Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 14:55
Registered Member

Plan: Nutritional Ketosis
Stats: 255/239.5/160 Female 61
BF:
Progress:
Default Meat does affect kidney over time

"First of all, a healthy kidney has no problem at all with excess protein, handles it all just fine. "

I do need to address this. A healthy kidney loses function every year past 40, so you wind up dead by the time you have non functioning ones.
MOST adults and childen do consume far more protein than is needed, along with massive carbs & sugar. Excess P every day..does not help the kidneys.

LCHF diets are excellent if protein is moderated..the advice is "eat the fatty side first", then the meat. But meat tastes so good, it is temping to eat more with the fats. and for the average SAD eater learning LCHF they may go for more meat. Many will still cut fat off.. from fear of fat.

20M have stage 3+ kidney disease, most undetected. It is silent. 66 Million US Americans are in a risk zone already and may be advancing in kidney disease. Eating meat is like burning wood..there is waste, and the kidney has to haul it out… you don't get a restart daily, 'ash' builds up.

The global kidney initiive is a massive effort by thousands of doctors and most countries to REDUCE the problem of advancing diaysis due to diabetes, CKD, obesity, etc… it's a big circle. There is a national March kidney month, the NKF has a big, free K.E.E.P. program to find and tell you..You never heard of it,right?

If one is already obese, even overweight, some harm is being done, every extra pound is a mile more blood vessels to filter. Now add in diet, and health issues, and the big one Hypertension;untreated it kills in multiple ways. pre-diabetes and diabetes are right there too.

KDIGO 2012 Clinical Practice Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Chronic Kidney Disease
http://www.kdigo.org/clinical_pract...2012_CKD_GL.pdf
163 pages of how to help humans protect their kidneys:
3.1.13: We suggest lowering protein intake to 0.8 g/kg/day in adults with diabetes (2C) or without diabetes (2B) and GFR o30 ml/min/ 1.73 m2 (GFR categories G4-G5), with appropriate education.
3.1.14: We suggest avoiding high protein intake (41.3 g/kg/day) in adults with CKD at risk of progression. (2C)

++++++++++++++++
Teaching people to balance more vegetable with meats, as veggies lighten the burden on filtering, reduce phosphorous, provide nutrition, and are affordable for most, is a balanced approach.

If I could eat 80-100 gr protein via meat a day I might..now I can't.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 15:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Where is your proof that a high protein diet, in and of itself--when not combined with a high sugar, high carb diet, causes loss of kidney function over time?
  #18   ^
Old Sat, May-02-15, 15:12

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Like to add two things: asking our doctor for a creatine test (I had one in the last six months) or BUN is a great way to help determine one's kidney status. As MuddyGurl states, there are things one can do if trouble is detected, and it will help immensely down the road.

The other is that I'm now at the end of my second week of the same regimen: smoothie breakfast at 7:30pm, "linner" at 2:30pm which is an ample low carb meal, and that's it. I am so pleased that I'm not hungry, I sleep very well, and I've resisted the temptations and social pressure. I attend art openings and other receptions as part of my job, but no one really notices that I'm not eating or drinking alcohol. Dinner with friends is going to be the tricky part!

And my volume of food has gone down, even with the lotsa protein in the morning that Dr. Kruse recommends. At least at this point, it has done wonders for my energy, sleep, and stamina -- a real problem with cortisol resistance.