Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#2821   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 07:21

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 384/142/135 Female 5 ' 5 1/2 "
BF:
Progress: 97%

Tmajic- no, I don't work. I was going to take a part time job at my kids school last fall, but turned it down because I knew I wouldn't be able to get my workous in. One of my running friends took the job, and she hasn't been happy with her workouts. My dh is so sweet, he says my workouts are my job! He likes having a fit wife. So, ya just have to do the best you can. I'm just at a good point in my life, some of my kids have left home already and the two that are home can fend for themselves if I need to go for a run when they're not in school.

I had a great run with the girls yesterday. We ran 3 miles down hills, and then ran back up them. I'm usually in the back of the group, and I was in the front with one of my fast friends, and I ran all the way up! That was such a high, then my friend and I turned and ran back down to meet the other girls then ran back up with them. I think I'm still on a high from that run! I had a great pool workout this morning, my arms are feeling it!
Sponsored Links
  #2822   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins-induction
Stats: 177/177/150 Female 5-5
BF:
Progress: 0%

songberrie
Thanks, for some reason it makes me feel better!! LOL Good for you and since I work less in the summer I do seem to have better workouts then...but I really need them now!!
  #2823   ^
Old Thu, Jan-11-07, 09:55
Taking MY Turn

Plan: Intuitive Eating
Stats: 240/220.8/190 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmajic
songberrie
Thanks, for some reason it makes me feel better!! LOL Good for you and since I work less in the summer I do seem to have better workouts then...but I really need them now!!

I know, Songberrie is amazing isn't she? I'm in awe of her workouts!

For me, I'm lucky that I work FROM home in some respects...in other respects, it's harder. I essentially never leave work and the stress level is incredible. It does allow me to schedule working out in a flexible manner, but the time I have to do it is inconsistent. Right now is a good time of year because we're not in our busy season. Ask me about this when the spring hits! But in the meantime I'm just trying to create some good habits that will hopefully hold me all year long!!
  #2824   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 07:18

BF:

Did you ever watch Extreme Makeover? The fitness guy they had on there was amazing! He could really shape bodies in less time then you'd think. He helped a woman firm her tush in just six weeks! You could see the difference. His name is Michael Thurman. He has a diet and exercise plan that's reall good. He does a different diet depending on your body type, so he does low carb type diet as one of them. Anyhoo, he has a great fitness plan for busy people.

I got my muscle workout in at the gym this morning. Afer I get everyone to school I'm going for a short run. Nothing fun, just flat. I'll do about 3 miles. I'm suppost to take it easy today because my race is tomorrow.

I'm looking forward to my run Monday, it's going to be a long one, over 20miles. I need to start training for my 50k (32 mile) next month.

Well, have a good weekend and good workouts!
  #2825   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 10:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for allowing me to "listen in". I just recieved my PP book and started to read it last nite. I have already read Atkins, and Hellers books so I took the liberty of jumping to the end and reading his plan....it seems a little dated as he sends you to Canada to get splenda, but I get the picture..so tell me how many of you buy free range meats and organic veggies? Because I honestly can't afford to shop that way...I will stick with my local supermarket and wash the veggies as usual,,,and I don't eat red meat so I am basically a chicken and fish girl anyway....so any tips for a newbie...or reconfigured atkins to pp newbie????

i walk everyday and lift every other day.
  #2826   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 11:31

Stats: 215/164/158 Female 68 inches (5' 8")
BF:much/less/now :-)
Progress: 89%

I eat nearly all organic/free-range/pesticide free but not because of the PP reccomendations (although its nice that they back up my choices). I've done it for other health reasons to eliminate as many chemicals that mimic hormones in the body. I do still eat some processed type foods, and use some non-"natural" calorie free sweeteners, but then we all have our vices

My supplement regimine is very similar to what is in PP, but with a couple of changes/addtions as reccomended for my health situation. Occasionally I eat grain based foods, but rarely, because they don't really set well with me. I don't eat unfermented soy products of any kind (unless it cannot be avoided).

its working for me, but mostly because 1) my other option invloves taking several prescription medicaitons and dealing with side effects 2) I'm not extreme about it - To give some examples: we are not eating organic when we go out, I occasionally order wings from the local wing place - goddess only knows what's in those , and if I'm craving a cookie I make a batch of low carb ones either with or without grain products. Right now there is no commercially available organic unsweetened non-dairy non-soy based low carb "milk" substitute unless I make my own almond milk at home from organic almonds. I'm just a bit too lazy/busy for that so I buy the non-organic blue diamond stuff.

Welcome to the site!
  #2827   ^
Old Fri, Jan-12-07, 15:10

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

Tmajic: there is also a Protein Power Lifeplan that is a bit newer. I'd also recommend reading through some of their blogs at proteinpower.com. Good stuff in there and in the comments.

You don't have to be at the purist level (paleo) to be doing PP. That's your choice.

I tried the organic free range chicken once and it tasted so good that I get that most of the time now.

I read Regina's column back in August where she lost 10 pounds the first week and 5 the second by making sure she had a good omega-3 balance. Maybe the CLA in the grass fed beef helped too. I make bone broth and I think it's better to not have the hormones in my soup. I also like the idea of getting meat from humanely-raised animals from local farms.

I also did a taste test of some organic veggies such as red peppers and they were noticably better.

I eat so much less food now so I don't mind paying a little more for certain things. My food bill is less because I don't drink pop or have other unnecessary snacks.
  #2828   ^
Old Mon, Jan-15-07, 14:05
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Hi everyone. Sorry I didn't keep up with this thread since the weekend. I wasn't feeling all that hot the end of last week so I rested.

