Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 13:11
LCing for health!

Plan: GF whole foods
Stats: 160/140/140 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Natural LC Wraps/Tortillas (gluten-free)

Just had a yummy wrap sandwich for lunch! These are perfect for quesadillas as well. They are much lighter in texture than store bought wraps, and better for you.

More photos here at my blog.

Healthy Gluten-Free Wraps/Tortillas

Makes two wraps

Ingredients:

2 tablespoons flax seed meal
1 tablespoon sesame seed meal
2 tablespoons pecan or almond meal
1 tablespoon oat OR buckwheat flour
1/2 teaspoon whey protein powder
1/2 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
1/8 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon coconut milk or heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon honey
4 tablespoons warm water
Herbs and spices, to taste

Preparation:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.

Mix together dry ingredients. Whisk together wet ingredients in a separate bowl. Beat wet ingredients into dry ingredients vigorously with a mixer or whisk. Divide batter into two sticky masses. Drop in balls on to a silicone baking mat greased with olive oil. Press a piece of plastic wrap over dough balls. Flatten rounds with hand, and use a rolling pin over the plastic wrap until dough is 1/8 inch thickness. Peel off plastic wrap and smooth over any bubbles with fingertips. Bake at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Let wraps rest on silicone mat until lukewarm to the touch, then carefully run a sharp spatula around the bottom to unstick. Let cool completely and store between sheets of paper towel in a plastic baggie on the countertop.

If you over bake the wraps, there will be dry crispy spots on them. If you under bake the them, they will be doughy on the inside. The key is the make sure the dough is spread evenly, with the thickness uniform throughout. It might take a couple of tries because of variations in oven temperatures.

~4g net carbs per wrap

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 18:09

Plan: gluten free atkins maint.
Stats: 250/155/180 Male 6 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 136%

Thank you!

I've played around a bit trying to make gluten free wraps but never found any that held together properly and/or didn't taste bad.
I like your recipe since it doesnt have that much flax...because to me to much flax just doesnt agree with my tastebuds. I think I might try using some ground hemp seeds for half the flax.
Any particular reason you use apple cider vinegar compared to any other vinegars? Or more just personal preferance?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 21:05
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Thank you!

I've played around a bit trying to make gluten free wraps but never found any that held together properly and/or didn't taste bad.
I like your recipe since it doesnt have that much flax...because to me to much flax just doesnt agree with my tastebuds. I think I might try using some ground hemp seeds for half the flax.
Any particular reason you use apple cider vinegar compared to any other vinegars? Or more just personal preferance?

No reason. It's just the kind I have on hand and use a lot. I don't like much of a flax taste either! Never could do the one minute flax muffin, LOL.

These wraps hold together nicely. The xanthan gum makes it happen! Hope you try 'em and enjoy.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 22:02

BF:

Awesome. Might make some over the weekend then, probably will use white wine vinegar though instead.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-17-08, 22:29

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 257/232/200 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 44%

Can you make these by grilling them on the stve top like a traditional tortilla or do they have to go in the oven (the weather is so hot here!)? Also, is there a good substitute for the sesame seed meal? Thanks in advance! -Denise
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-08, 14:03
LCing for health!

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deniselisa
Can you make these by grilling them on the stve top like a traditional tortilla or do they have to go in the oven (the weather is so hot here!)? Also, is there a good substitute for the sesame seed meal? Thanks in advance! -Denise

I think you could use another tablespoon of flax, but the flaxy taste might be overpowering. Sesame seeds are available at all major grocery stores, and you can grind them up with your coffee grinder.

The dough is soft and sticky, so I don't know if you could get it off the plastic wrap and into a frying pan without tearing it. You could try it!
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 14:03

BF:

Made these this morning. Very tasty. (I had tuna salad with chopped tomato cucumber and onion filling them for lunch).

