Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 02:44

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Bittersweet Chocolate = Unsweetened???

Just wondering if bittersweet chocolate is the same thing as unsweetened? Have seen a few recipes lately calling for it and I'm not sure...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-03-04, 13:51
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hey! Where have you been hanging out? Bittersweet chocolate has sugar in it. Here's a brief description of the various types of chocolate:

http://www.shoppingplace.com/chocolates/types.html

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 00:18

BF:

Hmmmmm interesting! I saw bittersweet, semi-sweet AND unsweetened at the Gourmet Warehouse today! And yet that page says that bittersweet IS semi-sweet.

Signed,

Still confused,
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-04-04, 08:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Here's something I once wrote on chocolate that may clear it up for you...
Quote:
Unsweetened Chocolate

This is the very familiar baking and cooking chocolate that can be purchased easily in supermarkets everywhere. It should not be confused with bittersweet chocolate. It has no sugar and is much too strong for an eating chocolate. It is the closest we can get to buying pure chocolate liquor since it contains nothing more than cocoa solids and cocoa butter.

Sweet Chocolate

Sweet chocolate includes all dark chocolates that have any amount of sugar added. Sweet chocolate must contain a minimum of 35% chocolate liquor, but most good-quality chocolates have closer to 55%. At the high end, some dark chocolates have as much as 70% or more.

Bittersweet and semisweet chocolate are subcategories of sweet chocolate. Both must also contain a minimum of 35% chocolate liquor, semisweet chocolate will contain less sugar than sweet chocolate, and bittersweet even less. The significant difference is that bittersweet is has a more pronounced flavour because of the amount of chocolate liquor and of course, less sugar. You need not alter and recipe when interchanging either semi-or bittersweet chocolate.

Cocoa Powder

There are two types of cocoa powder: natural unsweetened and Dutch processed. The Dutch version was founded by a man named Van Houten who developed a technique to of alkalizing cocoa powder to neutralize its acids. The process is called “Dutching”.

Because it is neutral and does not react with baking soda, it must be used in recipes calling for baking powder, unless their are other acidic ingredients in sufficient quantities used such as buttermilk or sour cream. It has a reddish-brown color, mild flavor, and is easy to dissolve in liquids. Droste, Lindt, Fry’s, and Valrhona are all examples of Dutch process cocoa.

Natural unsweetened cocoa powder tastes bitter and gives a deep chocolate flavor to baked goods. Its intense flavor is suited for use in brownies, cookies and some chocolate cakes. When natural cocoa – an acid – is used in recipes calling for baking soda –an alkali–it creates a leavening action that causes the batter to rise when baked. Popular brands are Hershey's, Ghirardelli, and Scharffen Berger. Because of the differences in cocoa powders, do not substitute one for the other in recipes.

The only thing you have to know is to stay away from chocolate that contains sugar. I've heard a rumour that the GW will be carrying maltitol sweetened Callebaut in the near future if you want to go that route.

Karen

Last edited by Karen : Thu, Nov-18-04 at 01:32.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-05-04, 00:59

BF:

Oh, they have the maltitol-sweetened Callebaut now! I was looking at it the other day - apparently, it is the equivalent in sweetness to semi-sweet, or so the salesclerk told me. Can't think why I didn't buy any, but then again, I have a lot of unsweetened here already...