Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 13:47

Plan: 75%Fat. 20%Prot. 5%Carbs
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Unhappy Please tell me if I'm doing right

I'm trying to "create" my own diet after I read a lot about low-carbing.
For induction I keep my net carbs below 50 grams. I really can't have only 20 grams. I take all my carbs from veggies and sometimes from nuts.

Although I read about people who don't know how to add more fat in theirs diet, I am concerned maybe mine is a little high.
I have days with fat/protein/carb ratio like this: 60/30/10 (approximately). I have days with my caloric intake below 1000 calories because I have no time for myself; and I have days with 2300 calories because I am hungry. It really confuses me.

My big problem is this days I'm in that period of the month, you know girls, and I'm kinda hungry (I don't want to be a pretext).
So today I had 2350 calories, 66% fat (178 grams total. 70 grams saturated, 80 grams monounsaturated, and the rest polyunsaturated), 26% protein (160 grams) and 8% carbs (50 grams total - 16 grams fiber = 34 grams net carbs).

I'm really terrified. It's my fat level too high for the carb and protein intake?

I started this low-carb diet on 28 september (only 12 days ago) and my scale says I haven't lost any pound (urgh!), but my belt says I have lost a little (hurray!). It's a little frustrating.

Am I doing right? Are there any mistakes?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-09, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

what is your body telling you?
what kind of signals are you getting?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 04:23

BF:

Well, I'm not trying to get into Ketogenesis. In my country I can't find ketosticks to verify. My breath doesn't smell ugly - coz I've read this is a sign of ketogenesis. I want to find a proper way for me to lose weight and maintain it.

I haven't lost any pound on the scale, but my face is thinner and my clothes are little loose. My skin is no longer dry.

I have some cravings but I face them. Usually I want chocolate , so I add 1 teaspoon of cocoa powder (unsweetened, with 13% fat) in my coffee and I have "hot chocolate".
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 04:28
Registered Member

so your body is telling you that it wants carbs and wants to snack...
you don't think you're in ketosis because you don't have the metallic breath.
why don't you give it a few days and see if your body wants to still cheat, albeit that you're eating on your plan and following your rules of induction.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 04:46

BF:

I don't want to gain weight, this is my fear! I want to lose weight, this is my biggest wish!
Thanks PilotGal , I'm gonna keep this plan to see what happens because I know that if I leave it I will SURELY gain weight.
I started this threat because any answer would help, of course.

edit:
I see that you're on Maintenance. You really don't have cravings from time to time? Or you just accustomed with them?
A life without cravings... Wow, a dream.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 05:01
Registered Member

when you eat only meat, you no longer have cravings....
cravings are from carb eating..
when you allow carbs into your eating plan, you risk daily/hourly temptation of carbs making you want to eat something you shouldn't be eating..

the trick is to eliminate un-needed food sources, get healthy, get skinny, feel fantastic... (maybe you should follow the link in my signature "ZC thread" and read how people are getting skinny, not craving foods and getting really, really healthy!!)
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Oct-10-09, 10:56

Plan: Mine, all mine
Stats: 160/120/120 Female 5'6"
BF:still got some
Progress: 100%

if you're not gaining, give it more time.
you haven't been at it for long enough for a real evaluation and it can take quite a while before cravings really diminish. BUT if you keep what you crave, you're not giving yourself a chance.

even if you calories are not the in the same range daily, you should be fine if you stay low carb. just don't get the idea that low calorie is better.

you're fat ratios are also good.
you might look up Barry Groves...he has similar ratios.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 02:22

BF:

Thank you for answers.

I'm really thinking at diminishing the carbohydrate level. I know I don't have more than 35g (net) daily, and sometimes below 20g. But no more nuts, cocoa powder or cereal coffee (i think this was my biggest mistake till I read the nutritional information).
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 08:29
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Quote:
Originally Posted by great_dane
I'm trying to "create" my own diet after I read a lot about low-carbing.
For induction I keep my net carbs below 50 grams. I really can't have only 20 grams. I take all my carbs from veggies and sometimes from nuts.

Although I read about people who don't know how to add more fat in theirs diet, I am concerned maybe mine is a little high.
I have days with fat/protein/carb ratio like this: 60/30/10 (approximately). I have days with my caloric intake below 1000 calories because I have no time for myself; and I have days with 2300 calories because I am hungry. It really confuses me.

My big problem is this days I'm in that period of the month, you know girls, and I'm kinda hungry (I don't want to be a pretext).
So today I had 2350 calories, 66% fat (178 grams total. 70 grams saturated, 80 grams monounsaturated, and the rest polyunsaturated), 26% protein (160 grams) and 8% carbs (50 grams total - 16 grams fiber = 34 grams net carbs).

I'm really terrified. It's my fat level too high for the carb and protein intake?

I started this low-carb diet on 28 september (only 12 days ago) and my scale says I haven't lost any pound (urgh!), but my belt says I have lost a little (hurray!). It's a little frustrating.

Am I doing right? Are there any mistakes?

If it helps, this sounds exactly like me. This is how I eat from day to day. Some days hungry days--2300 calories. Some days not so hungry days or busy at the hospital--1000 calories. Carbs average about 30-50 net. Fat about 55-70% depending on the day.

Go by the belt not the scale. Be patient and let the magic happen. One thing I would say though....If after a reasonable amount of time things are not moving in the right direction, consider following a written plan until you are well-versed on the carbohydrate controlled lifestyle. Think about it---it's like trying to drive somewhere that you've never been--you might get there eventually, but with a lot of wrong turns and misdirection, with a map you get all the directions and can get to your destination easier.

JMO

Lisa
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-12-09, 12:26

BF:

Oh, thanks, Lisa!