Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: Best results on Low-Carb for Post-Menopause
Should you eat cheese? 5 83.33%
Should you have no cheese? 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-18-18, 19:39
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 124/122/113 Female 62 "
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default I am 4 years post Menopause

I have just started low-carb diet. All post-menopause women please give me your advise! I have not lost much weight after 2 weeks. I see sudden increase of hot flashes. I need to loose about 10lb. Thank you for your help
(Prior to that i only used Shangri La Diet)
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 13:28

Stats: 168/128/130 Female 5.3
BF:
Progress: 105%

I eat cheese more like a condiment just enough for added flavor not enough for a cal. bomb
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 15:37

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

Stop eating dairy for a while and see if it makes a difference. If you feel better/lose weight more easily, then stay away from it or minimize it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jan-23-18, 17:43

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb712
Stop eating dairy for a while and see if it makes a difference. If you feel better/lose weight more easily, then stay away from it or minimize it.
Excellent advice. I cannot eat dairy proteins (they cause me cravings, hunger, itchy eyes, and are insulinogenic and caused me to hold on to those last 15 lbs of fat) but others have no problems with them. Going without for 30 days is the best way to tell if or how dairy affects you.

Incidentally, I never had any symptoms of menopause or peri-menopause when I was eating vLC with no dairy. Years later I started eating a lot of cheese and had night sweats, that stopped when I got rid of the dairy proteins, especially milk products with added "casein" or "milk solids", which have a higher than average insulin index:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...-and-net-carbs/

Last edited by deirdra : Wed, Jan-24-18 at 08:36.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 06:10
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you all who responded.
I think i will try to avoid cheese for a while. Sadly cheese is one of my favorite things. I am in ketosis, according to ketones testing strips,yet i do not seem to lose any weight. I imagine that cheese is the reason
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 15:08
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Excellent advice. I cannot eat dairy proteins (they cause me cravings, hunger, itchy eyes, and are insulinogenic and caused me to hold on to those last 15 lbs of fat) but others have no problems with them. Going without for 30 days is the best way to tell if or how dairy affects you.

Incidentally, I never had any symptoms of menopause or peri-menopause when I was eating vLC with no dairy. Years later I started eating a lot of cheese and had night sweats, that stopped when I got rid of the dairy proteins, especially milk products with added "casein" or "milk solids", which have a higher than average insulin index:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/201...-and-net-carbs/

Deirdra,
I have never had problem with dairy. I only eat hard cheeses like cheddar, and aged cheeses like Brie. I also add heavy cream to my coffee. I added cheese for the sake of fat. I am not sure what to replace it with. What is your primary source of fat?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 20:40

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

My primary sources of fat are in meat/fish/poultry, nuts & mayonnaise, olive oil & coconut oil. I do have up to 2T of butter or ghee each day since there is only a trace of dairy protein.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-18, 21:18
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dairy fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
My primary sources of fat are in meat/fish/poultry, nuts & mayonnaise, olive oil & coconut oil. I do have up to 2T of butter or ghee each day since there is only a trace of dairy protein.

I use olive oil and coconut oil every day.
I will try to use more of them and will add butter.
Thank you for your suggestions
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Feb-03-18, 09:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

I do coconut oil in coffee.
and i believe what i have read about hot flashes increasing during low-carb weight loss -- your body may be reacting to teh estrogen that is being released from fat cells. Each time this year that I have lost a few pounds between stalls, i have had 5 - 6 hot flashes throughout the night. When i am stalled, not so much.
So now, when i have hot flashes I embrace them as being indicative of fat loss...although it can take a long time for it to show up on the scale.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-04-18, 09:54
Registered Member

BF:

Blue Ruby
That is very interesting. I noticed hot flashes too. I guess i should not be annoyed but grateful
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 17:17

Plan: Keto
Stats: 148/146/133 Female 5'4
BF:36%/23/?
Progress: 13%

Avoid artificial sweeteners, or even Stevia. They all cause issues for me and when I first went on induction years ago, nothing happened until I got rid of them, then all of a sudden scale kept moving. I hit goal years ago, kept it off for years than gained back last year bc I got sloppy -literally only 2-3 servings of non sugary carbs (ie sweet potato, brown rice pasta) a week was all it took to gain 15 pounds. I am now older (49) so I haven't lost anything either going Keto so will be interested to see the what ends up working for you.

Going without dairy could take me to a dark place!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Feb-07-18, 18:05
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Cleveland
I am slowly moving now, although i discovered that i have kidney stones just yesterday. I do not know if it is related to Atkins or not. (Teaser thinks it may be) I still eat cheese, because i just cannot find anything good to substitute. As far as sweeteners- I have 1 small spoon of Xylitol with my coffee in the morning.
I have used Xylitol for years and never had any cravings.
I am having difficulty with regularity so i take Psyllim capsules.
My Atkins diet is modified a bit. I still have wine with dinner, however now wine does not trigger cravings anymore.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 13:56

Stats: 162/137/135 Female 5'4”
BF:
Progress: 93%

I use Source Naturals Estrogen & Progesterone cream - you just rub on a little per day. It has helped with the hot flashes tremendously! Paxil is what derails my weight loss.....I gained 15 pounds in the past year on it. Hence.....here I am after years gone from the forum.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Feb-10-18, 14:29
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I think it's important to remember that every BODY is different and responds uniquely to our food and environment. Also to medications.

Against what practically everybody says, I continue to take estrogen and have for the past 30 years. I have no uterus, no cervix, but both ovaries. I'm 72 and in perfect health. Through this way of eating, I'm at normal weight.

I have to watch how much dairy and nuts I consume. Also, since I don't have a lot of extra fat to burn, the fat I eat is used for my daily body maintenance. If I eat too much, I can gain.