Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 07:50

Plan: No white stuff!
Stats: 189/144/140 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 92%
Default Cardio/weight training question

Hello everyone! I have heard so many different opinions on how often and when to do what so I thought I would ask some experts! I have been stalled at 175 for the past 3 months and I am starting to wonder if I am doing something wrong. I was on a 1200 calorie diet and stuck to it religiously until I stalled and a trainer told me to eat more calories- so I bumped it up to 1350. No change in measurements or weight with that change. So last week I decided I would try low-carb again. (I did very well with this several years ago even when I wasn't working out, but of course changed how I was eating and gained it back!) I guess my main question is- how often should I do cardio and weight training? For the past few months I have been doing the elliptical on easy intervals for 30 minutes 4-5 days a week and alternate upper and lower body weights on those same days. Is this the way to do things? Should I be doing different cardio exercises? HELP!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 08:26

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I'm not a fan of the elliptical. Why don't you just run?
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 10:02

BF:

I can't run due to my knees and back issues...the elliptical is the easiest for my body.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 10:18

BF:

There are other cardio exercises which also build strength, like flipping tires or battling ropes. They are great if your gym has them!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 12:09

BF:

Thanks Jschwab....should I be doing cardio and weights on the same days or alternate them do you know?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 13:33

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos2011
Thanks Jschwab....should I be doing cardio and weights on the same days or alternate them do you know?

I kind of wonder if you would do better by doing them on the same days, but taking more restful days in between to recharge and repair? That is probably what I would do. I do shorter cardio sessions on the same days I do weights to warm up, but I also try to make my strength training a cardio workout, too.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 13:39

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Research HIIT-I find a program with weights and HIIT to be the most effective for me.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Apr-26-11, 13:40

BF:

Thanks for your help!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 05:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I am not an expert but just to confirm:

You are 5'4" and have not lost weight on 1200 calories per day while doing low intensity cardio 30 min x 4 days per week. Trainer suggests eating more - probably suspecting your body is in "survival mode".

I suggest low-carb (with food diary), daily low intensity cardio (walk, cycle, elliptical) for 60 minutes, and get your thyroid function checked.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 08:36

BF:

Thanks Mike...I started low carb Tuesday the 19th and since then I have lost 4 pounds. I know that diet is what's best for me, not only because it makes me feel better, but I lose weight easier. Do you know if I should be doing cardio and weights on the same day or if I should be alternating?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Apr-29-11, 11:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/170/155 Male 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I suggest doing as much as your schedule allows.

For example, if you can walk for an hour every evening after dinner then by all means do it. If you can walk for an hour every morning before breakfast then by all means do it. If you can do both, even better!

Strength training usually requires a rest day between sessions training the same body part. In other words, don't do squats 2 days in a row. However, if you break up the routine properly you could do strength training every day - legs MWF, chest/back TThS, etc. For injury prevention, do at least 10 minutes of cardio as a warm up.

Assuming you have the diet right (low carb) and no other issues (like thyroid) - have a good look at your schedule and see when you can make time for exercise. Lots of folks have been very successful with morning, fasted, low intensity, steady state cardio - in other words, going for a hour morning walk on an empty stomach. Add another walk after dinner and you have 2 waking hours that your are burning fat (walking) and not eating. To develop physique, improve shape, add definition (and whatever else you want to call it) most folks need to do strength training.

Although there is quite a bit of controversy, be careful with exercise as it might make you hungry and crave carbs. People seem to be quite different so you have to figure out what works for you.

Finally, remember that sustained weight loss of 1% per week is reasonable but 2% is hard to do.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-02-11, 23:16
Registered Member

Plan: low carb
Stats: 141/141/122 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 0%

You can do cardio and weights on the same day if you want. I think you just can not work the same group of muscles (biceps for example) 2 days in a row.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-03-11, 07:16

BF:

Thanks Mike and Rebecca! And Lisa- I researched HIIT and started doing that Friday and WOW...talk about a different feeling after your cardio session. LOVE IT! I am doing it on the elliptical.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 01:00
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/245/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amos2011

My trainer has me do both on same day. Make sure to do the weights BEFORE the cardio, not the other way around. Very important.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jul-14-11, 10:42

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I like Mark Sisson's approach on how to structure the different kind of workouts. Easy movement every day, strength training 2x per week, all-out sprints once a week. That way, you get much better improvements in the strength and sprint areas, and your easy days double up as recovery for the hard days.

Primal Blueprint Workout Plan Basics

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/prim...ut-plan-basics/