Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Dec-13-02, 22:38

Plan: own version of LC
Stats: 180/163/145 Female 5' 8"
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Day one on CALP

Hi all

After reading many posts and buying the CALP book I switched to CALP from Atkins today. I lost 10 pounds on the Atkins diet the first 2-3 weeks and then nothing for the next 3 weeks. Got discouraged and so now I decided to try CALP. I took the CA test and I am a moderate carbohydrate addict. Enough for me to try this I think.

Any advice on my menu today is greatly appreciated!

Todays menu:

Brunch: scrambled egges with sauteed mushrooms
(CM) 3 slices of lean bacon
slice of cheese
salad with italian dressing

Dinner: baked chicken breast
(RM) green beans
salad with bean sprouts, black olives, cheese and
balsamic vinegarette dressing
whole wheat roll
1/4 mint chocolate cheese cake

Had 2 caffiene free diet pepsi's today and at least 64 oz of water

I think I over did it on the cheese cake but the pieces seemed so small I had 3. (12 slices total) Had no problem at all staying in the hour time frame.

I really hope this works.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 07:32

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 230/136/136 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 100%

welcome and good luck Nancy
best bit of advice I can give, is that I have a notebook and I write what Im feeling as well. this has enabled me to find my triggers.
After a day or so of writing that youre starving after broccoli, the light goes on ( well most of the time )
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 07:41
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome to CAD, Nancy
Join right in. Everyone here is very supportive. As you use CAD really start listening to your body as Plum said. Also do not eat by the clock, eat when you are hungry. You will find yourself, maybe, much less hungry than you used to be.

Good Luck!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 12:09

BF:

Hi Zuleika and Plum

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Keeping a notebook about how I'm feeling sounds really good. I know that last night I had anxiety around 10 - 10:30. Good have been my husband causing it though

I like the idea that if I'm not hungry I don't have to eat. I can skip a meal or delay it. That wasn't true with Atkins. Never did see the sense in eating if I am not hungry.

Did fine yesterday without any snacks between meals. Surpisingly, after last night's RM I didn't get hungry till 10 this morning.

Off to a good start. Weight is still 165 which is good because I thought I might gain after last night's supper. Measured this morning and have lost a total of 5 inches. So on Atkins I lost 10 pounds and 5 inches in 6 1/2 weeks. This will be a good comparison to how I do on CALP for 6 weeks.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 13:12

Plan: CAD
Stats: 244/226.5/140
BF:
Progress: 17%

Nems, I think you will find that one of the most rewarding benefits of CAD is the loss of hunger and cravings. I know that I want to lose weight, but with CAD/CALP I feel so good because I feel in control. So even if the pounds don't shed off as quickly (which they have), I know I will continue with this woe.

Major Benefits:
Loss of hunger
Loss of craving
Lose weight
Eat almost anything you want each day

Who could ask for more??? Lol!

Anyways, good luck, and welcome!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 00:34

BF:

Hi ya Luv

Your so right, this is only my second day and I am not hungry at all between my two meals. That's a good plus right there. I use to eat when I was bored at times and now I don't since I can't or won't eat the way I use to even though I get tempted now and then. I don't have any cravings either....it's more of a temptation than anything. I had brownies for my dessert tonight with my RM and I could have ate alot more of them but I made myself stop because I wasn't hungry just loved the way they tasted.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Nancy,
Isn't is amazing. Yesterday I bought chocolates for Christmas gifts, I bought a small box for my RM. Last night I was wrapping gifts and it never occurred to me that it was a temptation. Before I wouldn't have even bought them and had them sitting around because I knew I couldn't handle it.

I bought the CALP book initially and started there. Yesterday I bought CAD and I like it much better. It ends up pretty much the same plan either way, it just explains it better. The CAD book has a few things I didn't see in CALP. Only have 2oz of creamer in your coffee and drink it within 15 minutes. It gives some recommendations on CM quantity. It explains the development of the foodplan and the test for carb addiction. In CALP I was a moderate carb addict, in CAD I tested severe. It explains the levels of carb addiction, for example moderate addicts may be more drawn toward bread and pasta, while severe addicts go for sweets. I found the CAD book made me feel more confident that the plan really works because of the extra details they've included.

I'm glad its working for you.
Nancy
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:05

Plan: No more
Stats: 168/177/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: -39%

Welcome Nems,

I switched over from Atkins last month. Atkins was good, but I wasn't losing and was getting kind of down and the sweets were getting more tempting. Initially I lost about 8 lbs, but due to increasing my body building, I gained back what I had lost... just more muscle.

But, CAD/CALP are way easier to do and I feel more in control because if sweets tempt me, I know I can have some at my RM. With Atkins I couldn't do that. I'm losing really slowly, but I'm enjoying it a lot more, too.

I baked Christmas cookies today... outside of my RM time... but they weren't a problem to me at all. I can remember a year ago baking cookies and having to test them over and over again! lol... And that would just give me more cravings so I'd have more. This year is just plain awesome in comparison! I think you'll find the change is great as well.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 13:37

BF:

Nachem....love your real name Thanks for telling me about the CAD book. I think I will go buy it soon because I would like to read more in detail. This is the first time in years that I have made brownies and they are still there after 2 hours. (usually I wouldn't even bake them just eat the mix.. What has kept me from eating them is knowing I can have more at my RM.

So much better than Atkins. It was getting to tempting for me when my hubby would bring home kripsy kremes, ice cream, candy and I just had to look the other way. I have to admit I did have two kripsy kremes while on Atkins but hey..they were pretty good. Best thing was I didn't have more than two. It will be good when my hubby joins me on calp/cad in January.

Tokenyanke...Thanks for the welcome! I'm not yet at the point where I can make goodies outside my RM time but one day I will be able too. You should have seen me rushing around timing my RM and then eating it while the brownies were baking! I plan to start working out today. (after 7 weeks on Atkins now CALP) My daughter just got an apartment that has a full fitness center including racketball and best of all I can go as her guest and it's FREE! Now I have no reason to start toning my muscles.

Glad to meet you both!