Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 12:43

Plan: IF/VLC
Stats: 258/219/145 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 35%
Default Why going off plan doesn't work for special events...

I've been LCing for over a year, with minimal success. I guess the minimal success part is why I thought breaking the plan would be OK for a few days.

My brother got married yesterday.

This is a picture of my life on Wednesday:

I offered to make anything the bride wanted for her bachelorette party that I was going to host for her on Thursday. After several months of careful eating, I thought it was a kind gesture. She wanted fresh baked bread, chocolate chip cookies, brownies and pudding shots made with Bailey's Irish cream.

I went shopping for all of these things and set out to prepare them. While the cookies were in the oven, I thought about the rest of the week and how awkward LC was going to be.

Thursday was the bachorette party for which I was providing the food for, so no big deal there. The big deal was going to be the bar-hopping after dinner. I'd have to be difficult with every round, asking for a shot of something that wasn't Schnapps, turning down tropical drinks with umbrellas and avoiding eating any food at the inevitable fourthmeal stop at Taco Bell late into the night.

Friday was the rehearsal dinner. It had been previously scheduled at a local mom-and-pop place for months, which I thought was going to be easy to work around. At the last minute, the location was moved the Olive Garden.

Saturday was the actual wedding and the plan was to go to the salon early for hair and makeup. Lunch was to be sub sandwiches that the salon special orders in for such occasions.

The limo ride after the ceremony was preplanned with Moscato champagne (icky sweet) or beer.

The wedding meal was to be typical wedding fare: meats and green beans sopping in carby sauces, potatoes with gravy, mountains of bread, carb-loaded salads and a fruit platter with a chocolate fountain.

Cake. The bride and groomed shopped for cake for weeks. They chose one heck of a local cake expert. Each tier was a different gourmet flavor that the couple had picked out.

Sunday morning brunch. This is an after-party event where the newly married couple open their gifts, while all the close family members eat more carby salads, fresh fruits, sandwiches, etc.

Booze. This was my big justification. If I planned on drinking for three events over the course of three days, would I really be in ketosis? It would seem as though I'd barely recuperate from the first event before pouring myself another glass at the next.

So I did it... I decided to break my diet. I did so on Wednesday night by having a sample of the baked goods that I made.

On Thursday, I didn't go overboard with food... I had a single slice of rye bread for a sandwich, a corn tortilla taco shell at lunch, a bit of (non-sweetened) fruit salad, a few of those pudding shots, a chocolate cherry martini and a slightly more sweet wine than I would drink normally. I avoided the "fourthmeal". I thought I'd done pretty well for myself considering the damage I could have done.

On Friday, I ate leftover sandwich stuff and had a white bun bread. In the afternoon, I was hungry again so I grabbed a few hand fulls of some chex mix that was leftover from the party. I also munched on about a half-pound of raw carrots because this is one vegetable I truly miss LCing and felt it was a worthy cheat. By the time the rehearsal dinner came around, I was starving in a way unfamiliar to me. I was totally obsessed with food; I couldn't concentrate on the instructions for the ceremony, even.

The outfit I'd picked out for the dinner didn't fit; I got the pants on but couldn't sit down comfortably.

These large event things always take a while for food and unfortunately the Olive Garden makes up for this with never-ending garlic breadsticks fresh out of the oven. I ate 4 of them and then ate just the chicken out of the chicken alfredo because the pasta wasn't very good at all. I didn't have any alcoholic beverages as planned that night. I went home and went to bed hungry despite eating a reasonable amount of food. Normally, the chicken alone, alongside a few veggies, could get me through to bed without feeling hungry at all.

On Saturday morning, I woke up bloated and puffy from what I assume was a triple hit on my body... 1, PMS water retention, 2, going off plan water retention and 3, a jolt of salt from processed foods that my body is no longer accustomed to. It was so bad that my eyes only opened as slits; it was painful to flex my fingers and toes. I drank 32 ounces of water, 2 cups of coffee, took a dose of Midol (because it has diuretics) and put cucumber over my eyes before going into the salon and when I got there, the cosmetician commented that I was "super puffy" and had a difficult time applying makeup on me.

I didn't want to overdo lunch at the salon, so I ate 1/3 of a foot long sub. This was a stupid mistake; my sugar crashed during the wedding ceremony.

