Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-23-03, 21:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%
Default Not exactly related to low-carbing.. but...

I have begun to notice something that may be a bit of an alert to me of an impending flare (or just worsening of symptoms). I DROP Everything I touch. I just get so darn clumsy, literally walking into walls, doors, hitting my head on cabinets adn pretty much anything hanging at that level. For the moment this seems to be a key sort of alert. Although the brain-fog is a real close second.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar?

Thanks !
Tracy
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Aug-25-03, 12:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/185/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 55%

hi Tracy,

You are not alone. I'm sporting a gigantic bruise on my thigh from banging into the corner of the dresser .. and I don't own a complete set of dishes or glassware for having dropped at least one or two pieces from each set My "favourite" trick is to poke myself in the eye when I'm aiming to scratch my cheek, or I'll ram a forkful of food into my chin instead of my mouth.

There is a reason for it ... we're not crazy. In her book, Fibromyalgia & Chronic Myofascial Pain Syndrome: a survival manual, Dr. Devin Starlanyl (who has fibro)
states:
Quote:
... When small groups of muscles randomly fire, you may experience what are called fasciculations. One person on the Internet calls them "butterfly kisses." These are small twitches that usually start by being fairly imperceptible, and they do not involve joint movement. They start with rapid firing randomly located neurons. When enough muscle fibers are involved, a twitch results. Jerks and spasms of the body often indicate that the muscles are not getting sufficient oxygen, and these symptoms can increase before flare.

In addition, you may experience one or more of the following symptoms:

• Your muscle strength may become unreliable, and you may drop things more often than usual. You may also be aware of weakness during certain movements, such as when pouring liquids, turning a doorknob, or opening a can of pet food. This occurs because the muscle involved has learned to limit the the force of its contraction to below the pain threshold; as a result, it starts compensating and restricting certain movements.

• An involved extremity may feel cold compared with the other one, due to constriction of the blood vessels.

• You may feel frequent dizziness when you change your posture. This could be restricted to when you get up after lying down, or it could happen every time you move your head. Some people cannot walk without feeling that they are falling forward.

• Another symptom is spatial disorientation. You can no longer tell where you are relation to the world around you. You bump into walls and fall over curbs. It isn't unusual to come out of this with a sprain, strain, or even a broken bone. You may find it necessary to restrict yourself to one floor level.

Along with or instead of this, you may have disturbed weight-perception. It may be hard for you to judge the weight of objects you pick up. This can result in apparently throwing objects around.

• It may be increasingly difficult to feed yourself without spilling food. You may need to use straws to get liquid to your mouth.

• Fibrofog - the inability to think clearly - may become extreme. The fog may creep up and get so thick that you are unaware even of the fact that you are in flare.

• Depression due to chronic pain may worsen, as may the pain itself.

As far as low-carbing goes in relation to Fibro-flares ... I believe that hypoglycemia can worsen any of the symptoms, especially the brain fog. Eating smaller meals more frequently will help, and always have protein with every meal and snack. Don't eat carbs alone, even if it's a "low-carb" thing.

And I try to have quick to grab and eat protein things handy, like small cans of tuna, cheese and h/b eggs. When you're in a big flare, the last thing you feel like is cooking, and then standing in front of the sink afterward doing dishes (and dropping things )

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 15:57

Stats: 142/130/125 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

Hi! Funny you should be discussing this subject. I am having a flare up today due to a major weather change...its cold, cloudy, and damp. I was trying to do my hair, and kept dropping the hair dryer and curling iron, which is bad for wood floors. I have also been feeling dizzy, and of course I have a lot of pain, particularly neck, hips, and knees. Your information is extremely helpful Doreen. Thank you for posting it. Now, can you please explain to me why weather changes cause flare ups. Thanks Gail
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 16:11
Registered Member

Stats: 147/140/128 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 37%

I really meant to respond to this about 3 days ago. Until we got hit with some mean little virus that pretty much destroyed my hard-drive. Good grief! As if dealing with our own health isn't enough - we have to coddle these darned machines too!

Doreen - thank you for the information You also helped me to understand a couple of other things I was wondering about, that were mentioned in your post. I read and read about FMS, and still I am surprised at how much I Don't know about it.
Currently I'm trying to return to work (part time so far) after 2 years off as a direct result of Fibro. Typically stress triggers some nasty things, so I'm really kind of hoping that low-carbing may be of some help in easing them.
Gail - sorry you're having a rough go right now. The weather really seems to affect me as well. Human barometers - wonder if there's any money to be had in that?

Back to making supper - if I can hold onto the spoon long enough to stir the chili! ; )

~Tracy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-28-03, 19:28
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by imagem
...... Now, can you please explain to me why weather changes cause flare ups. Thanks Gail

hi Gail,

No, I can't explain it Neither can the experts, and there is still some disagreement as to whether it's even a bona fide phenomenon, or if it's yet another thing that's all in our heads I did post some published studies from last year which discussed this. you might be interested to read .. Does weather affect fibromyalgia or arthritis pain??

FWIW, I definitely flare when the weather changes ... doesn't matter if it's changing from good to bad, or from bad to good ... it's the changes that evoke the flare. Like right now

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-03, 11:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 177/154/127 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default weather changes

[FONT=Courier New][COLOR=Sienna]
I have noticed during weather changes that I
get bad headaches, eye pain, and my joints are
more inflamed, get cracking noise. I think
it's related to the barometric changes.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 02:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/166/130 Female 5' 3.5"
BF:
Progress: 10%

My doctor still has not decided for certain if I have fibro. I'll know for sure when I see him next week. I'm going through everything written about in this thread, have been for years. It wasn't until the pain became so severe that I couldn't do my job that I saw a doctor.
Doreen, thank you for mentioning that book. If it turns out I have this syndrome, I'll look it up.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Oct-27-03, 20:44
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb_o
...Doreen, thank you for mentioning that book. If it turns out I have this syndrome, I'll look it up.

hi Deb,

I suggest you might want to read the book regardless ... Dr. Starlanyl devotes a whole chapter to other syndromes and conditions which can mimic and/or overlap Fibro. It's very likley your local library has a copy you can borrow.

Doreen