Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-18, 08:07

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default Charlie Foundation celebrates 25 years with new website

From the Charlie Foundation Facebook page.

The Charlie Foundation Celebrates 25 years!
Since 1993 The Charlie Foundation has championed awareness and advancement of Ketogenic Therapies. From supporting medical research to empowering patients who had lost hope, our goal is to elevate knowledge so that each of us can engage in a process of informed decision making.

We have recently launched our revamped website, and we want to hear from you! Our goal is to ensure the Charlie Foundation offers the best, most relevant information for your ketogenic needs, questions, and support. Please visit www.charliefoundation.org and let us know how we are doing!

New website design: https://charliefoundation.org

Check out the five variations of Ketogenic Diets video on the home page.

Started to help families dealing with epilipsy, "in recent years, less restrictive versions of the Ketogenic Diet have been developed making it accessible to a larger segment of the epilepsy population (estimated at over 60 million people worldwide). Today there are over 200 hospitals worldwide with Ketogenic Diet programs. In the USA, advanced-level epilepsy treatment centers are required to provide Ketogenic Diet therapy.

New applications of the Ketogenic Diet for cancer, autism, ALS, Parkinson’s Disease, type-2 diabetes, and traumatic brain injury have emerged. Scientific data regarding these new uses of diet therapy is accumulating rapidly. Variations of the Ketogenic Diet for these other disorders are being developed. Today, it is the Charlie Foundation’s expanded mission not only to champion Ketogenic Diet therapy for epilepsy, but provide up-to-date information regarding its expanded use and variations. To this end we have re-named ourselves “The Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies”.

New name, great new resources.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Feb-26-18 at 08:13.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-26-18, 15:45

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks, Janet. Very encouraging news about dietary protocols to improve health. The Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies is finding and confirming new ways to treat health using a ketogenic approach. Better to be portrayed in the context of a scientifically sound method either augmenting or replacing drug therapy, than the latest diet fad in People magazine. The power of diet must be better understood, and this is a major step.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Feb-27-18, 10:17

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

I think there needs to be a foundation or something to get a lc diet option into hospitals.

I was pleasantly surprised that post-surgical hospital stay of sugar, sugar and more sugar didn't derail me at the time, but it's hard to believe it facilitated healing for this diabetic.

One time the internist resident came to my room to ask me why my blood sugar was so high and I said, "Well, perhaps it was because they took my BS after the high sugar "protein shake" I had for lunch!" Maybe she thought the insulin they had me on would fix that.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-18, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

JL. There were 10 tips for getting better hospital food here, written by a Hospitalist. https://www.dietdoctor.com/order-lo...er-quality-food

The 200 Keto hospitals listed above are everywhere, but the contact is usually one Dietician hidden deep in the Children's hospital, or a special epilepsy department. They don’t often tout that skill elsewhere. The UNC Dietician does list Cancer and Metabolic Disease in addition to epilepsy, but still waiting for the day she is part of the mainstream cancer nutrition advice.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Feb-28-18, 06:12

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Interesting, thanks, although I'm hoping I won't need it anytime soon.