I went with the oat flour (a brand certified safe for celiacs) rather than the buckwheat, and I did use ground hemp seeds for half the flax. Oh and a mix of cyclamate and stevia instead of the honey. I made them pretty basic this time so only used some chopped parsley to give them some colour and a tiny amount of minced garlic and onion. I used white wine vinegar instead of the cider vinegar.
I think keeping these proportions using some whole grain corn flour instead of the oats or buckwheat would taste good to (for those that can handle a little corn). Or ground sunflower seeds instead of the sesame.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jul-19-08, 14:07

BF:

Just thought of also that for those of us who dont enjoy the taste of flax I bet ground chia seeds would work great since they have the same type of consistency.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-21-08, 21:25
LCing for health!

BF:

Thanks for trying these, Luke! Glad you enjoyed.

I tried some substitutions myself today. Great idea about subbing the white wine vinegar for the ACV. Guess it doesn't make much of a difference!

Here are the substitutions that work:

Flax meal in place of the sesame meal
White wine vinegar in place of the apple cider vinegar
Blackstrap molasses in place of the honey

You can also just bake these on a cookie sheet greased with butter or olive oil. No need for a silicone baking mat.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 18:18

BF:

ok I tried these again, here's what I did this time:

I used the gold flax like your blog shows, but only used half of what you call for again, for the other half I used chia seeds.
Used hazelnut meal instead of the pecan or almond, but substituted half the nut amount with ground sunflower seeds.
I did use apple cider vinnegar this time (brags brand if that makes any difference in the slightest but I doubt it).
Used a mix of erythritol and stevia instead of the honey.
I used coconut cream this time instead of the heavy cream.
Whole corn flour instead of the oat or buckwheat flour.

The spices I added were cayenne, parsley, cinnamon, thyme and tarragon.

Again turned out great. Had egg salad this time with some baby spinach leaves and red onion.

The proportions of the ingredients seem to work awesome even with some substitutions as long as everything is kept in your ratio.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-08, 15:49
Registered Member

Plan: all meat low starchy veg
Stats: 130/125/120 Male 178 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

I fried the dough instead of baking it
because it sticks to the foil and I tried oiling the foil before bake
it tastes the same fry or bake~!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-23-08, 10:39

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Hey Lauren -- I finally got around to making these today. Your recipe's a winner! How nice to have a breakfast burrito with bacon and avocado. I'll definitely add these to my repertoire. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

I think I might try making a larger batch of batter and see if I can keep it in the fridge for a week, scooping out wrap at a time. That would save a lot of measuring.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 20:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeA
Made these this morning. Very tasty. (I had tuna salad with chopped tomato cucumber and onion filling them for lunch).

I went with the oat flour (a brand certified safe for celiacs) rather than the buckwheat, and I did use ground hemp seeds for half the flax. Oh and a mix of cyclamate and stevia instead of the honey. I made them pretty basic this time so only used some chopped parsley to give them some colour and a tiny amount of minced garlic and onion. I used white wine vinegar instead of the cider vinegar.
I think keeping these proportions using some whole grain corn flour instead of the oats or buckwheat would taste good to (for those that can handle a little corn). Or ground sunflower seeds instead of the sesame.

Hey, Luke, just asking, but you do know that buckwheat isn't a wheat at all, right? I'm only wondering since you mentioned the celiac-safe oat flour in the same sentence....

#14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 20:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandGirl
Hey, Luke, just asking, but you do know that buckwheat isn't a wheat at all, right? I'm only wondering since you mentioned the celiac-safe oat flour in the same sentence....

Yup, I knew, I just don't like the taste of buckwheat much. Except in pancakes.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Nov-09-08, 23:11
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thank you guys so much for the recipe and variants!

Questions:

1. So the original recipe up top makes only 2 wraps?

2. Stored in an unclosed plastic bag with paper towels between them, at room temp (say 72 degrees), about how long do these last?

3. Has anybody tried freezing one or two, then thawing and grill-warming?

I ask because I tend to avoid things that are a whole complex recipe, but if I could make a bunch at once, I'd be more likely to use them.