Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-13, 19:03
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Drugs that cause weight gain (Prescription and OTC)

I thought we could start a list. It might be useful. I've been taking naprosyn for back pain and found my weight going up and up. Looked it up and sure enough it is a known side effect.

Naproxen sodium, Naprosyn (Aleve)
Ibuprofin (Advil, etc)

If you know of any, add to the list. Copy mine and add your own. By the end of the thread we should have a lot.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-13, 20:31

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 264/158/125 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Cozaar/Losartan, for high blood pressure -gained 10 pounds in a week. Started back to LC and couldn't get my appetite under control or get the scale to budge. I was constantly hungry. Stopped taking it and my appetite was normal and the scale started moving.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-13, 22:32

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I thought we could start a list. It might be useful. I've been taking naprosyn for back pain and found my weight going up and up. Looked it up and sure enough it is a known side effect.

Here's yet another thing I wish I'd known decades ago. That helps to explains some of my weight re-gain from October to the present. My old knee injury flared up and I've used both Aleve and Advil regularly.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 05:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

From Jackie Eberstein's Presentation on Low Carb Weight Loss Plateau:

Medications that Increase Metabolic Resistance

-Hormones, Depo-provera, BCPs, HRT
-NSAID
-Psychotropics, many old and newer
-Diuretics and other anti-hypertensives
-Steroids
-Antibiotics
-Insulin and drugs that elicit an insulin response
-Antihistamines
-Diet Pill Rebound
-Statin drugs

Note that drug brand names vary by country, so the generic name of the drug or its category of drug action will be helpful.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jun-15-13 at 18:19.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jun-15-13, 08:23
Experimenter

BF:

I take an antihistamine every night. **sigh**

Anyway, my NSAID story:

I was taking 2-3 naproxen a day for terrible back pain. Gained like 3 pounds in just a couple of days. Terrible stuff!
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-25-13, 05:21

Plan: paleo-ish
Stats: 482/400/240 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 34%

I don't know if this is quite what you're looking for but I just discovered that in people with weak adrenals dhea supplements are known to convert directly to estrogen, rather than do all the other stuff it is supposed to. This often leads to estrogen dominance, which can cause all kinds of weight gains.

It's also important to watch for food allergy reactions. I'm up 15 lbs because cortef is made with cornstarch and I didn't realize it until I was completely miserable. I hope most of that will go away as my body clears out the inflammation.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 12:38
Registered Member

Plan: LC/Atkins/Hgc2.0 &3.0
Stats: 260/231/160 Female 5' 1"
BF:Maybe someday....
Progress: 29%

Boy...and I thought I was perhaps suffering from a bit of carb creep from time to time.

When I read the average weight losses of most on this forum, mine is very low in comparison, as in a pound a week if I'm lucky.

I can see why now, from the meds list above. I have my work cut out for me, I can see that clearly.

I think maybe all of it; age, meds, and being more careful of what I eat - is all impacting the rate of loss. I am sure of it.

I had recently gone through what all I am eating, and I have decided to cut out a lot of it, and increase just the basics, and to stop being so afraid of fat!

Now I see I have to dump the low-dose statin I take, as well as the antidepressant, and if my BP has gotten a lot better, the diuretic! One would naturally assume a diuretic would actually assist weight loss, wouldn't they?! I see now where I've had this triple whammy going on the whole time!!

I'm so glad I see my Doc next week, and I will get my yearly blood draw and see how all the numbers are. After 5 months of low carb, I'm hoping for some improvement. But also am being realistic, especially after reading someone else's numbers on a thread near this one today!

I'm still happy that 20 lbs. is gone. To me, that is huge! The cigarettes are gone. I started both on the same day. I had to. I feel a lot better in general, even with aging, (darned near 60) and fibromyalgia and arthritis. I can work around all that stuff! As long as I keep moving, and trying to do the right things.

I'm so glad for all the info I've found here. You guys really help clear things up!

Bat Spit, I clicked on your link "One Rat Studies are valid." I read all of that, and it is very good. Love the content and especially the style of the author. Very informative, easy to read! Thanks! I will be following her writings.

Just when I thought I was narrowing things down and figuring out what to do to get off the weight loss stall, I've found much more needing done. That's ok. One step at a time. It doesn't discourage me. It makes me more determined than ever to get it right!! Time to get out my notebooks again where I wrote down every single little thing! Needed to anyway. Now I have to, so as not to forget a single thing!!

Thanks for this thread, Nancy. You're such a terrific contributor!
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 13:53

A big round of for quitting cigarettes. You know that likely is doing the most to improve your health, more than weight loss. And you are fighting what many here are...age (62 for me) and menopause. That's all on another page of Jackie's presentation!
If you are eating VLC, below 50g, fluid balance can become a issue. Low carb is diuretic on its own..the kidneys release water on it own. Why people lose water weight at first and become constipated. Many can lower or stop diuretics. Salt is recommended too but not if you have high blood pressure. Best to work with a doctor, hopefully one who supports low carb, before changing meds on your own.
Now there are nifty free websites and apps that help you keep track of what you eat. I use MyFitnessPal, others like FatSecret, or my PLAN here.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 15:14
Experimenter

BF:

I've finally gotten off the night time antihistamines. My back is doing well enough now I don't need NSAIDs. I am taking a muscle relaxant at night time from time to time though.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-13, 15:47

Plan: whole food
Stats: 178.2/155/149 Female 5'10.5
BF:
Progress: 79%

Well for the love of Pete! well, I don't love anyone named Pete but I do love my bf's dog Peter...sorta...I digress. Thank you so much for posting this!

