Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Triple Digits Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241.5/236.75/140
BF:
Progress: 5%
Unhappy Please tell me it get easier...

Hi all,

I am on day two, and much to my shame I just ate a packet of splenda , just so I could have the taste of sweet in my mouth. I feel like I have lost my mind. I hear everyone say that the cravings go away, but it was hard enough to kick caffeine, this seems so impossible.

I wince at the thought of never having a peice of chocolate cake any more, and I nearly cried when a co-worker brought in homemade banana bread this morning. I turned it down, I know my own strength, I know can do this, and most of me wants to. I am tired of resembling the potatoes I have so dearly loved, but part of me feels that if I can never have cake again, is it all worth it?

Here's hoping for strength .
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:23

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Yes, it does get easier. You can't break an addiction in two days People's experience varies. I didn't suffer from those kinds of cravings, so I can't help there, but I hope others that did will join in.

It is hard at first. My road has certainly not been smooth. I was a pure carb eater -- my diet was bread-centered. Part of it is changing habits, I think. I resented having to be so conscious of everything I ate. But every change is positive and it DOES get easier. If you want to lose weight, you will do this.

As for never eating another chocolate again? It depends. Many people here have a "day off," either because of stress or holidays or whatever, and then get back on track easily. Many lose their taste for sweets (yes!) and others lose weight and include MILD indulgences of sweets in their maintenance plans. But if you are a true sugar addict, that may not be a good idea.

We have to change our lifestyles and our eating habits, because otherwise, there is no hope of not being fat.

What you can do.

1. Make lists of low carb foods that you really really like. Remember that butter is allowed, as is salad dressing. You can keep the skin on the chicken and eat the fat on the beef. I make lists of meals so that I have something to draw on when I can't think of what I want to eat.

2. Keep low carb snacks around and get rid of any high carb snacks so that you have no excuse to take the easy way out when stress or hunger strikes.

3. Make sure you eat enough, 10 to 12 times your weight in calories. If you're well fed with good food, the chocolate may call your name, but you'll have the strength to say no.

Good luck. Be sure to check the links that Karen has put on the Newbies thread. There's lots of good info there.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 12:26

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Rochenne, sounds like you're in the throws of detox and that you have a definite addiction to carbs. The answer to your question is yes, and no. The cravings do lessen, your tastes do change over time. But addiction to carbs isnt any different than any other addiction.

Theres a great post by Karen you should take a look at : http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ction+AND+sugar I think it will put some things in perspective for you.

Hang in there and keep posting - and keep good LC foods around you - it is easier to resist temptation when you are not hungry.

Nat
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:01

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default 2 cents from me

Hi!

You do not know me, but I can say truthfully that it does get better. The cravings are the strongest or most powerful in the very first few days -- but sometimes they sneak back up on you.

Suggestions:

I have the cleanest, brightest teeth in North America!!! LOL
I carry a travel toothbrush/paste with me in my purse, in my briefcase and I have one in the lower bathroom (near the kitchen) and also another one in the kitchen pantry. I brush my teeth when I can not curb the craving myself. I find the "minty fresh" feeling very refreshing and why gulp up your smile.
(My talking to myself!!.)

You can take a supplement for curbing L-Glut. when the craving hits - that is up to you.

Check out the snacks section and just have those available when you get the attacks of the craves or just get yourself a glass of ice cold water w/slice of lemon.

It takes 21 days to learn a habit -- 90 days to change it!!

Good luck,

A Thin Me!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 13:36

Plan: Careful Low Carb Plan
Stats: 335/295/180 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 26%
Wink It does get easier.

Rochenne,
I know it's hard at first. I used to eat peanut butter on celery just to taste something sweet. Make sure it doesn't have added sugar in it or hydrogenized oil. I like to eat nuts when I need to snack. And there are some fruits you can eat that are lower in carbs, such as berries and melons. I think the longer you do this, the easier it gets. But I remember feeling pretty frantic the first week. Also, remember to drink your water---more than you normally would drink. It takes a few days for your body to change from getting it's energy from carbs to getting it's energy from protein. But your body does adjust. Make sure you eat lots of vegies along with eggs and meat. I like to make big fluffy salads and then make sure I have at least 15 grams of protein per meal. Soon, you will crave salads instead of sweets...Truly. Keep going, it does get better. Victoria
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-02, 14:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/299.5/150
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi Rochenne,

I'm on week 2 of induction. This is where I usually lose it, But this time around I'm doing quite well. I think it may be all the support I get here. Yes, it does get easier. What helps me is I eat something else I really like that's not allowed on other diets. Like a cheese omlet with bacon! Who ever thought you could eat that and lose? That's what I keep telling myself. I try to appreciate the wonderful things I CAN eat, and not dwell on what I can't. But, when that fails, there's always sugar free jello and whipped cream!

good luck,

cimart
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 19:07

Plan: Atkins hybrid
Stats: 300/273/150
BF:
Progress: 18%

Never never never feel ashamed of what you've eaten in a day! Low carbing isn't about guilt, it's about reworking your habits, metabolism, and body... and that takes tiiiiiiime.

If it's any consolation, many many people have a hard time during induction, and restart two, three, four times before it sticks. Heck, the first time I wanted to do Atkins, I spent an entire month on CAD instead because I kept cheating! When I finally did get an induction to stick, I found days two and three to be the worst for sugar cravings. You're not alone.

Everybody falls off the wagon sometimes. It's important to jump right back on. Just because you goofed and ate an unwanted carb today, doesn't mean you have to do it tomorrow or any other day. Good luck.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 23:34

Plan: Protien Power
Stats: 327/298/227
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Keep on keeping on

Hang in there:

It has been 3 Months & 10 Days ( whos counting ), and I can honestly say my cravings are 99% less than at first.

My biggest challange today is to eat enough food, can you believe it ?, I over ate 24/7 / 365 and now, I have to try and eat enough.

What a trip... hang in " one day at a time".. it gets better