Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 20:40
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Lightbulb Sitting for meals may aid dieting, study finds

Last Updated: 2003-05-20 17:02:54 -0400 (Reuters Health)

By E. J. Mundell

ORLANDO (Reuters Health) - Diet-conscious couch potatoes, beware: a new study finds that eating while lying down might leave you hungry for more.

Ultrasound stomach scans and post-meal interviews suggest that people feel full sooner when seated for a meal, as opposed to reclining.

"When you are in the seated position, as opposed to lying flat, you are going to have more of your meal retained in the lower part of the stomach," explained Australian researcher Dr. Deirdre O'Donovan. "And you're going to feel, as a result of that, less hungry and more full."

O'Donovan, a researcher at the University of Adelaide, presented her team's findings here Tuesday at Digestive Disease Week, the largest annual gathering of gastroenterologists in the world.

While previous studies have examined the effect of eating posture on the movement of food from the stomach into the small intestine, O'Donovan's team says its study is the first to examine the relationship between body position and the distribution of a meal inside the stomach.

The researchers had eight healthy volunteers consume a sugary drink laced with a harmless radioactive tracer. Each volunteer drank the liquid twice -- once while sitting and once while lying flat with his or her head propped on a pillow.

With the tracer as a marker, the researchers used ultrasound and another scanning technique called scintigraphy to examine the distribution of food in the stomach, following its passage into the small intestine for an hour-and-a-half after consumption. Participants were also asked periodically how hungry or full they felt.

"Posture didn't affect the overall rate at which food left your stomach and went into the small intestine," O'Donovan said in an interview with Reuters Health.

But it did have an impact on "whether it was in the top part of your stomach -- which it was in the lying-down posture -- or in the lower part of your stomach, as it was in the sitting posture."

People who ate while sitting up tended to feel fuller, sooner. This makes sense, O'Donovan said, because that sense of fullness is increased when food collects in the lower portion of the stomach.

So breakfast in bed might not be the best idea for those hoping to slim down for the summer.

Instead, dieters "might want to have their meals while in the upright, seated posture," O'Donovan advised. "That would give them the greatest chance of feeling full immediately after their meals."

http://www.reutershealth.com/archiv...520elin030.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 20:53
Give chance a chance

Plan: General LC maintenance
Stats: 152.6/115.6/115 Female 60 inches
BF:28%
Progress: 98%

Gee, I have a lot of responses to this, but don't think I will post any of them......but I definitely will not eat while I am sleeping tonight.

Kay
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-20-03, 21:24
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/203/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hypothetical speculation based on this article (here goes!):

This study suggests to me that there are two distinct mechanisms controlling the cessation of eating: "fullness/stuffiness" (mass of food on the lower stomach) and "satisfaction" (hormone-mediated fat/carb consumption).

This insight may help explain (indirectly) the origin of the "carb-heavy diet = fullness = sated = weight loss" leap of faith error that help launch the disastrous "low fat" movement. These feelings are related in time (during or just after eating) but not in duration (sated-ness lasts longer than being stuffed).

I propose that the feeling of "fullness" (mass of food consumed) is somewhat, if not completely, independent of the feeling of "sated-ness" (quality of food consumed- "quality" meaning "fattiness"), despite their temporal link.

As Atkins said (paraphrase): "eat until you are satisfied, not stuffed." More many people, "sated" feelings seem to follow "stuffed" feelings by 15-30 minutes or so. Pause before you are "stuffed" (on a high-fat diet), and soon thereafter, the "sated" feeling takes hold.

One can stuff oneself with protein and fat, yet there is "always room for desert". Likewise, one can fill up on low-fat starchy Chinese stir-fry and rice, yet "you're hungry (again) half an hour later."

I often eat until I am stuffed, but my lean, underweight brother eats until he is satisfied because he "hates feeling stuffed".

Atkins may work in part because it is more "satisfying" without the need to "stuff".

Enjoy your food slowly, luxuriously, and the "stuffing" becomes unnecessary.

Lots of possibilities here - what precise mechanisms cause "satisfaction" vs "fullness"?

If only Mick Jaggar were obese: "I can't get no...sat-is-fac-tion."