist told me that everything is in my head. I have an appointment with my gastroenterologist on the 11th of January. Hopefully, he'll help me out. Even if he doesn't, I'm still going to schedule a colonoscopy and endoscopy. And thanks for the advice. I'm going to continue to eat yogurt. I get Stonyfield organic plain yogurt with active live cultures. I also take an acidophilus probiotic supplement. Do you know if it is too much? Should I only eat the yogurt and discontinue the supplement?

I eat both yogurt and a probiotic supplement everyday. I have had no problems with it.

Hopefully your gastro doctor will approve of you doing the endoscopy and colonoscopy. If you have a Candida infection, that's the best way to see it.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-28-09, 19:03

BF:
Progress:

I forgot to mention earlier that I tend to get tired after eating yogurt. Is that good or bad?
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 12:51
Registered Member

Plan: candida diet
Stats: 185/173/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hey Tom. When you go see the Doc I would ask for a stool test to make sure you don't have some type of bacterial overgrowth. I think they can test the level of yeast too. I'm not sure how accurate it is but it wouldn't hurt. They can also test for parasites.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-29-09, 22:20

BF:
Progress:

Thanks justin1984. I'll ask him about it.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-10, 13:49

BF:
Progress:

Hey, KT12. Doesn't most of the sugar in yogurt turn into lactic acid anyway? And doesn't lactic acid kill candida?
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Jan-05-10, 04:46
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Hey, KT12. Doesn't most of the sugar in yogurt turn into lactic acid anyway? And doesn't lactic acid kill candida?

I know that lactic acid results from bacteria breaking down the carbohydrates in milk products such as yogurt, which is what gives natural plain yogurt it's tangy sour flavor. And I do know that Candida cannot survive in an environment that is rich with lactic acid because that kind of environment is too hostile for Candida to grow and proliferate. So it's safe to say there must be some connection between the ingestion of yogurt and the amount of Candida in your body.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Apr-05-10, 19:12

Plan: My own.
Stats: 206/194.4/155 Female 5'6"
BF:27.17%
Progress: 23%

Just in case anyone later reads this, I've manage to down my psyllium by using extra strong herbal tea, mxing it with the immersion blender, and then downing it very quickly.

Prior to those tricks, I usually wound up throwing it back up in the sink while trying to down it...

I'd think ground chia would be a substitute, I don't know that it would be easier to take though...