Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 09:37

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Lisa. One more question...."swelly belly". Any problems with this?

Any suggestions on pre or post op things to make it easier is most welcomed.

I'd sure rather not cause myself problems, if there's anything I can do to help it.

I think I'm having LAVH. I thought it was going to be abdominal, but have sense heard differently, happily. The only thing that is suppose to be being removed is my uterus.

Did you notice your energy level changing any?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 20:14
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by galatia
Thanks Lisa. One more question...."swelly belly". Any problems with this?

Any suggestions on pre or post op things to make it easier is most welcomed.

I'd sure rather not cause myself problems, if there's anything I can do to help it.

I think I'm having LAVH. I thought it was going to be abdominal, but have sense heard differently, happily. The only thing that is suppose to be being removed is my uterus.

Did you notice your energy level changing any?

During recovery or after healing?

I really haven't noticed anything too freaky. I mean I'm 48. I have a bit of pooch that will never go away (in fact, I had the same pooch when I weighed 130) So in my case--nothing that bothers me (OK it bothers me a little and I would love to have it sucked out--but for now....)

My energy levels pretty much stayed the same. No, I take that back--my energy levels increased dramatically because I wasn't bleeding like a stuck pig anymore and my blood counts returned to normal.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 07:18

Plan: low carb
Stats: 173/135.8/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 87%

Thanks Lisa.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Dec-18-08, 22:28

Plan: Meat, Veggies, Nuts
Stats: 181/185/130 Female 61.5
BF:Falling Fluff
Progress: -8%

I had a hyserectomy in 99, a vaginal one, and a bladder lift to. I had to have both, the uterus fell and toook my bladder down and it broke through the vaginal wall, Had that rebuid and after surgery 8 days, I ended up with a blood clot. I kept my ovaries.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-28-10, 23:08

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

My doctor is recommending a hysterectomy because of fibroids, but at age 52 I really don't have strong symptoms (a day of flooding, some bladder pressure). At the moment, maybe on this WOE, or because I'm in perimenopause, the symptoms are much less. I'm not going to do the surgery unless I have to -- mostly because I can't get the recovery time off of work. The insurance will pay for some, but I'll also have heavy out-of-pocket costs. It's a money versus inconvenience issue. If symptoms were worse, I might decide to do it.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-24-10, 14:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 213/200/137 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:
Default to the Hossy for a Hissy

I had some cancer so I had everything removed. Recovery was hard. I had to work at it. As a side effect of surgery I suddenly needed thyroid and metformin [for insulin resistance.] I had a real hard time losing weight. Armour thyroid did not work for me so it took a while to sort that out. The Dr i saw for nutritional support had me off of all grains. Most womens cancers are carb dependent. I had a high protein diet and a personal trainer and lots of vitamins plus instant menopause. I worked very hard and when it was over I just walked away from it. It took a whole year. This was over 10 years ago.
My belly will never be flat. I had a bikini cut but it is not the same. I still take thyroid and metformin. I learned it is important to touch the scar as that helps integrate things physically and emotionally. Skin brushing really helped me. Brush your skin all over with a soft dry brush. This helps with flabby skin too.
I like the guided imagery for successful surgery. Health Journeys.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-25-10, 01:56

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

Since writing in this thread, I don't believe I need to worry about having a hysterectomy. Someone told me that flax seed helped reduce fibroid tumors (the reason my doctor wanted me to have a hysterectomy), so I've been eating it every day (2-4Tablespoons per day). Well, my symptoms are pretty much gone and I'm pretty sure the tumors have shrunk away. So at the moment, I'm not on the road to hysterectomy and I'm dropping my doctor.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, May-16-10, 03:12
Registered Member

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 202/176/158 Female 174 cms
BF:30.5%/28%/25%
Progress: 59%

In 2005 at the age of 53 I had experienced long term bleeding and heavy periods. Diagnosed with endometriosis with no fibroid I was facing a hysterectomy. Asked about a microwave technique for solution and was offered a uterine ablation. Under anesthetic a balloon is inserted into the uterus, filled with saline solution which is super heated and as it takes on the internal shape of the uterus is "burns" the lining. It is deflated and removed and that is it. No more periods. No scars. No bleeding for 4 months! If there are no fibroids or disastrous other conditions I would recommend this!!