Welcome tmagic! You've already gotten some great advice and I guess I'll just add to it.

For me, I started out utterly hedonist (this is a reference from PPLP regarding the levels of following PP) and still have many of those tendencies, but I can say I still felt a positive difference immediately. That was one of the things I loved about this plan - it's on a sliding scale, so you can start out with the basics and just make it better and better as you go. I think the Eadeses say something like you can get "80% of the benefit with just 20% of the effort". The idea is, just make the basic changes and you'll start controlling your insulin and reap the rewards before you even think about exercise or organic foods or what-have-you.

Before I continue with a few food recommendations, let me first say that AuntJoyce is absolutely right about PPLP. I'd suggest if you read PP and you like the plan, then get PPLP and start reading it. PP was written -- as I see it -- to help us understand the WHY of PP. PPLP helps hone in FAR more on the HOW. It seems as though you're already convinced of the "why" so hopefully between us and reading PPLP you'll ease into the plan better.

That being said, feel free to just start applying the very basic principles of PP to your eating and don't worry about what's organic just yet. I'm a huge beef eater, so I'm taking my chances, but the fact that you do chicken and fish is GREAT. You're already poised to get sufficient fish oil in your diet, which is fantastic. From there, consider upgrading things little by little.

For example, I started consistently taking more supplements, starting with a basic multi-vitamin and then waiting for a sale on Nature's Way vitamins and then stocking up. I also shop at supermarkets that have lots of organic options, so my greens are always organic. But it took me awhile to work on my budget and to compare cost and quality before settling on some of these choices. The meat is where I still fall short, because I go more for sales. However, I made a concerted effort to start purchasing cage-free eggs and nitrate-free (uncured) bacon and all I can say is what a difference! Plus if you hit sales right, the price difference isn't much to speak of and the ROI for what you get is well worth the difference there is.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the idea. You have to think in terms of investments and what is important to you. But honestly just being here and doing what you're doing is a great start! Feel free to take your time with the transition.

Good luck! We're here if you need help!
  #2829   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-07, 07:57

BF:

I had a great run yesterday! I did 26 miles! I did 10 in the mountains and 16 on flat dirt roads. Next time I need to do it all in the mountains, because my 32 mile run is all mountains. I feel really good today, went to muscle tonning class this morning.
  #2830   ^
Old Tue, Jan-16-07, 10:26
Taking MY Turn

BF:

Songberrie you are kickin' butt and takin' names! Didn't you have a special run/marathon kinda thing over the weekend too? I can't keep tracking, you're running too fast for me to keep up. LOL

I had a super session with my trainer yesterday. I love this guy. He's challenging me while keeping me safe from injury, which is perfect. And I'm learning some awesome ab workouts too.
  #2831   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 07:51

BF:

Lisa - I ended up not doing the half marathon. The town that was doing it was 6 hrs away and through a few passes and they were getting hit with a really bad storm. So, I'm just doing my training for my 50k that's in a few weeks.

Hey, can you share some of those ab exercises?
  #2832   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 09:58

Plan: LC/GF/IF
Stats: 237.0/223.6/174.6 Female 5 ft 10 in
BF:42%.
Progress: 21%

Just to jump in here. I started the Couch to 5K challenge and have completed two days. After the first day I was really sore but after yesterday no soreness at all. It feels really good to be exercising. Next week I hope to add in Pilates. I believe that a large part of my weight is lack of exercise rather than overeating.
  #2833   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-07, 12:01
Registered Member

BF:

Well people is has been two whole weeks for me on PP and guess what...1 pound..thats it!!!! What am I doing wrong?? I excercise every day!!!! I follow the rules too...so what is it? Now I know I have to give it a lot more time, but EVERYONE I know had dropped major weight the first two weeks....I already convinced myself that one more week is going to show more results, so I am committed, but any words of advice will really give me some confidence for the coming week..thanks!
  #2834   ^
Old Fri, Jan-19-07, 20:24
Taking MY Turn

BF:

All I can say is keep monitoring what you're doing. The fact is, with Atkins and a lower carb level per day I think there is more speed. But I like PP for the long-term aspects of it. To me 30 carbs seems more livable (though often I'll only hit 20 I like to have the room). You are also fairly close to your goal weight, so that's something to consider. I honestly wouldn't go into PP expecting to see results like Atkins in the first two weeks. Anyone else here on PP with me on this or did you see a woosh?

Tmajic, I'm glad you're doing this and I wonder if you're feeling any better or any benefits? I also wonder how you ate before and how you are following the plan now. Also, have you measured yourself? I find that my size has gone done plenty without the scale following (because of muscle)

Just some PP "food for thought" Good job on sticking with it and keeping the positive attitude!
  #2835   ^
Old Sat, Jan-20-07, 12:34

Plan: Protein Power /Bernstein
Stats: 250/225/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 25%

tmajic: Are you measuring your veggies and protein sizes? I did that for a week, and was shocked at how much I was underestimating. At my starting weight, height and activity level, I could have 6oz of protein for each meal. But I realized I could easily put away twice that.

I personally also found that moving toward the purist paleo level was just easier for me. I had no dairy or grains or even artificially sweetened things for 2 months and I lost 2 pounds a week pretty consistently. I then did add back some sugar free jello and a little cheese.

So I would recommend really measuring everything for a while and staying close to your minimum amount of protein. Then if you still don't lose after a few weeks, take a look at how much fat you are eating. Choose chicken breasts and fish more than turkey thighs and rib steaks. Make sure you get plenty of omega 3s. I also think it is best to not snack between meals so you give your body a rest from digestion. A little rumble in the tummy is not a bad thing.

Does that make sense?
Closed Thread