Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-06, 07:53
Registered Member

Plan: CALP
Stats: 198/183.5/165 Female 5'8
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Holy cellulite!

Well, I am still plugging away here and doing the Healing plan with no gluten. Can't say I feel like I have lost a thing and my cellulite on my butt and thighs has gotten way worse! Has anyone else had this happen? I feel like my fat cells are getting jam packed LOL I am trying so hard to stay positive and keep reminding myself that I am doing this for my health, but I am starting to feel very self-conscious of my body (especially when naked with my husband). I can't believe that my stomach is still as big as it is with me giving up sugar and wheat (usually I respond rapidly to no sugar in my stomach area!) And has anyone else had to explain to family/friends why they are suddenly gaining a decent amount of weight? I haven't had anyone say anything yet, but I feel it coming with the shorts and tank top weather. I need something to say in return when I get asked. How's "I'm getting fatter to get healthier!" sound? Not too good probably! LOL
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-09-06, 17:33
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein!!
Stats: -/-/- Female 162 cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 1600%

I totally, really, truly feeel your pain. My legs have way worse cellulite now.. and stretch marks on my arms/hips/thighs.. and I just try not to think about it... we talk about this stuffon the "weight gain-your experience" thread, if you're interested in joining us!!!!.

I'm sorry I don't have an answer for you though, all I can say is I'm in the same boat, so you're not alone!!!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 09:33
Registered Member

BF:

Elizlea-
It does help to know that I'm not alone The thing is that I do truly believe what Diane says, but I just wonder how long I can be this overweight. I wish there were more people to talk to who have gone through what we are with gaining weight and then come out lighter afterwards. It seems to me that those people who lost 20 or 30 lbs with TSP never really experienced all this gaining---maybe their bodies were balanced when they started so they just started losing right away??? Then there are all the stories of those who are like us and just keep gaining. I really want it to work because I do think it is the healthiest way to eat.
I even contemplated doing the Carbohydrate Addicts Program to get some of the weight off and then use TSP for maintenance but then I hear Diane's voice in the back of my head saying, "Never eat a protein alone!" LOL

So I saw that you said you gave up all crackers and bread! Good for you! So what do you eat for your carbs? Could you give me a sample day of eating for you? Are you doing gluten or did you give that up? I tried no gluten for a little over a week but didn't see or feel a difference so I don't think I have a problem with it. Thanks for any help!!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-06, 17:20
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

Could you give us a typical day's menu?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 11:48
Registered Member

BF:

m1whowaits-

Sure! Here's my day today with what I have planned to eat for dinner-

Breakfast- 2 hardboiled eggs, 3/4 cup of cream of brown rice (1T cream and 1 pat of butter) and some carrots

Lunch- small salad, grilled salmon fillet, a few spears of broccolini and 1 piece of Eczekial (sp?) sprouted whole grain bread with a pat of butter

Snack- 1 cup of strawberries with 3/4 cup 2% greek yogurt sprinkled with pecans

Dinner- grilled zuchini and red onion on the grill, grilled chicken breast and 1/3 cup cous cous
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From yesterday-

Breakfast- 2 eggs over-easy, 1 piece of Eczekial toast with butter

Lunch- roasted turkey breast sandwhich on 1 piece of bread (onions, lettuce, tomato and real mayo), side ceasar salad (no croutons)

Snack- 5 Ak Mak crackers with chive cream cheese

Dinner- 2 pieces of flank steak, grilled asparagus and 1/2 baked potato with sour cream, butter and chives

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It *feels* like I am doing well, but my jeans were so much tighter today than they were last week! Now I have been getting up and walking every morning (brisk pace for 45 min) so maybe there is muscle under all the fat and that is "bulking" me up???
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 12:02
Plemorphist

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle II
Stats: 150/129/130 Female 5' 5"
BF:??%/??%/ 22%
Progress: 105%

#1 problem I see is if you are giving up wheat the toast is a no-no. Just one piece of that stuff would kill me. Splet would be a better option. The Ak Mak are wheat too. If you have a true gluten sensitivity even the spelt may bother you. It does me.

I use corn tortillas and for a crunchy treat, Nut Thin crackers- Rice and almond flours.

