Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 07:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 165/140/130
BF:
Progress: 71%
Question Ate cake and still in ketosis?

Hi all,

Not that I'm complaining, but I'm curious as to why this happened. A few nights ago we had a very special dinner and a friend baked a cake which I really had to try so as to not be rude. I had maybe a forkful and a half (and I felt decadent, let me tell you!)

What I'm surprised about is that my ketostix are still registering the same amount of ketones as before, 12 and 24 hours after that cake. I'm still in the medium range (and I tested the stix with my mom so I know they don't "always" register medium.)

My questions:
*How long do ketones stick around in your body? Do I just have them stored up from my month on induction?
*If I am out of ketosis, I'd like to know it - how quickly do you all see a change in those stix, or in the way you feel?

Thanks in advance!

Petra
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jun-13-02, 13:02

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

You don't store ketones. They are discarded by the body through urine, breath and intestines right away. They are the material left over after fat is 'burned' for energy. In fact, we eliminate more ketones in the breath than any other way. The Atkins centre in NYC uses a breath analysis machine for accurate readings.

I'd guess you are just lucky or perhaps getting your reward for limiting yourself to that 1.5 forksful of cake. You probably didn't go over the limit that would elicit insulin production. But don't push your luck. If you had eaten 100 gm of carbs in cake, then you'd probably be out of ketosis the next day and it would take 2-4 days to get back. That's because your body has to use up the glucose in the blood stream and the glycogen in the muscles before it started to convert to glucogen production instead. And you might gain weight as carbs hold water in the cells and the intestines. so you got away with it [this time .
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-14-02, 19:58
Registered Member

Stats: 179/170/135
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Very few carbs

Hi Jinkster,

I'm guessing that 1.5 forkfuls of cake would have held too few carbs to make a significant difference to Ketosis, which would be why your sticks showed the same colour.

VERY slight deviations (which I'm not advocating) don't cause much of a propblem in terms of Ketosis. The thing to consider (I think) is reactivating sugar cravings which might lead to worse straying from 'the path'. Heavy eh?

So don't panic, it all makes sense.

Cheerio,

Zebidee
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 09:11

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 82/68/59 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

Well...I know this is an ancient thread but this just happened to me! I was in ketosis (after 2 days on the fat fast...no recommended here I KNOW...but it works for me) --> and then my dad came over with a cake he made. A kind of sponge/cookie/icing thing. I had two pieces!
I then went for a 1hr run, and 1hr body pump session about 2 hours after eating the cake.
I tested myself now (6hours or so later) --> and I'm STILL in ketosis [albeit mild].

Very odd. Good....but odd. Is it possible it was due to the exercise? That the insulin surge didn't kick in? Or will I perhaps get bumped out by tomorrow morning?

A tad confused.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-25-08, 10:06
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by enolf
Well...I know this is an ancient thread but this just happened to me! I was in ketosis (after 2 days on the fat fast...no recommended here I KNOW...but it works for me) --> and then my dad came over with a cake he made. A kind of sponge/cookie/icing thing. I had two pieces!
I then went for a 1hr run, and 1hr body pump session about 2 hours after eating the cake.
I tested myself now (6hours or so later) --> and I'm STILL in ketosis [albeit mild].

Very odd. Good....but odd. Is it possible it was due to the exercise? That the insulin surge didn't kick in? Or will I perhaps get bumped out by tomorrow morning?

A tad confused.

Hello and Welcome!

Even if you are still in ketosis, eating 2 pieces of cake and then working out to get rid of it is kinda poor thinking, ya know? Some would call that exercise bulemia.

It would be better for you to avoid eating white flour and sugar in general as you go through this process and beyond. It takes my body 3 days of eating clean to get rid of flour and or sugars.

