Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Thumbs up SOUTH BEACH DIET! (Surf's UP!!!)

All right, all you fellow "Beach Babes" and "Surfer Dudes"! C'mon in, the water's FINE! I know there are lots of "lurkers", members and "SBD curious" who would like their own thread; so let us know! I've been on the plan since 09/15/03 and have lost about thirty pounds so far! I absolutely love this WOE. It is the only program so far that has worked for me because it allows you to eat until you're satisfied and you can incorporate it easily into a total lifestyle change. (I am also learning to cook, LOL!)

It's time for us to have our own thread. It's not just "hype"; the time is ripe -- let's wax up this "board" and catch the wave!

kay, enough of this stuff for now! I'd love to hear from you! Have a wonderful night and stay warm! (carole)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-08-04, 21:33

Plan: First Atkins, now South Beach
Stats: 165/160/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

YAY!!!!

Im on Day 5 of SB's first two week phase and I feel good!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:21

Plan: my own way...
Stats: 300/292/169 Female 72
BF:
Progress: 6%

I am going to be transitioning from Atkins into a modified south beach way of eating! I am so excited we have a place in the forum!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:22
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I am on atkins but congrats on getting your own forum!

MJ
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:23

BF:

I think the creators/mods of this board are very wise to do this because to my knowledge there is no huge forum for SB dieters to post, and with the membership of this place and the number of people following SB it is simply a smart move because it is only a matter of time before someone else does it.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-09-04, 08:36
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

Congratulations on getting your own FORUM area for the South Beachers! (Now if you could figure a way to keep the riff-raff out (me)!)

Regardless, what food plan anyone follows here is wishing you all success and health!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 10:58

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/187/150 Female 5'0
BF:
Progress: 65%

I have seen a few posts from South Beachers saying that they feel it is a more "healthy" diet than Atkins. The reasons for that seem to be that SB discourages red meat (for saturated fat), allows more fruit and whole grains, which some people apparently feel they need or feel "healthier" when including them in their diet. Would those of you switching to or following SB agree these are the things that appeal to you about SB?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 13:13

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest
I have seen a few posts from South Beachers saying that they feel it is a more "healthy" diet than Atkins. The reasons for that seem to be that SB discourages red meat (for saturated fat), allows more fruit and whole grains, which some people apparently feel they need or feel "healthier" when including them in their diet. Would those of you switching to or following SB agree these are the things that appeal to you about SB?

I would agree somewhat. For me, it took me years to eliminate some of the foods that Atkins encourages. I just have no desire to go back, and on Atkins suddenly I had this ravenous urge for high fat meats and cheeses. Now I dont really care to debate whether or not saturated fats are ok or not, I just dont want to be eating that much bacon, eggs, cheese etc. I get plenty of cheese on SB and I also like whole wheat bread sooner than Atkins allows and the fruit and vegetable options are important too. It just works better with the eating goals I have had for myself, considering both health as well as weight.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-11-04, 20:23
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 110/102/98 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 67%

Would those of you switching to or following SB agree these are the things that appeal to you about SB?
-----------------------------------------------

I still eat read meat but try to get leaner cuts. I really like the diet because I feel energized on it. More than anything I can eat like this forever and not feel like I'm on a diet, while my bf who needs to lose 150lbs. can eat the same things that I'm cooking and lose weight. When he was on atkins I had to cook 2 different meals for dinner... and when I joined him on atkins to be supportive...I couldn't handle it.

It's very hard to grow up on Japanese cuisine and then to cut out all rice, not eat certain veggies, and stop eating fruit. I think the people who really enjoy atkins seem to be more the good ol' american type eaters. I'm a sissy californian-japanese girl who loves fresh fruits and veggies and dont' like creamy and meaty dishes.... SBD is a perfect balance for our household.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-12-04, 10:33
Registered Member

Plan: The South Beach Diet
Stats: 192.0/168.5/142.0 Female 64 inches
BF:39%/36%/25%
Progress: 47%
Default Instead of rice or potatoes, restaurants, etc.

Hi, Everyone! Not quite "beach" weather here in Boston (except in my HEAD, that is). Lost 2 lbs. back on Phase I of SBD last week, despite going off plan a bit on Saturday and Sunday. Started working out again, too.

I've found that most restaurants are very accommodating when you tell them you are on a low carb diet. For example, I was at a restaurant last night and the choice was grilled mahi-mahi (fish) with some kind of rice. I just told them I was on low carb so could I have vegetables instead and they brought me a large serving of steamed broccoli! It was great! I sympathize with the lady from California who is used to Japanese food with lots of rice. I am used to lots of rice too (Middle Eastern and Greek cooking) and I hated to give it up. I'm fairly used to it now, though, mainly because I LOVE vegetables! Lots of places will give you a side salad instead of potatoes or rice also. It's been working out fine so far.

Have a great day, all! (carole)