Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 17:34

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
Bat Spit, do drop the batter in your brownie recipe on a cookie sheet? Or pour it into a pan like normal brownies?

I've done them as drop biscuits (on silicon or parchment) and I did my latest batch in my silicon mini-muffin tin. I'll do them that way from now on. They might do ok in a pan. The texture is more like a chocolate muffin than a dense chewy brownie, but they're moist and chocolaty and have a nice bread-y texture, so 'brownies' they are.

For extra decadence slice in half and spread one side with a little SF jam. I really really like strawberry. I had to do something with the tail end of the last batch because they were getting a little stale! It makes quite a lot. I did a half batch today and that was a better amount. The doubled egg didn't make any difference, but don't use 'natural' cocoa, it needs the bite from Dutch.

For valentines I'm going to put chopped frozen dark cherries in half a batch for my DH who loves cherries best. Should keep us away from the endless chocolate displays.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Jan-30-08, 17:40
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had a "chocolate pate" at a restaurant once. It had the texture of a chocolate flourless cake but was made with cherries incorporated into it. It was wonderful.... I'm sure it could be made low carb.

If my gut weren't so touchy I'd be experimenting with totally low carb flourless chocolate cake recipes like that.
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 23:15
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
Today was baking day.

Here's my 'brownie' recipe, finally. I'm very pleased with it. I think it might be good with honey to be more paleoish, but I bet date sugar or maple sugar would be better with the chocolate.

21/4 c almond flour (or, 50-50 with hazelnut flour)
56g cold lard (much easier to weigh this out.) Butter would probably work ok, but has to be very cold. I'm not sure ghee has enough structure.
1tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 c powdered egg white
1/2 c less 1T dutch cocoa powder
1 whole egg
9 drops sweetzfree or other sweetener
2T macadamia nut oil or other neutral liquid oil
1T vanilla
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp butter extract (if not using real butter)
Water

Cut cold fat into flour, add dry ingredients, mix well.
Separately beat egg and other wet ingredients. Add to dry ingredients.
Add cold water by T until you have a nice glopy batter. It should be wet, but hold its shape if dropped on a cookie sheet. Probably 2-5 T depending on a lot of variables.

Bake at 400 for 11 mins.

These sound great. What is the texture like?

I made a delish buttercream frosting with my magic bullet. It's better than the real thing.

Dark Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

Makes a little more than 1/4 cup

Ingredients:
*1/4 cup hazelnuts
2-3 teaspoons Hershey's special dark cocoa powder
1 teaspoon sweetener (I use powdered xylitol)
packet or liquid stevia (I used a squirt of english toffee Sweetleaf and a packet of Steviaplus)
**couple chunks of coconut cream

Prep:
Blend nuts into smooth nut butter. Add cocoa powder and sweeteners, blending again until smooth. Add chunks of coconut cream until lighter in color and creamy in consistency. Use immediately on a LC treat or eat with a spoon!

*Any type of lc nut would work. Macadamia nuts would be great too!
**Refrigerate your canned coconut milk and take out the hard chunks of cream from the clear liquid

Carb Count: 5g w/fiber and xylitol subtracted
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 07:35

BF:

Quote:
The texture is more like a chocolate muffin than a dense chewy brownie, but they're moist and chocolaty and have a nice bread-y texture, so 'brownies' they are.

Here's another frosting idea. Get a jar of Artisana Coconut Butter. Heat until soft and add melted baking chocolate, a smidge of vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Mix and let cool. It has a perfect frosting texture.

I use 1bar minus 3 rows of Green and Blacks baking bar to one jar of coconut butter.

It would also make a lovely truffle substitute. Once cool it could probably make into ball shapes very well to be rolled in coconut or something. It seems to hold its shape pretty well at cool room temperature.
  #50   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 08:48

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:

Oh no Bat, that coconut butter idea is dangerous! I happen to have half a jar of it sitting in my pantry...
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 08:59
Experimenter

BF:

Sounds very dangerous indeed! How many oz in one of those jars of cocoa butter?

I wonder if my gut would be ok with cocoa butter? It sure doesn't like chocolate right now.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 11:03
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bat Spit
The texture is more like a chocolate muffin than a dense chewy brownie, but they're moist and chocolaty and have a nice bread-y texture

Darn. They sound tasty, but I really miss chewy baked stuff on this WOE. Everything I make with nut meals always turns out like a quick bread! Anybody have a tried and true recipe with chewy gooiness?

Those Artisana butters look great. How's the carb count?