Did you Dad know that you are eating this way?
Good luck!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 05:43

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 82/68/59 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress:

hiya,

oh - I do 2hours of exercise normally. It wasn't just to get rid of the cake

but yes...it's deifnitely better to stay 'clean' consistently...but that cake was a little too tempting!
[I don't see him that often so I let it go]

#7   ^
Old Wed, May-28-08, 08:11
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Me thinks if you left the cake alone you wouldn't be needing to do the fat fast.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-17, 12:05

Plan: keto
Stats: 278/239/220 Male 6'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Same thing happened to me

Yesterday, after being on a Keto diet for two weeks, along with intermittent fasting, I broke down and had some of the treats I had bought for a Christmas get together. I had a whole mini stolen, one lebkuchen, six chocolates and six shortbread cookies. That was after I had had a bag of pepperoni slices , a bowl of tomato soup that I had made from pizza sauce and heavy cream.I topped off the soup with shredded pizza cheese . I have also just started going to the gym recently.

I was sure that I would be out of Ketosis this morning but I am still in the mid range, medium purple. Not even pink on the urine strip, but purple. There are a couple things I think might have helped me maintain Ketosis. One is that I have been working out and fasting 24 hours every day, with a keto meal before bed. So my muscle glycogen stores probably filled before my liver stores did. Another thing is that I have been making " magnesium water" by adding three table spoons of unflavored magnesium hydroxide (milk of magnesia) to one liter of water and carbonizing it in a soda stream machine. This converts the magnesium hydroxide to magnesium bicarbonate. Magnesium hydroxide is a laxative that you don't absorb. Magnesium bicarbonate is readily absorbed by the body. A search on the internet concerning magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance will show a study which draws a strong correlation and probably causative relationship between magnesium deficiency and insulin resistance. Carbs may be a much greater problem to the human body when it is magnesium deficient. Out food today has much less magnesium due to high yield strains of crops and most people are magnesium deficient. Could it be that raising the bodies levels of magnesium makes them much more able to handle carbs?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-17, 19:34

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

I usually observer an out of phase measurement of ketones expressed in breath (acetone). I've been doing some interesting experiments with periodic high carb intake and notice that my "ketones" actually go up. I'm reading a bit more and it might be that I'm also ingesting a lot of fat with those carbs and might be creating what are called exogenous ketones - hard to say really I"m still trying to work it out.

I've recorded net carbs and ketones for quite a while you can check here if interested http://downhaul.com/lowcarb/daily.txt

Not sure about mag water, I've used dr. davis' method too. not so much lately, I doubt having high mag levels will allow you to handle extra carbs but who knows. Try it for awhile and see!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Dec-21-17, 23:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:

The stats you have keep are an amazing record of your journey thud!
Thank you for sharing!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 06:22

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Thank Meme, I should also point out to Axel83 that this experimentation started AFTER 2 solid years of of LCHF - not eating GPS - Grains, Potato and Sugar at any point during that period. Experiment at your own risk.

I'm in the process of trying to find out how my body reacts to different kind of input and classifying these. So far some suspicions are being confirmed, I seem to be, dermis wise, sensitive to PUFA oils and nuts - well shit - those are moving to the "abstain" list.

Also, except to gain some weight if you start introducing carbs It just seems to be the way it goes. Good Luck in your experiment Axel.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 09:57

BF:

Maybe trying a prescribed group of clean carbs if there is such a thing. What I mean is, maybe a 1/2 cup of rice or 1/2 a sweet potato(with butter) but no breads, pasta or sugary foods?
Yes, but after two solid years of low carbing like Thud, not on week three! Ha

Last edited by Meme#1 : Fri, Dec-22-17 at 10:41.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 10:06

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Ketones aren't the only important measurement. The junk food you ate is still junk food and doing your body no good. They are inflammatory foods that it is best to avoid. To me it just seems like a bad idea to eat them. Better to just avoid, no matter what your ketone sticks says.

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Dec-22-17, 10:46

BF:

It's was not funny that over Thanksgiving on my cruise I did eat a piece of bread at dinner one night. It didn't take long for all of the ill effects to hit me all night long. I had to sleep sitting up on several pillows to stop the acid reflux directly caused by the bread I ate. If that wasn't cause and effect I don't know what is!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-25-17, 14:00

Plan: ≤ 20 carbs & IF
Stats: 292/235/170 Male 72 Inches
BF:
Progress: 47%

Usually when I cheat I CHEAT, (I don't do anything half way....), and from that experience, usually just one meal, (something like pigging out on sushi or having a fast food burger with evil coke and fries...) it turns my keto strips pink for a couple days. Rest of the time they pretty much stay purple.