I had just reached goal in April - went to Paris, walked a TON, kept relatively clean on diet but apparently walked away the cartilage in my knee and the pain has been constant since– enter multi-daily doses of Advil and Naproxin as well as Benadryl to get to sleep….AND 6 pounds. I have been making myself crazy trying to figure out why I would gain on eating the same food I’ve had consistently for the past year or more. On the suckatude side, I don’t see being able to go without these just now.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-12-15, 04:55

Dr Davis recently posted Drugs that Block Weight Loss....with generic and brand names. If weight loss is slow, check this list and discuss with your doctor possible alternatives, reducing dose, etc.

http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...ck-weight-loss/

Quote:

Another common cause for failed weight loss are prescription drugs and a few over-the-counter drugs. Among the common drugs that will block your ability to lose weight, even allowing weight gain, are:

Beta blockers—metoprolol, atenolol, carvedilol, and propranolol
Antidepressants—amitryptiline (Elavil), nortryptyline (Pamelor), doxepin, paroxetine (Paxil), and trazodone, and others
Steroids such as prednisone
Antihistamines—diphenhydramine (Benadryl), fexofenadine (Allegra), cetirizine (Zyrtec), cyproheptadine (Periactin) and others
Lyrica for fibromyalgia and pain
Valproic acid (Depakote) for seizures
Actos and Avandia for pre-diabetes and diabetes
Insulin—Injectable insulin can be responsible not just for failed weight loss, but astounding quantities of weight gain.
Drugs as common as antihistamines for allergies, or beta blockers for high blood pressure, will therefore completely booby-trap any effort at weight loss. The problem is not the diet; the problem is that you are exposed to a drug that blocks the physiologic capacity to lose weight. The solution is therefore not reducing calories, or more exercise, or going back to grains, but to get rid of the drug.

Note that many of these drugs were prescribed to treat conditions that were caused or worsened by wheat and grain consumption. It is therefore worth having a serious discussion with your healthcare provider about stopping or reducing your reliance on these drugs. Some drugs, such as beta blockers, cannot be stopped safely, but need to be reduced gradually to avoid a potentially dangerous withdrawal process. If your doctor refuses to discuss this issue, or is ignorant, find one who will discuss this important issue with you.

#12   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 10:01

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 240/202/175 Female 65 in
BF:too much tummy!
Progress: 58%

OMGosh...this post came at the perfect time for me...I gained 2-3 lbs this week and was wracking my brain trying to figure out what the heck I'd eaten to cause it and lo and behold, its the dang ibuprofen! I have chronic neck, upper back problems and usually I can manage them with ice but the past few days they've been screaming so I popped 4 ibuprofen a couple times a day. AARRRGGGHHH! Plus I also take lisinopril/hctz and generic Lipitor so CRAP, that's probably inhibiting my losses some too!
I go to the doc in July and was planning on having a chat about the Lipitor anyway, now gonna add the bp/diuretic to the convo too!
Thanks so much for this, I would have NEVER thought of the ibuprofen as the culprit!
Conni
  #13   ^
Old Tue, May-05-15, 10:30
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've finally gotten off the night time antihistamines. My back is doing well enough now I don't need NSAIDs. I am taking a muscle relaxant at night time from time to time though.

Ha! Those were the days. I'm back on both.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 03:41

Those WERE the days! Only five posts ago I was 62, now I'm 64...how the heck did that happen?

Conni, if You take an Advil, Don't weigh for a few days, guaranteed weight gain for me, thankfully temporary.

Please spend some time here on the General Health and Cholesterol forums reading back through threads...lots of helpful information to know before you talk to you doctor, e.g. Joint pain is a common side effect of statins. Here is a good collection of information on cholesterol and Nancy has an extensive list of articles on statins in her signature as well. Especially the information on statins and women (basically no benefit) and a good summary on BP from DietDoctor. http://www.dietdoctor.com/blood-pressure
Since a low carb diet is naturally diuretic, you also have to watch your dose of that depending how low "your LC plan" is.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, May-06-15 at 04:02.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 09:51

Plan: my own LC
Stats: 240/202/175 Female 65 in
BF:too much tummy!
Progress: 58%

Janet,
Thanks for the good info! I have read some of the statin/chol posts and will stock up on more info here before I go to the doctor.
As for my neck and shoulders, I've had this for 25 years or more but I have no doubt that the statin is probably not helping it.
I will say that almost immediately on starting this WOE most of my pain went away or lessened significantly. Carbs are the devil! lol
Conni