Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 08:51
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 273/150/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 86%
Default Saddlebags, I look like a Hershey's kiss:-(

Okay so I am genetically predisposed to having saddlebags.

I am of both African-American and Caribbean heritage...and once upon a time I weighed 273lbs on a 5'2 frame.

(I have lost 123lbs.)

But my goodness...I kick a$$ in the gym everyday...speedwalking on the treadmill on a moderate incline...and these saddle bags will just not go away.

My upper body is getting smaller and smaller, but its as if the saddle bags are saying heck no we won't go.

As a result I look like a Hershey's kiss...and it is so not cute.

What am I doing wrong? Should I up the incline or the treadmill? Or should I lower incline and increase my speed?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 13:32

Plan: PP-ish
Stats: 202/149/147 Male 5'8
BF:~10%
Progress: 96%

You should get in the weight room.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 16:06

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

I think weights and, if you are daring, liposuction (I would not do it, but it's effective).
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-10, 19:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/159/135 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 37%

Lot's and lot's of weights....forget the treadmill for a min and get pumping
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-10-10, 08:33

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

i would add some heavy weight, low volume strength training. a good place to start for lower body is deadlifts and squats. spend the first couple of weeks going light and working on form, then step it up with some weights and start going heavy. do this a couple times a week. add some upper body pressing movements to balance out the routine.

i also recall an article written by dan duchaine about 15 years ago that talked about how to maximize the fat loss in this area for women. it's a long shot, but i'll see if i can find it.

by the way, what's your calorie intake like and what percentage of that is protein?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-10, 12:44
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 273/150/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 86%

[QUOTE=kbfunTH]i would add some heavy weight, low volume strength training. a good place to start for lower body is deadlifts and squats. spend the first couple of weeks going light and working on form, then step it up with some weights and start going heavy. do this a couple times a week. add some upper body pressing movements to balance out the routine.

i also recall an article written by dan duchaine about 15 years ago that talked about how to maximize the fat loss in this area for women. it's a long shot, but i'll see if i can find it.

by the way, what's your calorie intake like and what percentage of that is protein?[/QUOTE]

No clue...I eat 3-4 meals a day of meat and non-starchy veggies. Half a scoop of unsweetned isoltate whey protein powder and water...drinking half before my workout and the rest afterwards.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 19:32

Plan: Any low-carb
Stats: 280/270/185 Male 6'1"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Somehow I get the feeling you have a good sense of humour?

Never mind the liposuction comment...

If you are genetically built to be a "hershey's kiss" then you probably need to accept it. Heck, at best you can become a "mini" hershey's kiss, but if you learn to accept it, and with the humour, you'll attract all the men; no problem (if that is important to you). Loving yourself should,,...,,,

Thing is, if you don't accept it, lose the humour, you may end up a very unhappy person. Even if you get the lipo chances are something else will pop up...

Hey, I'm fat and have a big nose. Even if I lost the weight I'll still have a big nose. But heck, some women like that?! As long as learn to like it too, I'm good to go. Now back to Atkins.

GL
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-06-11, 19:48
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I remember reading about saddlebags being pretty much a permanent feature of those of us blessed with them. When I got very thin once, I still had them, but they got smaller.
Quote:
Answer: Saddlebags, a term we use to describe fat stored around the hips, thighs and butt, are very common in women. Unfortunately, spot reducing fat around the hips and thighs, or any other area of the body, won't work. While you can't remove fat from a certain area with specific exercises, you can lose overall body fat with diet and exercise. If you tend to store excess fat around the thighs, it may take a little longer to lose the fat there. Your genes and hormones determine where you lose fat so your best bet is to follow a consistent exercise program, eat a healthy, low-calorie diet and let your body respond to that. If you're losing inches, even if it isn't from that specific area, you're on the right track.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/butthi.../saddlebags.htm

I read that about the only way to get rid of them was through breastfeeding. They're sort of emergency fat stores for feeding a baby.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Jun-06-11 at 19:55.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-03-11, 11:21

Stats: 381/366/133 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress:

Caroline, I know I'm new to this and not "up to speed" but what did you do to lose the saddle bags? You look awesome, you're my shero!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 03:43

Stats: 180/172/150 Female 5ft 10inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

sorry but it sounds like this may just be your natural body shape! ): some girls (me included) are just stuck with saddlebags; the only way you could truly get rid of them is to not have ANY body fat at all, and thats not cute or healthy.

but trust me, guys or ladies or whoever you prefer, will find you sexy&beautiful as long as you're healthy, and think YOU'RE sexy & beautiful ' so appreciate em!