Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-18-13, 16:01
Registered Member

Plan: LC/CO
Stats: 24/22/14 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 20%
Default Anyone else need to start out slow?

For me it's (shamefully) very slow. Being so over weight and under fit has taken its toll, but I must start getting exercise. Today I walked for 20 minutes and pushed myself through it. I kept thinking, oh heck 5 minutes is good enough.. then, ok 10 minutes is great time to rest.. But I just kept going until the 20 min. alarm sounded.

Is anyone else just starting out?

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-13, 06:50
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

I did when I was at my heaviest I painted the house as a form of exercises. As I lost and I started Dr. B's plan, I weight lifted and could barely ride the bike with how bad my knees where. I was only weightlifting 3 times a week with a 40 second bike interval imbetween 3 exercises. then I added tai chi 2 times a week.

Now I am doing a bike/stomach circuit 3 times a week for 30 minutes. And a weightlifting circuit 2 times a week with the bike as a interval.

So don't feel bad, know how to push yourself a little harder but not too hard that it discourages you from doing it.

I would start out at a comfortable pace/incline on the treadmill (I am assuming that is what you are doing), something that you can complete comfortably in 20 minutes. You know you got a work out but nothing that is extremely exhausting. Doing that for 1/2 weeks. Then from that base line I would do that speed on warm up for 5 minutes, increase speed/incline for the next 10 minutes so it is a challenge but not a drop dead challenge, then go back to a speed/incline in between the 1st and 2nd speed for the next 5 minutes.

Basically, what i have learned is build up your work out instead of always trying to go full blown.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-13, 10:13
Registered Member

BF:

Good advice, lovinita And may I say that you are awesome? You really inspire me!!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-13, 19:06
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%

Thanks nj, that is sweet of you

You know just remember, don't beat yourself up. because if you stick with it, you will eventually get it. And exercising will become easier and easier. You just don't want to over do it to the point you eventually give up. Or you feel like you aren't achieving anything in the beginning. Set some small goals, attainable goals, not what society or the world thinks. Make them a little bit difficult and work towards them.

Then remember to celebrate! You have to celebrate your accomplishments. Whether it is walking on a 3.5 MPH for 10 minutes. Or doing the entire session at incline level 2. Or loosing 10-20 pounds. Or being able to run up the stairs. Or being able to kneel on the floor. Whatever floats your boat but celebrate it and be happy with your success.

And when you are feeling down remind yourself what you accomplished. You know I gained for the 1st time .75 pounds a couple weeks ago. you know what I did, I went out and bought new clothes for the 90 pounds I had lost. To remind myself I have come so far.

It helps to celebrate and set all those mini goals. Because as you do you will eventually reach you major goal of 180!

I highly recommend keeping an old shirt or pair of pants of your bigger you. So you can put them on every once and a while and remember how big you were and how much you have lost.

I also recommend what other recommended to me taking pictures every 10-20 pounds.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-13, 19:55
Registered Member

BF:

I took a before shot but figured on the next after I'm down 50 pounds.. why 50 I have no idea but I think you're right and will snap a pic every 20 lbs. Right now I just can't stand the way I look so I avoid having pictures taken. I will also keep a set of before clothes, it's a good idea, thanks!