Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Dec-11-02, 19:42

Plan: atkins
Stats: 175/154.5/135 Female 5'5"
BF:38.8%
Progress: 51%
Default need a buddy currently breast feeding

Do not be alarmed my daughters primary sorce of food is solids! I am 20 pounds above my pre-preggop weight and would love to talk to people who have new children or are doing this and breastfeeding
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-14-02, 22:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 130/126/117
BF:30/28/20
Progress: 31%
Unhappy My daughter has just weaned

I am a little sad about it but swore I would start Atkins once she was done. My husband and I just started on Tuesday. I am feeling much better now than a couple of days ago...I think the buddy system is a great way to motivate.

I was wondering if you think that my body is holding onto some fat thinking that I may be breastfeeding again soon? (does this make any sense to you) I'm feeling fine and my breasts aren't sore or anything but after 5 days of Induction, no weight loss.

I did wait to start because I was told by my friend (who studies nutrition) not to do this while breastfeeding...the book says it too...but I also considered that if her main source of nutrition was solids, why not? How long have you been doing it and how has the baby reacted? Are you supplementing with formula?

How's it working for you?

I'm here to talk and support if you'd like.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 16:28

Default bad habits

I am very bad!!! I have developed awful eating habits while pregnant and have continued on with them. I am starting again on Monday. This time for sure. The longest I have gone is five days and my daughter has had no problems. i drink lots of water though. I am breast feeding her with every meal but her main source of nutrition is solids. but this way of life has not affected my milk supply (I cna still pump out bottles0
I have no idea why we couldn have started this while breast feeding. I have a friend who does the "starvation method" not by choice but simply forgetfulness and has ample milk for her son and has lost all of the 47 lbs she gained plus 10 more! I hate her. She looks fabulous. My body is harbouring the weight. But I also haven't been strict.

I do not know if your body stills thinks you might be feeding. Have you dried up yet? This should help immensely. I also do not know what your eating habits are like or your menu. Let me know this and maybe together we can ensure that this pregnancy weight is gone by the time bathing suit season is in.

To answer your supplement question I do not take any. Only vit C every now and then. Do you have any vices? Coffee, chocolate, bread? Mine is sugar.

Well I hope to hear from you soon. Check your measurements as opposed to your weight at the very least you stomach should have shrunk.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 20:09

Default just got back from restaurant

Thanks for your reply...I enjoy reading other people's opinions.

I put the baby to bed about an hour ago and was speaking to my cousin about the fact that I have no weight loss so far...she says no worries...her mom, my aunt, took 4 weeks before losing anything and now she's losing like crazy!
She's lost 23 lbs....from 147 to 125...she's 5foot6 she's nuts. But works out like mad...well not like mad but regularly which I really must start doing.

Are you working out?

I have not yet dried out...so my cousin also thinks that my body is holding some fat in anticipation of nursing.

She's given me a list of supplements like Flax seed oil and a good multivitamin..she uses Quest Super and some kind of fish oil.

I'll get some flax seed oil this week. I am taking a GNC women's mutlivitamin already.

I think it's the quality of the milk that is affected not the quantity.

I keep reading that you must get the carbs in...20 a day...I am
having some difficulty getting that but finally today I did it. I also had a glass of white wine...we had friends over this afternoon because we won't be seeing them during the holidays. I know it's not a good thing...and am really going to try to stay away from that until induction is over...2 maybe 3 weeks, we'll see.

Have you tried [EMAIL=www.fitday.com] you can actually list all the foods you've eaten for the day...I've done it and actually it's a great tool . It keeps you on your toes. I keep a diary there too.

Oh ya...I asked my husband to hide the scale...I was kind of obsessed!

So gotta go but we will talk soon...
tomorrow's another day I promise to do some form of activity...ask me tomorrow what I did?!

And good luck to you...keep with it, the results will be great!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Dec-15-02, 20:33

I would agree with your cousin your body probably still thinks that it needs to hold onto the fat to feed your child. Wouldn't it be great if we all could lose the weight like you cousin's friend!!!!

The one motivation that I have is that I didn't have a weight problem prior to my pregnancy. I did when I was a child but was able to lose everything by the time I entered high school. I became a runner and have ran ever since. I ran up until the day before my daughter was born. So yes I do work out. it is far more spuratic than before she was born because she is in that making strange phase and will not stay in the child care center and won't even stay with her grandma for 1 1/2 hours!

My work out schedule is Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday run for 45 minutes to 1 hour
Wednesday Saturday and Sunday I do Pilates or weights. the problem is is tha I am not consistent with this routine.

Fit fay is an excellent tool. I also understand how difficult it is to get all carbs but make sure that you eat your veggies and also keep in mind that 1 cup of salad is really 8 ounces of salad (a whole lot of food) don't make that mistake of trying to cram lettuce into a measuring cup! For your veggies I cut up peppers and srpay them with oil and roast them in the oven. I put a little garlic on them and they are great with fish or meat! I also have purchased smoked lean turley bites that have 0.5 grams carbs per stick and 50 calories. Great for snacking. So is cheese and cucumber slices.

Don't obsess too much about the number on the scale go more by your clothing and keep some motivation in mind when it comes to Christmas.

Tomorrow I start again and will do it this time! Even a simple walk around the block with child will be good exercise for 30 minutes. I'll ask you tomorrow what you did. Good luck until then.

Talk to you soon!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Dec-17-02, 19:01

Smile A Runner eh!

Good for you...that takes great discipline and I understand it's a great fat burner too.
I'm a walker myself...this past summer my baby and I would walk 5 kms a day about 3 times a week...

I did weight watchers four years ago and used to walk 3 miles on the treadmill 6 days a week...and kept most of the wieght off until I got pregnant...I gained 50 pounds and lost 47 of it...and now decided to go back to where I was four years ago...

I also developed bad eating habits mostly out of laziness...just no time or energy to make healthy meals...but it seems that this is easier to follow than WW...I just cook meat, eggs, eat cheese and snack on pork rinds.

I had a great workout today...I put the baby in the backpack and walked cross country for 1 hour...it sure felt good!

My husband hid the scale...very good thing but today I felt like looking for it...talked myself out of it.

You say you had bad eating habbits? like what? What can you do to change that? I've been reading the boards non-stop since last week...I got lots of tricks and tips if you need some ideas perhaps we could exchange ideas?

Anyway, gotta go clean...LATER

Keep pushing...I will.