Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-04-10, 08:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 182.4/175.8/130 Female 63 in
BF:
Progress: 13%
Talking Dear Porkrinds

Dear Porkrinds,

I truly truly wish that I could learn to love you. After years and years of low fat, low cal, and freaking out in general that you are SKIN, I just can't seem to get on the ban-wagon. You're crunchy and smokey and a part of me thinks that I could like you, but my brain still screams "OMG WHAT ARE YOU THINKING??? Nooooooo!!"

Maybe it's like eating any new food, sometimes you have to eat it several times before your palate can adjust and begin to enjoy?

I'm in love with your Cousin - Bacon - but my eye's keep wandering back to you, dear crunchy rinds. Perhaps someday... we can be together.

Your's truly and with a longing to crunch something other than veggies,

- Gringa
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 10:24

Plan: Chicken. Meat. Eggs.
Stats: 472/437.6/250 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 15%

Haha.. your post made me laugh

I like pork rinds but I don't think they agree with me.. My body hates food that has a lot of sodium in them, so I don't eat them.

I like its cousin bacon, too, from time to time as well!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-13-10, 11:16

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hi Lindy:

Have your tried the cinn crisps made with pork rinds? They are kinda like the cinn twists at Taco Bell, I really like them.

This is what I do:

1 to 2 tbs butter, sprinkle of cinn, 1 pack of equal or splenda, melt in micro and pour over the top serving of pork rinds, mix and enjoy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 22:25

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 282/266.2/174 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringamajig
Hi Lindy:

Have your tried the cinn crisps made with pork rinds? They are kinda like the cinn twists at Taco Bell, I really like them.

This is what I do:

1 to 2 tbs butter, sprinkle of cinn, 1 pack of equal or splenda, melt in micro and pour over the top serving of pork rinds, mix and enjoy.

I was craving Cinna-rinds so I whipped up a batch. I don't do the melted butter thing. I heat the whole bag in the microwave just to make the pork rinds warm. I then open up the bag add 1/4 cup splenda with 1 tsp of cinnamon. Seal the bag and shake. Yummmm
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-15-10, 22:46

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

It took me a while to get used to them too. I was like "Pork skin...." Then I realized I eat a lot of weird things so pork rinds are pretty normal in comparison to some of the other things I eat. I just kinda pretend it isn't skin and go about my merry way. I always wonder if the person working the check out at the grocery store thinks I am weird. I don't know anyone who eats them lol.

I love them as a replacement for chips. Dipping them into a dip or just cream cheese. I don't miss chips anymore!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-16-10, 04:43

BF:

Ladies I HAVE tried the Cinn-rinds! They weren't that bad but I could still taste the smoke and my brain kept fighting me I think next time I just need to use MORE butter and splenda and cinnamin!

I'll admit I did buy a bag of BBQ rinds the other day after reading about them here and somehow they were a lot more tolerable! Or, maybe it's that they're growing on me, but I'm sticking with them for now! It's that neeeedddd for CRUNCH that I can't get from a veggie no matter how hard I try that has me coming back.

LMAO they say that if you want to train yourself to like certain veggies that you just need to keep making yourself eat them over and over a little bit at a time till your brain adjusts - and while I have no problem with veggies - perhaps I can do this with the Pork skins
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-21-10, 09:08

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

Coat strips of chicken in egg, then dip them in crushed pork rinds. Cook and enjoy. This is how I love pork rinds. It's tastes good for Calamari too.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 02:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_K
Coat strips of chicken in egg, then dip them in crushed pork rinds. Cook and enjoy. This is how I love pork rinds. It's tastes good for Calamari too.

Oh UMmmmmmmy David! Thank You for sharing, I'm SO going to put it on shrimp and FISH!! CRUNCHY FISH again! YYAYYY!! And this way it won't be all about the pork skin flavor. Awesome
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jul-23-10, 09:16

Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%

I kind of forgot porkrinds were out there for us and added them in my diet recently. For some reason now I am eatting too much of everything - I don't know if the crunch is making me want more food, but I think I'm going to back off for a while.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 03:24

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovegirl
I kind of forgot porkrinds were out there for us and added them in my diet recently. For some reason now I am eatting too much of everything - I don't know if the crunch is making me want more food, but I think I'm going to back off for a while.

Maybe it triggered a "JUNK FOOD" thing in you and got you all wound up. I mean - they ARE kind of - well really - junk food - lol, just junk food that's allowed Good luck getting back on track!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jul-24-10, 17:06

Plan:
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindystar
Oh UMmmmmmmy David! Thank You for sharing, I'm SO going to put it on shrimp and FISH!! CRUNCHY FISH again! YYAYYY!! And this way it won't be all about the pork skin flavor. Awesome

I had some fish coated with it the other day with a little tiny bit of soy flour as well and it was sooooo damned good! I am someone who loves the taste and especially texture of fish sticks which this seems to emulate very well. I had it with some broccoli and a little bit of LC Heinz Ketchup. Since finding the joys of pork rind crunchy stuff, I am much more satisfied with my LC stuff.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 02:03

BF:

David - LOL I like fish sticks too! Maybe we should smush up our fish and pat it into rectangles like the real thing ;D And Ooo yay! I've got some soy flour that I've been trying to figure out something to DO with! I bought a bag before reading the forum posts on it and then realized that most people seem to hate it! I haven't even opened it yet (silly) so now I've got a reason. I'm thinking about doing this on shrimp too. Mmmmmm Crunchy fried shrimp AND coconut shrimp! EEEEE!!!!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jul-25-10, 17:59

Plan:
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindystar
David - LOL I like fish sticks too! Maybe we should smush up our fish and pat it into rectangles like the real thing ;D And Ooo yay! I've got some soy flour that I've been trying to figure out something to DO with! I bought a bag before reading the forum posts on it and then realized that most people seem to hate it! I haven't even opened it yet (silly) so now I've got a reason. I'm thinking about doing this on shrimp too. Mmmmmm Crunchy fried shrimp AND coconut shrimp! EEEEE!!!!

Calamari and shrimp was the first thing I thought to use this with other than chicken. They're a real treat to those who love coated, crunchy seafood.

I also mixed some LC ketchup with a little bit of chili paste and it was delicious for dipping them in.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jul-26-10, 10:03

Plan:
BF:

Oh yeah, one other thing I had was pork rind pancakes. Found the recipe on here and it was surprisingly very good. It tasted a lot like French Toast if I remember correctly.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-30-10, 00:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_K
Oh yeah, one other thing I had was pork rind pancakes. Found the recipe on here and it was surprisingly very good. It tasted a lot like French Toast if I remember correctly.

Oh man I was really wondering about that one!! Lol if you say it's good then I'm soooo gonna have to try it!