Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:01

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%
Question Desperately needing help calculating daily protein requirements

2 days ago I calculated my daily protein requirements for PP using the info in chapters 4 and 5 of the book. The meal portions seem to be sooooooooo big. I calculated 34 grams protein per meal, and have been eating that for 2 days.

I've just re-read the stuff and think I have made a huge calculation error., as in that is double what I should be having.

My lean body mass is 106.4 (total weight 190 , 44% body fat, therefore lean mass = 190-(190x.44) = 106.4

106.4 x Sedentary value of 0.5 = 53.2 or approx 54 grams of protein per day.

54/3 = 18 grams per meal 18 grams is about 2.5 oz of protein is what I think the new correct number should be.

I desperately need a sanity check on the calculations. So far eating what looks like double my protein hasn't hurt, cuz the water weight is still dropping, but if I am waaaaaaaaaaay off, I need to know so I can remeasure my protein allotments for tomorrow.

Wow, this stuff is confusing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:18
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

60 grams protein per day, or 20g per meal is the bare minimum requirement. YOu should strive to have at least that amount, and more is perfectly ok. (That's why the charts in PP don't go below 20g per meal)

If you read the formula for calculating the protein requirement, at the bottom of page 93, you'll see where it says that if you're 40% or more above your ideal weight you should go up to the next requirement level, because of the increased metabolic requirement of lugging around that extra weight.

So, bare minimum 60g per day, 20g per meal .. Don't forget that you may have protein snacks too, so that will help you get in your daily total.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 16:23
Don't dream it be it

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 292.4/272.0/165 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%

Sorry I can't help you with all the math, I loaned my new Protein Power book out today. According to my old math pages, the numbers do seem to come out to 53.2, though I thought that everyone needed at least 60 grams of protein a day just for minimums. More protein shouldn't hurt you. I would have trouble if I was trying to eat only 2 1/2 oz. of meat for a meal, I have at least 6 and sometimes more.

Elihnig
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 17:29

Thanks for the help.

The lower number seemed low, but the doubled amount was almost more than what I could handle in one meal. I've been re-reading the chapter, and am comfy with the fact that the numbers are minimums, and it's better to be more than less.

*LOL* I had smoked salmon, spread with a thin layer of cream cheese, with asparagus spears, rolled up in a lettuce leaf for breakfast today. It was DELICIOUS, but according to my wrong DOUBLED amount, it was supposed to be the whole package of smoked salmon. ( I halfed it) That gets a bit expensive. I now have a wonderful alternative to the frequent bagel and cream cheese that was my morning staple.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 17:43

Plan: Dr. R. Atkins
Stats: 325/?????/170
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Thanks for responding to me!

AngelaR:

Hi it's A thin me. Thanks for responding to my bad day. I am glad that you got your issue straighted out. Believe me, I understand the frustration!!

Could you please give me some examples of what it is you said I should eat? I am doing Atkins and you are doing PP - are the programs the same? I would love some ideas.

Saw your lox breakfast - the spears were the fresh or canned?
And this is something I can do quickly, too in the morning if I have to work. Any other ideas?

I am going to make the Mock McMuffins tonight, and freeze for those harried mornings. They sound good and easy.

Thanks again for responding and look forward to seeing what you are eating.

A Thin Me
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-07-01, 20:08

Thin,

No probs on responding to your bad day. One day my turn will come and I'll need a hug.

The asparagus spears were fresh, steamed the night before. I bought 2 bunches, counted them out for my dinner, for in the morning, and my husbands portion. Then I served mine first, took away my morning portion, and left him to deal with the rest.

AS for what to eat, it seems to vary by plan. I have't read the Atkins plan, just the review, and the PP one seemed more comfy for me. Study your Atkins book. Keep re-reading the important part. It's surprising how much you pick up each time your re-read something.

AS for tips..I have a basic lazy approach. I hate cooking. I love veggies, fresh ones, preferabbly home grown (so can hardly wait until summer)

I go for simple. Avoid all the obvious carb foods...the charts are eye opening. I've made a Bad guys list and stuck it on the fridge. Nothing on the list is going in my mouth until I understand if, when and how it can be incorporated.

I also stick to simple meals. Some kind of meat, some kind of fresh steamed veggies (counting the carbs) and usually a salad. It's way easier to count the carbs that way. There's no way right now I have the energy to figure out the total carbs in a fancy dish made up of more than 3 ingredients. I have also started using a lettuce leaf or par boiled cabbage leaf in place of a pita or flatbread. Stuffit full of goodies, roll it u p cabbage roll style, eat it cold, eat it hot, put sugar fee salsa or cheese on top and nuke it for a bit. (I'm going to try doing LC tacos this way later this week..inside a cabbage leaf instead of a taco shell. A couple of cabbage leaves are very low in carb 3 or 4 if 2 leaves is 1 cup.

I still cook the same for my hubby..he has his bread and potatoes or pasta or Kraft dinner. I have more veggies and we eat more salads.. He has more leftovers.

Water is important. I find it easier at room temperature instead of ice cold..

Check out the recipe forum for some really interesting ideas, especially the snacks!!!!
I'm starting to keep track of the simple things I make so I can reuse them. Once I have a few together, I'd be happy to share them. *LOL* LCing for people who hate to cook...3 ingredients in a dish is 2 too many as far as I'm concerned. Well not quite, but we are both very plain and simple eaters.. It's probably way too plain for a lot of people, but it works for me now so I'm sticking with it.