My dress, luckily, ran a little large so it did fit me, but my shoes were hell. It didn't help that we spent two hours in a church without AC in 90+ heat. My feet were so swollen that the tops of them hung over the tops of my shoes like a fat belly over a pair of pants that are too tight. Between the foot pain and the sugar crash, I felt faint through most of the ceremony.

When the bride saw the deep ridges caused by my shoes, she insisted that I keep them off and wear the flip flops I'd worn to the salon that morning. So yeah, I bounced into the reception hall a mess... a sugar-crashed mess in a formal dress with stupid flip flops on.

The dinner meal was fairly good and I enjoyed being off plan for it. I got a plate full of reasonable portions. I avoided the fruit and chocolate fountain. The problem was that I think I spent more time watching the buffet than I did mingling with people. I was obsessed with the idea of getting a second plate full (I didn't) and felt a little panicked when the caterers started packing things up.

Every sip of (dry) Merlot I drank made me more aware of my food cravings.

When cake time came, I enjoyed two pieces of two different gourmet flavors. I had to stop myself from going for a third.

Again, I went to bed starving, thinking about food.

This morning I woke up so puffy and bloated that I couldn't even attend the morning-after brunch. My eyes were slits once again. The clothes I'd bought for the event squeezed me. I don't feel right today and it's NOT from drinking wine (I had 3 glasses over a 5 hour period).

I am up 14 pounds. Presumably, most of this is from water retention. I feel bloated and gross. I have awful gas. I just nasty just being alive. And mostly, I feel hungry.

My plan today was to get back into LCing by fasting until dinner, and then eating induction-friendly meals for a few days to induce ketosis. I only made it to 1 pm before I broke down and made myself (LC) lunch. Now I am in the state of having eaten but feeling so hungry I could just crawl out of my skin.

I felt I had a lot of reasons to justify going off plan, the biggest being that I am only mildly successful at LCing. I don't seem to have the massive weight losses that others enjoy. I've lost and gained the same ten pounds for a year.

The thing is, there are just too many positives to eating LC that surpass weight loss. I've now learned my lesson. There's nothing worth breaking plan for. Nothing. I'd much rather be the one at the dinner that has to special order and turn down desserts and sweet cocktails.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 12:51
Princess PIA

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 210/176.6/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

***Hugs***

The toxins will leave the building...just stick to plan.

If nothing else...you have learned a valuable lesson on the effects of a low-carb lifestyle.

If you don't mind...I do believe I will learn from your mistake.

It makes me glad that I passed up the ice cream my husband offered to bring home last night.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 12:55

BF:

Sheri-

Thanks!

I posted because I think sometimes we take going off plan a little too casually.

I could easily tell myself that one more day won't hurt and make myself more cookies, or have some of the kids' ice cream from the freezer. I feel like a junkie that won't rest until I get my next hit.

I hope that it helps others. I wanted to also organize my thoughts enough to post so that I don't make this mistake again!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 13:19

Plan: Atkins OWL
Stats: 220/196/140 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 30%

You poor thing. You must feel awful. I am really shocked how quickly those Ibs went back on though when you did break the plan- especially after LC for a year. Out of interest what stage of Lc were you at before deciding to go off plan? It's a lesson to me to build up carb intake gradually if I know that there is a special event coming up.

Don't fret about it. Your doing the right thing to get back on track . You will have lost those 14ibs in no time.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 15:51
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

It sounds like you might have some food intolerances too. Maybe gluten?

Yeah, it can be pretty frightening how quickly everything bloats up when you stray off course.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 15:53
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Day-um.

That was'nt going casually off plan, that was a full blown, face first carb orgy.

When I think of going off plan for an event, it's one meal. Live and learn on that one.

The thing that sticks out to me in your entire post, is that you've gone from 258 to 219. Why do you define that as "minimally sucessful"? to judge your weight loss against what others are achieving is a set-up for failure. This is YOUR journey, not "X's" journey. Just because it's slow doesn't mean it's not working.

Quote:
The thing is, there are just too many positives to eating LC that surpass weight loss. I've now learned my lesson. There's nothing worth breaking plan for. Nothing. I'd much rather be the one at the dinner that has to special order and turn down desserts and sweet cocktails.

Hopefully now you'll really take this to heart.

PS--you want to know something....being the one to special order dinner or turn down dessert really isn't such a big deal...except in your own mind

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 16:26
A Work in Progress

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242.8/235.8/175 Female 5'7"
BF:00/00/00
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jenn*

AMEN

carmen
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 16:55

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa
PS--you want to know something....being the one to special order dinner or turn down dessert really isn't such a big deal...except in your own mind

Amen to this! I don't know how many people are jeopardizing their health because they don't want to be "that person."

