Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 08:43

Plan: General lowcarb
Stats: 225/225/145 Female 5’0
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Restarting

Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? I have gained and lost, gained and lost, did lowcarb on and off over the years, and now finally am at the point that my doctor says I have to lose the weight or my health will only get worse. I have tried Over the years Atkins, Atkins 72, South Beach, Lowcarb vegetarian, Weight Watchers, Somercising, and countless other eating plans and while I did lose weight, I eventually gave up and ended up gaining all my weight back.
So now I’m going to take my time and try to slowly cut back on the carbs and try to slowly start some sort of exercise plan. I’m turning 49 in June and I’m just a mess! I’m afraid I have ruined my metabolism with all the yo-yo dieting I have done and I will never lose the weight. I weighed in this past Monday at the doctor 220lbs and I’m 4’11 & a half inches tall.
I need support, encouragement, and someone to give me some “tough love”! Lol!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 09:20

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, FH. I have a yo-yo history, too. I think it is great you are starting again! I am not starting all over, but I'm above my usual limit, and am weeding out things.

I'm sending you good thoughts.

I wish you much joy in LCing again, and lots of success!
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 10:09
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You are like me and I am like you (except I'm a little taller). I gained and lost, gained and lost, too -- for decades. And I was about the age that you are now when I had my ah-ha moment. "Going on a diet" wasn't the solution. It may work for young people with only a few pounds to lose - people who are otherwise weight stable with what they normally eat. But for those with a lot of weight to lose it NEVER works long term. Why? Because we operate on the false premise that we are fat and unhealthy because we eat too much and that if we can just eat less and exercise more the weight & health problems will go away. When we are gaining weight we are eating too much. There is no denying that. But the real problem is that WHAT we are eating MAKES US EAT TOO MUCH. It was the carbs, junky processed carbs tweaked to the "bliss point", that hammered our system with sugar and broke our metabolism. It is bad food that made us fat and sick. Put the blame where it belongs. Too many daily carbs broke my metabolism. Restricting carbs everyday is what fixed it. When I started eating good, healthy, real food everyday I gained control over what I ate. Eventually I got my life and my health back.

My biggest problem was that I was truly addicted to processed junk food. Like any addict I had to avoid my problem foods entirely to break free from them. Cutting back, "Cheat Days", "Rewards", "just one bite", holidays, off plan vacations, etc. was terrible dietary advice for me, yet I can't tell you how many times I've heard supposed professionals tout these indulgences as the secret to successful dieting. That advice is exactly what I wanted to hear. Moderation is the key. Well, it wasn't for me. The key for me was abstinence. A vegetarian does not eat a steak to celebrate 30 days of on plan eating. A smoker doesn't light up to celebrate finally kicking the habit. When I stayed completely away from the junky foods that I was addicted to they eventually lost their power and control over me. It took some white-knuckling those first few months to commit to staying on plan, but once I finally did this "diet" as a lifestyle change and stopped cheating, I found the success I'd been looking for. Simply cutting back would never have worked for me. I needed to break the addiction.

If I can do this then you can do this. It is not easy to change how you eat for life. Temptations are everywhere. But if you stick to on-plan foods it will get easier. The weight loss and restored health will come once you start eating right everyday.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 10:48

BF:

I’m so glad I’m not alone! My doctor has been telling me to just eat everything in moderation, exercise, eat low fat. Never mind that the only way I ever lost in the past and kept it off was when I ate butter, lard, coconut oil, etc. When I was still eating vegetarian he actually encouraged me to try the McDougall diet and I did, but I GAINED instead of losing weight.
I made up my mind I’m restarting today! I’ve been fasting for 12 hrs so now I’m going to eat scrambled eggs in Kerrygold butter and I’m make my hard boiled eggs for the week. Going to go out to the store to pick up some meat, more eggs, cheese, etc later.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 12:01

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/178.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

I myself have gained and lost over and over again. You are definitely not alone. Even though I never fully left low carb I recently recommitted (this week). I'm excited about my journey and would love to hear about yours. Have a great day!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Apr-20-18, 12:07
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

It is sort of funny, but part of my 'withdraw symptoms" from carby junk food was that I became so sick of eating boring low carb foods. At one point 6 or 8 weeks into the diet I could hardly choke down another green been, egg, or even a bite of delicious steak. It all became so unappealing. A few weeks later that all changed. I eat eggs, cheese, meat and LC veggies everyday and I never get sick of it. Right now there is Pizza Hut Pizza in the break room that the boss brought in for the staff. I'm not interested, not even tempted. Last week it was donuts and gourmet cupcakes. Not for me. No way. Once you get it into your head that it is that kind of junk that broke you and sent you into a life if misery and struggle, the last thing that you want to do is mess around with it. I stay away. I stay free. I stay healthy.

One more bit of advice... this forum is a great place for support and information. Support here really, really helped me get over the hump with this way of eating. I'm not sure that I could have done what I did without the support I received here. May I suggest that you start a journal and visit here regularly. Ask questions. Post in other people's journals who are on the same journey that you are starting. Once you get rock solid with this WOE you will be another success story documented here to inspire others to do the same.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 00:09

Plan: Keto
Stats: 185.8/157.4/135 Female 5'4""
BF:
Progress: 56%

You are absolutely not alone. I have gained and lost so many times I've lost count. I have also tried several weight loss plans. I recommitted on March 13th and so far I've lost about 12 pounds. Two things that I am doing this time are: 1) writing down every single thing I put in my mouth. I learned that from WW and it helps me stay accountable and 2) I ordered a keto friendly meal delivery service. I always got bored when I was on plan before but with this meal plan I feel like I'm getting restaurant quality foods at home. I'm actually excited about what I'm eating and to date I have not felt deprived. I'm only a little over 30 days in so I can't really know for sure if it will stick this time but it certainly feels different and I'm hopeful that yo-yoing is behind me for good. We can do this!!!
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 07:59

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts

Quote:
Is there anyone else in the same boat as me? I have gained and lost, gained and lost, did lowcarb on and off over the years,... I’m afraid I have ruined my metabolism with all the yo-yo dieting I have done and I will never lose the weight.

I've gained/lost/regained for many years too. At least these days, I'm gradually working my way down rather than up.

I'd say don't worry about your metabolism and just proceed. There's more research these days about what foods affect weight, and you may find you need to tweak certain things like dairy, artificial sweeteners, eating windows and such. But it's doable.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 08:43

BF:

Well this is Day 2 and so far so good. I drank a lot of water yesterday and today I’m going to be sure and drink my sugar free Powerade! In the past I realized how much that helps in the first couple days with any “Keto flu” symptoms. I had bacon and eggs for breakfast.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Apr-21-18, 08:48

BF:

Hi, FH. I wish you a really good day.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 11:04

BF:

Day #3 and so far so good!!!!!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-18, 11:54

BF:

Hi, FH. I'm glad you are doing well.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 11:15

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 195/178.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

You seem to be on the right track...keep it up
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 20:08

BF:

Day 4 and all is well
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Apr-23-18, 21:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 180/177/150 Female 66inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathippie
Day 4 and all is well

Congrats Fathippie. Im on my second day back on lowcarb. Inspired by your progress.