Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#346   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 15:36

Plan: VLC
Stats: 295/220/160 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 56%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoeat
fryless chicken wings
***I substituted Canola oil for butter

I've seen a few recipes where the wings are boiled/steamed then cooled and baked. I'll have to give it a try, I don't recall ever having had them that way. I'll stick with the butter though; if anything I think the animal fat will be still be preferable to canola - even if neither are technically "paleo". If I were to use a vegetable based fat - I think coconut would work nicely to give the final coating that same kind of creaminess. I agree on the hotsauce as well, some hot pepper from time to time is good you, if for no other reason than the endorphin release after the mortification by burning.
Sponsored Links
  #347   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 16:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleoeat
see page 22 post # 322 of this thread
Excellent! thanks - I probably cut the onions down quite a bit - just to reduce the carbiness, but when I was at the store I just found a pack of nice looking tripe that was reduced to $1.50 but still had a couple of days left on the best before -I'll give it a try.
  #348   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 18:05

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Frankly: google a recipe for Andouillette. It's a traditional Parisian tripe sausage that is absolutely delicious. I'm squeemish about the texture of tripe, but in a sausage it's incredible. One of the best meals of my life.

Where do you guys buy this stuff? Do you special order it from the butcher? The stores around here don't carry anything other than the standard cuts of meat. And I'm in northern Colorado! Land of beef and lamb.
  #349   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 20:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike2work
Frankly: google a recipe for Andouillette. It's a traditional Parisian tripe sausage that is absolutely delicious. I'm squeemish about the texture of tripe, but in a sausage it's incredible. One of the best meals of my life.

Where do you guys buy this stuff? Do you special order it from the butcher? The stores around here don't carry anything other than the standard cuts of meat. And I'm in northern Colorado! Land of beef and lamb.

Thanks for the recommend; I'll check it out. There are a couple of farmer's markets near me that consistently have rarities like offal, goose eggs and chicken feet. But I'll often find heart, kidney, tripe, tongue, feet/hocks, tails, etc. in the regular supermarkets in Ontario. The other great places are the Asian markets, where you can find things like silky black chickens and all manner of offal including lung (I have no idea what to do with lung, but it's on the someday list).
  #350   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 22:23

Plan: Weston A. Price, GFCF
Stats: 165/133/132 Male 5' 5"
BF:?/12.7%/?
Progress: 97%

Does anyone have that book by Fergus Henderson, "The Whole Beast - Nose to Tail Eating?" I'm curious about it but I'm still working through Ruhlman & Polcyn.
  #351   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 22:25

Plan: life without bread
Stats: 150/130/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I have a traditional Italian cookbook called The Silver Spoon that has a few lung recipes. The lungs are called "lights" for some reason. Anyway, thought that tidbit might be helpful if you ever plan to research lung recipes to try out.
  #352   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 23:47

Plan: ZC carnivore
Stats: 220/194.5/180 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee
Does anyone have that book by Fergus Henderson, "The Whole Beast - Nose to Tail Eating?" I'm curious about it but I'm still working through Ruhlman & Polcyn.

I just got a copy from Amazon.com!
  #353   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 23:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankly
Excellent! thanks - I probably cut the onions down quite a bit - just to reduce the carbiness, but when I was at the store I just found a pack of nice looking tripe that was reduced to $1.50 but still had a couple of days left on the best before -I'll give it a try.

It costs about $5/lb around here!
  #354   ^
Old Sat, Mar-07-09, 23:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by capmikee

No, but I flipped through "Everything but the Squeal: Eating the Whole Hog in Northern Spain by John Barlow" the other day - it looked promising.
  #355   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 00:00

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallyn
I have a traditional Italian cookbook called The Silver Spoon that has a few lung recipes. The lungs are called "lights" for some reason. Anyway, thought that tidbit might be helpful if you ever plan to research lung recipes to try out.

Thanks, I'd never heard that one, I guess it sounds nicer like sweatbread and fry.
  #356   ^
Old Sun, Mar-08-09, 12:03

BF:
Default Striped Bass broil

Ingredients

1 whole seabass, scaled and gutted.
bunch of Dill
2 lemons, sliced
salt/ pepper
Chinese Red Pepper***
Oil

Rub fish with oil. season on the inside and outside with salt and peppers. cut 4 diagonal slits in the fishstuff lemon slices in the slits,stuff cavity with dill and lemons by laying the lemons against the skin and the dill in between. oil a pan large enough to hold fish. layy down a bedding of dill and Lemon on top of that. place fish in pan and Broil in an oven on second to top most rack until skin crisps up, flip fish over and crisp up the other side. reduce heat to 400 and place on midle rach for another 15 min.

I picked up a whole striped sea bass at an asian market. to my dismay it turned out to be Farmed. (there was a metal tag inside the gills) the fish came gutted and scaled, but retained its liver and sperm sack whick I fried up in olive oil as as appetizer.

***this is what the chinese used before peppers were introduced to them It is called Chinese red pepper corns. which is actually the outer husk of some berry, I think. it has a flowery, pungent flavor that sems to go well with fish.

here is a link about it (thanks Elizabeth)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sichuan_pepper

I bought it at the asian store for $2. I thin it should last me a decade.

I do not cook a lot of fish. this was easy and simple and the fish turned out amazing! crispy skin and moist and tender on the inside. definatley making this again! You can vary the herbs. many recipes call for rosemary or thyme, onions, Fennel, garlick. the possibilities are endless

This photo is from a recipe site (my camera crapped out, but it looked pretty much like this)

Last edited by Paleoeat : Sun, Mar-08-09 at 12:39.
  #357   ^
Old Mon, Mar-09-09, 12:35

BF:

KALE AND WALNUT CAKE

makes 9 squares

ingredients:
1-1/2 pounds Kale thoroughly washed, Remove midle stem, very roughly chopped
1 cup walnuts, chopped
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 eggs, whisked
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 teaspoon celtic sea salt

1. Wilt Kale in a large covered saucepan, over low heat (do not add water), until tender.
2. Drain and cool, then gently squeeze moisture out of the arugula. Really, get all the moisture out you possibly can. I think this is the most important step.
3. Place Kale in food processor and pulse until coarsely blended or finely chop by hand, then set aside.
4. In a small skillet, warm 3 tablespoons oil, add walnuts and saute until golden brown.
5. Add garlic to pan of walnuts and saute together an additional minute.
6. In a large bowl, combine walnut mixture, blended kale, eggs, cranberries and salt.
7. Spread mixture in a very thin layer into a greased 7 x 11 inch pyrex baking dish.
8. Bake at 350° for 30-40 minutes.
9. Cut into 9 squares and serve.

Based on a recipe by Elizabeth (kallyn)

#358   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 12:13

BF:

Submitted for your viewing pleasure, this must-see recipe is one of the new great meat dishes of all time... The Porkgasm:

http://www.porktopia.com/2009/03/porkgasm.html
  #359   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 12:33
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Submitted for your viewing pleasure, this must-see recipe is one of the new great meat dishes of all time... The Porkgasm:

That's hilarious!
  #360   ^
Old Wed, Mar-11-09, 12:35

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:

Oh wow.