ETA: cous cous is wheat too. sorry.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 15:07
Registered Member

BF:

I kind of went back to doing wheat since I didn't see a difference when I stopped. When you say that it would "kill you", what do you mean? Is it a physical discomfort or do you mean you gain weight? I am asking because I didn't seem to have any reaction to it either way.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-06, 19:10
Registered Member

Plan: Paleo/my own
Stats: 215/220/140 Female 5'8''
BF:
Progress: -7%

I tend to agree I would cut the wheat out altogether and did you check the cream cheese I was reading the packages and it had all kinds of modified food starch ...etc

brown rice in place of couscous
I love the nut thin crackers YUM!!

another thing i find is that anything I want on a sandwich usually makes a great salad
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-13-06, 07:20
Registered Member

BF:

I get my cream cheese at Whole Foods so it's pretty pure I guess I could give up wheat--I just didn't want to if it wasn't an issue for me.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-09-06, 08:14

Plan: The Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 236/234/130 Female 5' 1 3/4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi there,

I'm a newbie and just starting the Schwarzbein program. I can tell you that I work for a Naturopath and we have patients coming in all the time, telling me how well they have done with Schwarzbein. Stick with it. She does state that you can gain in the beginning but that will taper off. One lady said she gained 15 lbs. and then it went the other way.

Hope this helps. Lilly
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jul-10-06, 18:09
Registered Member

Plan: Schwarzbein
Stats: 267/259/220 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default Thanks, Lilly!

Hi Lilly,

Thanks so much for the encouragement! It's great to hear that you work for a Naturopath who believes in the program, and who is getting results for patients with it. Also good to hear that, just like Dr. S says in her books, you may temporarily gain weight but you will eventually lose it (and more) once your system heals.

My Naturopath suggested TSP to me. I found out later that he traveled with her on a speaking tour, and that he's the one whose company supplies Dr. S with the supplements she uses with her patients.

Welcome to the group!

-Don
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jul-11-06, 09:02
Registered Member

Plan: CALP, now Schwarzbein
Stats: 203/143/143 Female 160 cm
BF:56%/22%/22%
Progress: 100%
Default naturopaths and meeting Dr. SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerGuy
My Naturopath suggested TSP to me. I found out later that he traveled with her on a speaking tour, and that he's the one whose company supplies Dr. S with the supplements she uses with her patients.
-Don

You guys in the US are so lucky! Here in Germany people don't even know how to spell Schwarzbein (well, actually they should because it sounds very much like a German name) and as usual I'm the only one doing this program here.

Unfortunately most of my friends can't read English very well but I'm trying to spread the message.

DH and I are going to the US next year and I just would love to meet Dr. S, but that seems to be very difficult or even impossible I've heard. Does anybody have information if and how this could be managed ?(I know there might be lot of costs involved)
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Sep-20-06, 10:38

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/182/154 Female 5"4'
BF:
Progress: 20%

Dr. Atkins is alot easier to spell and alot easier to follow. Dr.S. has discovered what Dr.A discovered over 30years ago. You have to loose the weight first before you can add back carrots, glutten ect. No bread at all. I have been following Dr.A for 30 years. I have read Dr.S. Same stuff. It is just how you take it off first that makes the difference. Your carbs are 1 cup of lettuce, 1 cup of brocolli. I feel amazing. I have returned to induction after a fabulous holiday over doing it on low carbs. I am back in the saddle again and loving every minute of it. I have decided this time that I am not going to weight, I am not going to measure. The mirror and my clothes will tell me when I can add back 5gm of carbs. From experience I know that my body will not tolerate alot of carbs. I rely onthe LCrecipies that are absolutely delicious. I am 52 hears old next month and I am so glad my mother turned me onto LC livng back then. I am really wonderfully healthy and have an amazing life. While so many struggle around me.
Just My thoughts
Loretta
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 00:45

Plan: SSing now Schwarzbein
Stats: 160/142/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33lbs
Dr. Atkins is alot easier to spell and alot easier to follow. Dr.S. has discovered what Dr.A discovered over 30years ago. You have to loose the weight first before you can add back carrots, glutten ect.

Hi, this is my first post but I've been lurking for some time. I'm no expert on the SP, but sorry Loretta, I'm afraid your info here is completely off regarding Dr. Schwarzbein's plan. It has absolutely NOTHING to do with "loosing weight first." Just the opposite. Her theory is that you must be healthy BEFORE you should even attempt to lose weight. Also, she does not advocate giving up any food group. When you say "bread", yes...she says you must give up gluten bread in the first 1-3 months. But most of us may eat any gluten-free grains like brown rice, corn or oats. Carrots are only a problem for those with diabetes and other insulin problems.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-21-06, 16:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/182/154 Female 5"4'
BF:
Progress: 20%

Hi I m sorry I read the info on Dr. S and started reading the posts with everyone frustrated they had gained weight. I must say I havent followed this approach. I am moving nicely with Dr.Atkins but I will keep it in mind for the future. I know all of the above are healthy for you but if I go near any of that stuff not only does it make me gain weight it puts me in a depressed mood my body feels swollen I have no energy and every day is a struggle. You say it gets better. For me it would only escalate to eating more and more of the carbs until I am eating sugar and white flour again. I truely am addicted. I will keep reading.
Thanks for the information
Loretta