But going in, I was always "that person." My boss wanted to go to a famous sub shop; I ate the innards of my sandwich. We went to a pizza parlor to celebrate a training session; I had an antipasto. I went to a barbeque; I brought my own low carb salad to share and skipped the buns.

So what? Are we afraid of saying we're special? I'm not.

I'm special.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 19:29

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 307/197.1/162 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Do you know what is worse than having a cheat day? Not enjoying it.

Don't beat yourself up over this. Many of us take a meal or day off for special reasons, and yes, we feel the effects the next day. The trick is not plan too many cheat days, and don't worry about it if they happen.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 19:46
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 136/129/115 Female 61.5"
BF:26%/22%/21.7%
Progress: 33%

Well, I benefited from your story as a cautionary tale, and you told it in a way that made me chuckle, even though it sounds awful for you. You're a good writer.

Some of that 15 lbs. is water weight, so it will come off quickly. I went to a family reunion a few weeks ago and the combination of 1 cup of homemade mac and cheese (I admit, it was to die for) with cheesecake for dessert put me up 2 lbs. overnight. I lost 1.5 of them, but it took me a week to do it.

I've been reading Chris Masterjohn's series on the Masai tribe in Kenya, and one thing that struck me is just how powerful a force the expectations of other people can be - on diet, and just about everything else.

That is, if we let allow them to be powerful. Sending some encouragement your way.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-11, 20:00
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I'm surprised you didn't have a banger hangover

I'd be hanging in the toilet after that!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-11, 06:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

It is an excellent lesson you have shared; just as our new bodies don't fit our old clothes; our "old foods" don't have the same effect on our new bodies.

Some people find that frightening; they need to trust that they will find new stuff that is just as enjoyable as the old stuff.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-11, 10:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 254/215/150 Female 64"
BF:C198/T126/H53/L120
Progress: 38%

WOW, thats insane. Serious inflammation. It will pass.

And whats with these 7 day wedding things? What are we in tribal lands? What the hell is wrong with Wedding and reception-end of story!I dont even think the will and Kate's festivities lasted that long.

But next time, think of this-if you were allergic to something, gluten, nuts, WHATEVER, or vegan, you wouldnt hesitate to ask for a special meal, would you? If I eat off plan, it just knocks me out of ketosis for a little while, I dont get the bloats like that. CLEARLY carbs affect you in a very negative manner. YOU HAVE SPECIAL DIETARY NEEDS and dont discount your needs as unimportant. You sound like you were really miserable during a period of what was supposed to be way fun. You are totally worth it!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-11, 10:48

Plan: Dukan and now Atkins
Stats: 132/124/120 Female 161 cm
BF:22%
Progress: 67%

I really felt for you when I read your post. I can honestly say that I will and indeed have learned from your lesson. The puffiness and pain both physical and mental are simply not worth it. I am sure that the 14lbs you have gained will disappear as soon as they appeared as long as you jumb straight back on to the LC wagon. Please promise that you will. Don't do any fasting or such like, simply do Atkins Induction or whatever LC regime you follow, for a couple of weeks and you will be well sorted.

Cheers, Ann
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Aug-01-11, 19:41

BF:

Thank you all for the replies!

I am back on the wagon and 2-3 pounds of the water weight has disappeared. I don't think I am in ketosis just yet because I am eating like mad, just making good choices. There's no way I wouldn't get back on the wagon... being off is far too miserable!

Thank you Lacey, for the comment on the writing.

Scthgharpy - I dunno. I was a bridesmaid and my husband a groomsman. The first bachelor party was in May in Vegas and then the second the weekend before the wedding. The night before the wedding, the guys spent the evening playing cornhole drinking beer. The morning of the wedding, he had to meet everyone for breakfast. I had all of the above duties, plus attended a bridal shower, went to every dress fitting, helped shop for a bridal parlor. It's been a very long ten months of engagement and wedding planning. Since this is the confession booth, I'll admit that I am happy it's over so I can have my life back. (A month ago it took everything I had in me to NOT grab the bride by the shoulders, shake, and scream, "I AM DONE TALKING ABOUT WEDDING STUFF NOW!" I am already planting the idea in my daughter's head that eloping is awesomely romantic