Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jul-04-03, 19:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/252/172
BF:
Progress: 2%
Talking Fresh Baked Bread and Butter MMmmm...

Hi,

I've decided to try out an Atkins type diet for the second time. First time round I did lose some but found it really hard to give up carbs totally, especially as the canteen at work plastered all the lovely fatty protein foods in sauces with a sugar/starch element and gave free rice and chips (french fries) with it. The only alternative was to get my low carb from the help yerself salad counter (LOL! I used to load up my very small bowl with boiled eggs and place a few sprigs of lettuce and beans on top to hide my greediness). Problem is it then really was a low calorie, cold, boring meal instead of a glorious hot dinner. All the gorgeous far too young and slim to be dieting hotties at the salad counter looked in disgust at the egg and bean mountain I could get away with while they carried on with the lettuce and cress 0.001 calorie portion they torture themselves with! LOL!

To be honest I am not a big carb addict at all. I dislike very sweet foods and hardly ever eat sweets, chocolate, cakes, ice cream, etc. I would take wholemeal bread/pasta any day in preference to starchy white stuff. Don't eat much bread but really love the odd thick doorstep with fresh butter and a few strips of bacon mmm.....

I'm not a major fan of fresh fruit but do like it in preference to any manufactued 'sweets' and would hate to totally give it up!

I love every type of meat, especially pork chops, grilled steaks mottled in fat, lamb, chicken, turkey, duck, all type of fish and seafood, etc. and could eat mountains of the stuff. I never discard bacon rinds, chicken skin, or my favourite, seared pork chop fat! mmm drip down my chin baby! I eat most fish skin as well! Atkins was made for me!!

Love every single cheese on the planet, especially strong blue mouldy fatty ones (except one I saw on an Italian food program that actually had live salty maggots crawling round in it - thats a bit too extreme, though I probably could eat the big, fat, juicy, wriggling on ya tongue 'Meally worm' grubs the Australian aborigines eat - taste like sweet scrambled egg apparently! LOL!)

My favourite vegetables are Mex/Med such as chillis, tomatoes, aubergine, peppers, mushrooms, olives, onions, etc. The 'nightshades' I've heard them called. I absolutely love kidney beans, chick peas, and such.

In fact I love all food, but have a very strong preference indeed for the savoury and spicy. Sugar does nothing for me. Starchy just helps fill me up.

There are only 2 problems really. Both are wheat related.

I love fresh bread. Dont eat much but all the meaty fatty loveliness doesnt seem the same without it!! Its the only carb food I miss. What else can you mop up the bacon fat with?

The other is drink. Being British I love tea, not so keen on coffee. I drink both without sugar anyway. I drink the odd Coke but prefer iced water, or fresh fruit juice diluted with iced water. I do not like sweet stuff much at all.

But I love beer! Lots of beer! Its a male thing I think, but somehow God decided to punish all mankind once he reaches 30 by giving him a Beer Belly. I am not at all as keen on spirits and wines they just dont make me as happy!! I would love to give up alcohol altogether but somehow its not possible. Definitely will cut down though maybe once a month?

Anyway I am rambling. Ultimately my biggest probs are with lifes wonderful grain products - "Bread and Beer". I love em. Has anyone any low carb alternatives

PS. My mum just came round with a fresh tin loaf coated in poppy seeds, Irish butter and eggs. I have a moral problem with wasting food and so will have to restart my Atkins again on Monday
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-06-03, 02:18

Plan: Atkins.. somewhat
Stats: 286/268/160 Female 5'5"
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 14%

hiya Andy

Welcome to the forum Just to let ya know.. I have some great recipes for lo-carb bread.. BUT lol im gonna be a meany and hold out on ya until ya do induction for 2 weeks lol.. they really are yummmmmyyyyyyy.. in fact.. i think i will make a nice fresh loaf tonight so I can have a slice of toast & butter for brekkie! ahhh im such a meanie huh! there are also some lo-carb beer brands that arent too bad.. dunno if ya have them where you are at. I dont see that you have started a journal yet... you really should so i can torment ya some more Anyways.. take care and have a great day

tracy