Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 00:08
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%
Default Asthma

I recently came down with this lovely disease, along with multiple chemical sensitivity. I'll take any and all advice.

I am very big hand washing and I no longer wash my hands at public restrooms because the fragrance I encounter in all public restrooms is sickening. Am I going to be sick all winter? I couldn't buy athletic shoes because I couldn't stand the rubber smell. I cannot stand cleaning products either. One day I couldn't stand the smell of my eye cream and had to roll down all the windows in the car, then I couldn't stand the smell of car exhaust.

I can barely stand to go to certain libraries, church, school, stores, fast food restaurants and am concerned about the next job I hope to get in chemistry or hospital lab work.

Is it socially acceptable to bring my 1 ft sq air purifier with me?

I take QVAR 80 (inhaled steroid), singulair, zyrtec, flonase and go weeks without using the rescue inhaler, weeks where I'm using it twice everyday. The air pollution in the world seems unrelenting to me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 09:44

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

After being vegetarian for ~25 yrs, getting all my protein from dairy, legumes & grains, I developed similar problems until I went fragrance-free, grain-free, dairy-free and then legume-free. It was at its worst when other allergens were around (pollen, hay, sap, pets, diesel fumes). Staying away from food and other allergens I was able to wean myself off all asthma meds and live with one allergen (21.5 yr old cat). If I eat some grains, dairy or legumes, my asthma symptoms return.

I hold my breath to pop down the laundry aisle to grab my fragrance-free detergent. The perfume of a previous book borrower can make it impossible to read a library book (not a problem with e-book loans) and I have to use antihistamines to recover from these rare events.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jul-17-17 at 19:10.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 09:53

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I used to take 3 asthma medications and could not get through spring and summer without antihistamines. Like Deirdra since becoming fragrance free, grain free, dairy free and legume free I have been able to stop taking all asthma medication and stop taking antihistamines.

My idea of hell on earth would be to be stuck on an airplane next to someone who douses themselves in perfume. I do not have my own washing machine and dryer. I have to use the machines in a common laundry room. Once I put my clothes in the dryer not realizing that someone had left a dryer sheet in the machine. When I took my clothes out after drying I got an almost immediate headache from the smell. I rewashed and dried all my clothes to get rid of it.

Jean
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 15:09
Registered Member

Misery loves company - I'm happy I'm not the only crazy!

That diet sounds rough but doable. I've gotten into some bad habits. Its worth a try. The medications are taking a real toll on my teeth, I've had oral candida for weeks and I still wheeze every time I leave my air purifier.

I was reading the vedic theory of asthma is that it from the digestive system.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 16:28

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by nawchem

That diet sounds rough but doable. I've gotten into some bad habits. Its worth a try. The medications are taking a real toll on my teeth, I've had oral candida for weeks and I still wheeze every time I leave my air purifier.

Asthma is rough. The diet is easy, once you commit to it.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jul-17-17, 20:58
Registered Member

Thanks Jean!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-24-17, 06:34

Plan: Under 100g net
Stats: 132/118.8/118 Female 65"
BF:18%
Progress: 94%

I have had asthma for the past six years. Cleaning products, strong scents, smoke, all of these things bother me. I don't use a rescue inhaler. I know what bothers me and stay away from these things or remove myself as fast as possible. You don't need to take a portable air purifier with you but if you can put it at work, might as well. I got off of the meds, I had three of them. Advair worked well. It becomes anxiety more than anything else. I don't know if diet affects asthma.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-05-17, 02:11
Registered Member

thanks for your reply Jen. I have been trying avoidance lately too. I haven't had to use the rescue inhaler all month. No asthma attacks from perfume, although it still smells really, really strong to me. I've been on advair and I really like it.

I'm happy you were able to leave the drugs behind you. The dr said in January I can give it a try since my lungs are working a lot better now.

I know what you mean about the anxiety. I put people into categories, I label the worst as criminal perfumers. Before I even smell anything I start inhaling shallowly because I think I won't be able to breath in a minute. Sometimes my labels are inaccurate.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-17, 21:19

Plan: none
Stats: 300/300/120 Female 4ft 10in
BF:
Progress:

I have Asthma and C.O.P.D Cleaning products, strong scents, smoke make me sick. I am now on O2 24/7 .
I take lots if Meds To keep me brething.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Dec-27-17, 17:51
Registered Member

Wow abigail that is a lot to deal with.