Speaking of bread, here's an awesome quick bread made with flax. You can make it sweet or savory depending on what spices and nuts you use. I just made some with brazil nuts and raw sunflower seeds (they turned an unappetizing green color after baking, who knew?).

spongebob's flaxmeal bread (tweaked)

dry
===
2c golden flaxmeal
1/2c nut meal
1/2c nuts/etc. *
2T sweetener (erythritol, xylitol, etc.)
1t aluminum-free baking powder
1t baking soda
1/4t sea salt

*chopped almonds, pecans, unsweetened coconut, sunflower seeds, etc.

wet
===
5 eggs (beaten)
8T coconut or almond milk
5T oil (I like mac nut oil)

pre-heat oven to 350F

Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl, then in a separate bowl, mix all wet ingredients. Fold dry ingredients into wet and mix well.

Immediately transfer batter to parchment paper lined loaf dish. Bake at 350F for 40-45min. or until it passes the knife/toothpick/etc. test.

Cool before slicing. Store in the refrigerator.

Carb count depends on the add-ins, but it's quite low.

Last edited by lcstudent : Wed, Feb-13-08 at 11:22.
  #53   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 11:36

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

Some of these recipes look good!

What's hard is finding time to experiment with LC baking when I'm homeschooling a child who loves sugar- if she's helping me bake, chances are we're making something with real sugar in it. (She doesn't like the taste of stevia and none of us tolerate the other artificial sweeteners.) And if she's not helping me bake, how will I have any time to bake at all?
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 15:10

BF:

Quote:
Oh no Bat, that coconut butter idea is dangerous! I happen to have half a jar of it sitting in my pantry...

<insert gloating maniacal laugh here>

Quote:
Sounds very dangerous indeed! How many oz in one of those jars of cocoa butter?

Not cocoa butter, coconut butter. Both tasty but very different.

My jar is 16oz and seems to be 1 carb per T after fiber is subtracted. Even with the added chocolate I never notice any effect on my blood sugar and I'm pretty sensitive.

I'm ordering some Walden Farms blueberry spread and some cocoa butter. I'm going to experiment with mixing that and adding it to the coconut instead of chocolate.

Quote:
Anybody have a tried and true recipe with chewy gooiness?

Not quite gooey, but I've gotten the best texture match out of the coconut-almond cookie recipe already posted. All of my non-paleo friends adore those cookies.

I have noticed that if I bake them in muffin tins with butter instead of lard, I get a much denser result. I made a batch with maple sugar and butter with dried blueberries and they had the best chewy texture I've gotten out of anything so far. Adding xanthan might help too. I haven't been concentrating on that texture so I haven't taken my experiments in that direction. Worth giving a try. Even if they don't come out how you like, they'll still be tasty.

The 'frosting' texture is perfect if you miss things like fudge. It has just the right tooth scraping chew to it.
  #55   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 15:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I did some baking today. First I tried to make some LC meringues, so I separated an egg, poured into a bowl. Separated a 2nd egg and the yolk broke, so I decided to make a smaller batch of meringues and save the other egg and a half for something else.

So I whip up the egg white, cream of tarter, and some stevia for a while. It's getting fluffy, but the taste isnt' quite right. So I decided to add some cocoa powder to the mixture. I do so, and the whole thing falls flat. At this point, I decided to just make cookies, so I added the other egg and a half, some cinnamon, then some almond meal, and finally some coconut oil until it had a nice "cookie batter" consistency. I baked them at 350 until they smelled done.

They were "ok". Much of the coconut oil leaked out of the cookies during baking- most likely it melted before the dough started to really cook. I think I'll try baking these at 425 instead of 350 the next time I make them.
  #56   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-08, 15:36
Experimenter

BF:

Meringues low carb style are usually a disappointment. The sugar is a big part of making meringues crunchy and lofty and making the crystalline structures that just make it all work. I'm thinking with some less paleo ingredients like eryrithitol and polydextrose(PDX) one *might* be able to do it.

I really should try it. I have both ingredients on hand and I love meringues!
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 01:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 134/114.4/100 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Does anyone eat creamed coconut? You know the stuff that looks a bit like a bar of soap?

I can't get enough of the stuff!! Well, I can't get enough of coconut in general!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-08, 09:46
Experimenter

BF:

I am definitely going to have to order some. I doubt I could find it in a store.
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-08, 17:05

Plan: Intermittent Fasting, LC
Stats: 242/215/130 Female 5'7.5"
BF:too/dang/much
Progress: 24%

Here's a site with paleo recipes.

http://www.paleofood.com/

Some of the crusts will work out for me as I don't use the carbquick that's used in so many things. I'll have to see how I feel about figs.. It seems to be a common ingredient.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Feb-20-08, 15:23
Experimenter

BF:

New treat...

Hot coconut milk with a drop of sweetener. WOW! I think I like this better than when I added cocoa powder.